wooootles

MOC: Barnes & Noble / Starbucks Store

I was just at a B&N picking up a few things, and I have to say, this is amazing. The LEGO shelf is really neat as well.

Awesome work!

-Sci

bump :sweet:

Finally finished a reverse-built LDD version. 99% accurate (some of the Jamie-style 'cheating' can't be done in LDD)

I just opened a Brickshelf account, so here's the LXF file if anyone wants to poke around with it. Almost 4600 pieces LOL, I guess I underestimated it vastly.

8703898112_eae8d074b6.jpg

I ve already built this one from your moc

residence_0.jpg_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to "copy" the reading and coffee shop ?

I would try to make it like the "flatiron" building in New York.

and thanx for the LXF file !! :classic:

:

Where does it end... can it possibly get even more beautifull than this?? I almost feel sad when i see a building like this.. sad because i'm not as creative as Wooootles....must be great to be able to create buildings like these...!!

Sooo great!!

When i first time saw your work, i try to rebuild in LDD, i got the first two floor without interior decoration, i think i will continue the building, but thanks the file.

Still my favorite modular moc

Magnificent. Especially to someone like me who's gone to Starbucks on a daily basis for about 20 years and recently discovered that Legos are for adults, too. BTW. How about selling a completed version? Buy about 10 sets worth of bricks, find a few neighborhood kids and pay them to assemble complete buildings. :-). Sorry. Just can't get the capitalist out of me.

Again, outstanding. A work of art.

I also really like your aircon units on the roof - and will be pinching elements of the design if that's OK with you? :sweet:

I have now successfully plundered your air con design for my fire station. Here's the units in situ:

IMAG0153.JPG

So a great big thanks to you for helping with the finishing touches to my roof spaces!!

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Hey guys, I'm not sure if you have seen it, but this MOC has just been copied by Lepin :hmpf_bad:

14572249_1198578116850258_82301469337384

Lol.  :wacko:

At the same time, the LDD -was- out there. And also, I saw some of the car MOCs floating on Instagram (Rolls Royce in particular) flaunting it as if it's their own (I have shared the LDD to a few).  Needless to say, next time of people want  a replica of my MOCs they have more than a few angles on flickr to study.

These images have just appeared online. And it seems that there are more MOCs being copied :angry:

14568130_1198578150183588_27324024003001

Damn woootles I feel sorry for you...

I fear this might be a reaction of Lepin being sued by TLG. I dont see a chance of a single person taking legal actions and winnimg against those clowns from Lepin...

What's more shameful is that now people are implying that someone like me may have in fact struck a deal with these knockoff companies.  From brickset:

I dunno. Give the creator a couple of dozen copies of his own set, and he doesn't have much choice but to give them to his friends - I imagine a few will have similar skills. It costs next to nothing, but it piques the interest of quite a few people - without there being an argument about them being copies. Couple that with a bit of press coverage about proficient builders endorsing LEPIN, and all of a sudden you've opened up a whole new market.

Why do people submit models to Ideas? Presumably mainly for some sort of Kudos. If TLG reject you, then some people may not like the idea of teaming up with LEPIN but it's the only real alternative if that's what you want. And let's face it, he or she isn't exactly appreciated by TLG or their followers so they may be feeling aggrieved.

LEPIN could probably go a long way with Ideas rejects. There'll always be lots of people who'll go along with them, simply because there are so many that are disappointed. It would pay to get MOCers on side simply because it's a virtually endless source of good copyright-free models - which tends to take the brake off of their activities and leaves their critics floundering.

It's sad that I have to say this, but here goes.

I DID NOT TEAM UP WITH ANY KNOCK-OFF COMPANY TO GET THIS MOC PRODUCED AS A SET.  I will NEVER accept any money from anyone to reproduce this set.  I am in no way "aggrieved" that my MOC didn't get selected.  I did not feel "rejected" by TLG.  I did not build this MOC purely as an Ideas submission; I just added it later to see how far it would go.  

I wish I could reply directly to the guy over at Brickset but I didn't have an account and they have an archaic signup so it won't be for a while until I do so.  Anyways, that's that; I didn't realize that I could be assumed as some "slighted" fellow who went to a knock-off company to get my ideas made and point across... This situation has now gone worse if my reputation is on the line.  In the meantime I deleted my brickshelf files, so no more LDD LXFs for anyone.

Do you want me to write your answer on brickset? I think it is important to share your thoughts :sceptic:

As I said in the Modular discussion thread, let's not give companies that rip off TLG or AFOLs any further free publicity.

Thanks.

I know you will hate me, but I would buy this LEPIN sets. 

If LEPIN is copying my custom figures or MOCs, I will take it easy because it's no big deal for me. 

I would buy the yellow building of RogerSmiths signature from LEPIN too. 

Edited by Florian_Wayne

12 hours ago, wooootles said:

At the same time, the LDD -was- out there. And also, I saw some of the car MOCs floating on Instagram (Rolls Royce in particular) flaunting it as if it's their own (I have shared the LDD to a few).  Needless to say, next time of people want  a replica of my MOCs they have more than a few angles on flickr to study.

Do you sell the plans for this set?

I'll be honest, I would like to buy this Lepin model because I love the Modular line. But, I'd only feel comfortable doing so if the designer was rewarded in some manner for their creative and intellectual effort in designing the Modular in the first place.

10 hours ago, wooootles said:

What's more shameful is that now people are implying that someone like me may have in fact struck a deal with these knockoff companies.  From brickset:

It's sad that I have to say this, but here goes.

I DID NOT TEAM UP WITH ANY KNOCK-OFF COMPANY TO GET THIS MOC PRODUCED AS A SET.  I will NEVER accept any money from anyone to reproduce this set.  I am in no way "aggrieved" that my MOC didn't get selected.  I did not feel "rejected" by TLG.  I did not build this MOC purely as an Ideas submission; I just added it later to see how far it would go.  

I wish I could reply directly to the guy over at Brickset but I didn't have an account and they have an archaic signup so it won't be for a while until I do so.  Anyways, that's that; I didn't realize that I could be assumed as some "slighted" fellow who went to a knock-off company to get my ideas made and point across... This situation has now gone worse if my reputation is on the line.  In the meantime I deleted my brickshelf files, so no more LDD LXFs for anyone.

how rude that ppl in brickset make such a judgement!

Really sad to see lepin doing that to your moc.

14 hours ago, Florian_Wayne said:

I would buy the yellow building of RogerSmiths signature from LEPIN too. 

While I appreciate the sentiment as a compliment, this whole development has further convinced me in my stance of not sharing the LDD files for my buildings with anyone.
So far, I wouldn't do it for fear of someone using them to create & sell instructions (without crediting/sharing revenue with me), but these recent developments are an entirely new dimension.

Btw: The exterior design of my Record Store (the 'yellow building' from my sig) was itself heavily inspired by a MOC by cimddwc (called The Chima Trikes Store). I reengineered the basic exterior features from the pics of his MOC - WITH his explicit permission, of course.
This is the way I think it should be done, imho. We're all fellow AFOLs and should treat each others creations with the respect they deserve (and that we would surely expect from others if they were our own).
Knowingly buying knock-offs, or unauthorized instructions, is not the way to do things, even if it's 'easier'.

You're always welcome to draw inspiration and build your own interpretation, after all  :classic:.

I'm kinda curious, does anyone know if LDD files or instructions for the other knock-off modulars were available at any point? I'd guess so, since I can't imagine the knock-off brand completely reengineering a building from a few pictures. Will be interesting to see how the instructions turn out, too, as now they can't just copy the original Lego ones onto fewer pages...

@Rick: I completely understand your point, and I also think that no publicity at all should go to the knock-off brand. No links, pictures, or even mentions of the name. But I feel that the issue itself is still worth discussing, especially as a member of this board is directly affected. I hope this is okay with you.