Sign in to follow this  
dgoodfellow

Basement Lego City update 3 Roads, Roads, Roads

Hi everyone,

We just posted the third instalment in our lego town construction video series. This one focuses on showing the lego roads we constructed. We chose a snot road construction technique rather than road plates. as we had more flexibility in fitting streets of different widths into our layout.

Hope you like the video. Thank you for the comments and subscribes. my daughter loves hearing from people and seeing the viewer stats from around the world.

This video also shows the Trains touring the town. Next video should include the new Cinema.

Cheers

Edited by dgoodfellow

Great town you guys have there :) the roads look great! I'd love you to check out my town, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyc1983/ and also the videos i made on youtube here:

i'd love to know what you guys think. I have some new modular buildings on their way to me too so there will be an update in the next couple of weeks.... :D

Great work! :D

dgoodfellow, I like the look of your SNOT roads and can see that they are a much more flexible system than the standard road plates. Your whole town looks great too and is something that both you and your daughter can be very proud off.

Very nice roads dgoodfellow! I have been contemplating which route I'd take on roads for my layout. I'd love baseplates, easy, low maintenance, but expensive and not very versatile. Painted roads, cheap, limitlessly customizable (grades, turning degrees, detailing, etc), but a bit labor intensive. Lastly are brick-built. Very detailed, keeps with everything LEGO, and can be made into varying turn degrees. However, like base plates, I imagine this can get quite expensive and is very labor intensive. Roughly what costs could I expect, say on an area like yours? :classic:

Timmy we are look forward to setting up our minifigures to tell some stories like you have. Great job.

Cheers

Price wise it isn't so bad. your looking at 9 to 15 per 32 stud road length. So it is comparable to road plates. Now if you want to mont them properly there are a few more bricks involved and it should be mounted to a baseplate, so you would be at around double the cost of baseplate roads.

They go together crazy fast too if you have all the parts sorted. My daughter and I built them all in one evening. now they aren't mounted to the sidewalks yet. that will be a bit more work. we don't have the right parts for that project yet.

Edited by dgoodfellow

Great update! The brick built streets look great. I see you've done some eBay purchases(Chilis, Taco Bell, McDs). Looking good. :thumbup:

The brick built roads look soo much better then the base plates IMHO.

You really created some depth by placing the Town Hall and Fire Brigade in a street behind the 'main street'. Do like :grin:

Hi dgoodfellow, I was curious about the road and am definitely impressed!

Eventhough it does bring complexity as you have to push up your buildings, the result definitely makes it worth! In Europe we don't have (at least not that I know of) streets with yellow stripes in the middle, but the 3 colors together (black, white and yellow) really makes an interesting contrast, absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to see your next video!

Kind regards from Switzerland

Legostylefilms does a nice little video on youtube showing how the roads go together. We have a few roads that use a bunch of 1x8 black bricks but those are harder to come buy so a bunch of them are built from 1x4 bricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmKHRfQ0pLk

I thought the town hall was really screaming out to be the focus of a street vista so that's why I went with the two streets. Enclosing the street with buildings on each side is kind of cool, When I mount the streets properly the sidewalks will be slightly wider too, I think that will solve some of the narrow street criticisms.

Having the train on the perimeter of the table is taking up valuable table space, which has also forced the back street to be somewhat compromised in that it only has sidewalks on one side. But I think the dynamic of having the train in this part of the layout is worth the sacrifice. Glad to hear everyone is enjoying it.

Next video will probably feature the Cinema in the empty lot across from the haunted house. We bought it but need to go pick it up in the states from the shipping warehouse. We'll try to get down there in the next couple weeks. More road bricks are on rout too so we can extend the road out to the burbs where the apple tree house is.

Always nice ot see updates from your town! :)

Greetings from Denmark