Sign in to follow this  
Bob

The Pearl - Conclusion

Yea! I survived to the end of the game, and was part of the winning team!

Bob, thanks for having me play. I had a really good time and, despite some of my mistakes, I think that I am getting better. I still have a ways to go but at least I made some improvement.

I think that the numerous factions was a fun twist and unexpected. I will agree that it seemed a little stacked against the scum since all the factions wanted to find scum for one reason or another. Not to be rude (I can only imagine how hard it must be to host) but I think one reason the game is over so quickly is due to Bob's comments in some of the day threads. It lead us away from wrong theories and helped to confirm some that we already had.

Thomas

Passenger Number: 8188

You’re Thomas, you’re a simple passenger aboard the Pearl. You came to the ship because you wanted to see all the fish, but you boarded the wrong ship. Now, instead of going to the Caribbean, you’re going to England via New York Harbor. Oops! The situation was resolved, so you’re not a stowaway or anything silly like that.

You’re innocent and have no night actions.

I too was quite surprised to see the game end so soon, but we obviously did a good job, Townies! :sweet: Okay, maybe not me, but I tried to stay active at least.

My role... just plain old vanilla again:

Richard

Passenger Number: 6455

You’re Richard. You’re a simple passenger aboard the Pearl that likes to dress up for every occasion. You’re also crazy-insane, and you’re a member of the Cult of the Properly Dressed Gentlemen. The cult is very selective, so you’re just here on this vacation to have a good time.

You’re innocent and have no night actions.

Not as exciting as I first thought. :grin:

Also, I have to say that after Day 2 I was convinced or at least pretty sure that ADOH and Legonator were scum based mainly on how quick/willing they were to follow me in my blind rage-fuelled attacks on Def and what I thought was a lie-of-a-town block!!

Come on! It's only four letters! :hmpf::tongue:

I really wasn't 'following you' there; we just happened to share similar opinions. I meant everything I said at that point and genuinely felt more confident voting for the person I found more suspicious. I wasn't defending Peanuts, or being awkward and anti-Town, just going with who I thought was more guilty. In the end, the better thing happened and Peanuts was lynched.

Apologies to def if I got overly angry or insulting there, but I'm sure you're used to it. :tongue:

Bob, I did enjoy playing this game for the most part, so thank you for having me. You were a good host, and always very punctual. However, I agree with def: you intefered way too much and it was easy to take what you said as back up for someone's claim. That is, when you weren't outright dismissing number theories. :tongue:

And hooray! I could finally be seen in one of the start-of-day pics! :laugh:

Oh, and I think making everyone look so similar made things a bit more difficult to remember at the start of the game. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got, and it may have led to the quicker-than-usual deterioration of all theming and using people's character names. :sceptic:

Such a thing isn't really important I guess, but it makes the game more enjoyable, in my opinion.

The numbers thing was interesting. It gave everyone a talking point at the start of the game, and actually helped us clear Bill (Redblade) on the last day: he missed his number, which the revealed scum (Pie, Danny, and Peanuts) hadn't. There was no way the scum wouldn't have talked about them. If it affected the balance at all, it therefore gave scum a slight disadvatage, but would have had little effect if the scum hadn't been unlucky early on.

Hooray for temporary incompetence! :grin:

I actually thought Redblade was the tracker. :blush: I figured the tracker would have known Pie was lying, and maintained their vote - which only Redblade and Danny did. Danny was obviously scummy (sorry Danny, but you were), but Redblade looked a good candidate - there was even a suggestive exchange with def. As I pointed out in PM, the actual tracker - Sandy - even unvoted Pie! That goes to show how good Pie's defence was. :wub:

Man, I hate being vanilla. All this interesting stuff happened to me or around me and I don't even find out about it until now! :tongue:

As for not unvoting Pie, I guess I just saw something you lot didn't. :grin:

Thanks for letting me play, Bob. It was good fun serving under you, oh captain, my captain!

I guess I could have spoken up more, but that's just how I play vanilla. I don't have any actions, so I can't clear anyone on my own, so I don't know who to trust, so I trust nobody, so I stay quiet. I really have to work on that. :sceptic: Either way, great game everyone! Now, clear up this mess before I have you men flogged!

Also, I have to say that after Day 2 I was convinced or at least pretty sure that ADOH and Legonator were scum based mainly on how quick/willing they were to follow me in my blind rage-fuelled attacks on Def and what I thought was a lie-of-a-town block!!

I don't remember this. In fact, I seem to recall being fairly defensive of Def, if anything.

There was no way the scum wouldn't have talked about them.

:blush: Er, not at all. We didn't even mention them...

Well, that's equally frustrating. One action per person per night. Maybe that's just me though, since I've seen other hosts do that before.

I really think the balance would have been even worse if we had to sacrifice all our night actions for the possibility to steal. Players with two actions would have been the lesser evil, I think.

I would really like to have some feedback/impressions from you guys so as to polish my style for future games!!

Did you really still trust me even after there was an investigation result? Anyway, I think you were far too tunneled on def :wink:

What I can say about the game layout is, that it was definitely intriguing. It was very well-designed, though, no offense, Bob. For example, the game would have been a lot fairer if the other thieves would have to keep the diamond until the end (or at least hold it for a certain period of time, such as three days in a row). And if a player has fulfilled their condition, they should be taken out of the game! That way whoever steals the diamond wouldn't want to draw too much attention, and their roles aren't just another method of investigation.

I enjoyed playing the game, it was confusing at some points, but you'd expect a Bob game to be. I'm not entirely glad about my own performance, either, I think I played to passively and at the same time accused too many players. But it was a good game, even if we were, like, totally underpowered. :grin:

Thanks for a great game, Bob. :classic:

I'm happy with my defense on Day Two, but I got some decent advice from the deadboard on how to make it even better next time.

I don't think the scum were underpowered, it just wasn't anticipated that the neutrals would side so readily with the town.

This was one of the more fun games I've participated in. I was confused, a lot, and the story was fun!

Most of the problems have already been listed, but mainly our win condition changed a few times, and then we weren't aware we were scum until it was too late. Annndd, even though we were scum there wasn't really a way to win as we had no kill action or anything.

Still, a good game overall. :classic:

Well that was an interesting game, with any equally interesting result. :wink: Thanks for hosting this mafia, Bob. I think the game would have been easier if there weren't so many different factions including Not Playing, but it was still great to play in a game with so many different teams.

SNIP

Did you really still trust me even after there was an investigation result? Anyway, I think you were far too tunneled on def :wink:

SNIP

I never trusted you; it was oiginally a ploy to trap you, to tru and have you slip up. Then when the result came back from the investigation, I was already screwed so I pleaded with you to confess your scuminess!!!

I don't remember this. In fact, I seem to recall being fairly defensive of Def, if anything.

What I meant was less "following me" than "had the same idea" which in retrospect was really flawed. Once I came to my senses, I thought this point of view was scummy

Thanks for the game, Bob. :thumbup:

It was nice to play a neutral again, I enjoy the flexibility of the play style. The diamond stealing roles were an interesting concept, but it did make things a little town-weighted. Perhaps us neutrals would've sided with the scum if they had a stronger start, but the fact that the scum needed to keep the diamond to win made the neutral and scum objectives a lot less compatible.

Oh, it's over already? Yay for another survival! :grin:

Thanks for the game, Bob! It was rather easy for us innocents, though. A host shouldn't take sides like you did through the course of the game.

Getting to know that def targeted CM but was unsuccessful on Night One was a game-breaker for me. I knew I could trust def from that point on, and he kept feeding me information that allowed me to join the town block once def was gone (the town block was actually just me, Scuba, TinyPies and Rufus (who smartly did not reveal he was the vigilante at any point) in the end).

Also, on the contrary to the night action results posted here, my night action was actually a tracker. I got to follow someone and see who they targeted, whereas a watcher would have seen everyone who targeted their choice of target. Gotta know your role terms, Bob. :tongue:

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted!

I am genuinely happy how I did in this game, I wasn't a dick! Woohoo, everybody rejoices, root vegetables for everyone!

Yeah, it made me rather suspicious. Like, seriously, what's up with Scuba! *huh*

:grin:

Thanks for hosting, Bob.

As I told you on the writeboard, I think this game was off-balance, favoring the Town. Others have said it already, so I won't go into all the detail I did on the writeboard. I think the most disappointing thing for me, though, was that you gave your second Scum team the wrong win condition and then confirmed their claim after they outed themselves. I know you didn't intend to confirm it but your ":wall::facepalm:" did just that. How would they have out-numbered the Town with no kill or conversion? It was odd to insist the Town couldn't win until they killed badboy either. Once badboy had the diamond, he had won, so it didn't matter, in my opinion, if the Town killed him or not.

In the future, I would suggest being innovative, but not at the sake of being balanced. You had a great idea, but the execution led to an unbalanced game. Plan it all out and really try to run a model of it to see if the Night Actions overpower one side as they did in this one. I hope you'll give it another shot some day, but I would suggest enlisting a co-host next time.

In the future, I would suggest being innovative, but not at the sake of being balanced.

There's good advice for every host, we should put that and "keep it simple" in the hosting application. :thumbup:

For a while there, the trend in EB hosting was to try crazier and crazier things when I think most players just wanted a fun classic game without all the nonsense.

There's good advice for every host, we should put that and "keep it simple" in the hosting application. :thumbup:

For a while there, the trend in EB hosting was to try crazier and crazier things when I think most players just wanted a fun classic game without all the nonsense.

That's funny too, because as much as I've given that advice, I've never been able to follow it. :wacko: I always think I am, but then something always happens that makes someone unhappy, sometimes deeply so. Two Scum teams and an overpowered SK in Baritones 2, a conversion in a 12 person Mafia, a converted serial killer that...well, that one, and the Forest I which was just a mess of host meddling, resurrections, Masons, ninjas, botched results, etc. :blush: Yeah, but wait until you see my next one. I'm going to do something so crazy! :look: I mean...balanced. :blush: I hope it's more than just pretty pictures. :cry_happy:

I never trusted you; it was oiginally a ploy to trap you, to tru and have you slip up. Then when the result came back from the investigation, I was already screwed so I pleaded with you to confess your scuminess!!!

Well, that's definitely good, but I really never would have told anyone I was scum, not even a neutral. I'm way too conservative. I don't think it would have worked either, you shouldn't have attacked def and Badboy that much in public, not without telling def in advance that you were trying to get me to make a mistake.

Baritones IV!!!!!

And I love the new title.

I hope it's more than just pretty pictures. :cry_happy:

There's more to Mafia than just pretty pictures?!? *oh2*

Thanks for letting me aboard, Bob! I had a blast in what little time I had. :sweet:

I realize that I never gave any player feedback or anything, and that's just plain wrong.

alice.jpg

Alice (Passenger) - Played by Rumble Strike

There wasn't anything noticeable about you during the game in my opinion, but it seemed like everyone wanted you dead anyway.

barbara.jpg

Barbara (Passenger) - Played by Def

You came out and helped the town, which is something I didn't really account for. I expected you to work on your own as a lone wolf during the entire game, however you're always citing the importance of team games and working to benefit the town, so I guess that's a reason.

betty.jpg

Betty (Passenger) - Played by Ferrik

You took over for Waterbrick Down, so I won't be giving him feedback. I screwed you over on the last day by confirming Scuba's investigation results in thread, which was a huge mistake and I'm sorry for that.

bill.jpg

Bill (First Officer) - Played by Capt. Redblade

I didn't really notice anything from you either. Maybe I'm fuzzy because the game ended some time ago, but maybe it's because it was just repeats of past things said. You were in hot water for your number mishap on Day One, but you got out of it and skated through the rest of the game without anyone else accusing you.

bristol.jpg

Bristol (Lounge Singer) - Played by Peanuts

You played well, given the fact that badboytje88 and Nightshroud99 screwed you over, but you still tried to defend yourself.

diane.jpg

Diane (Passenger) - Played by TrumpetKing67

You were seriously suspected as well and if I was playing I probably would have voted for you. You still made it out alive, which is surprising because I expected Rufus to kill you several times.

george.jpg

George (Passenger) - Played by The Legonater

Again, I didn't see much from you. You flew under the radar with every aspect in this game.

holly.jpg

Holly (Passenger) - Played by Nightshroud99

You got the luckiest guess! I couldn't believe you targeted Peanuts, I thought for sure you were going to target either Rumble Strike or TheBoyWonder. You won, which is good, but I would have preferred you didn't throw Peanuts under the bus. You gave the scum their win condition back immediately after you came out and said you had the diamond.

jack.jpg

Jack (Medical Officer) - Played by Piratedave84

You were pretty active, but I didn't notice much else that's notable.

jonathan.jpg

Jonathan (Passenger) - Played by Hinckley

You organized yet another town block, but I'm sad that you died on Day Two. You also fooled CallMePie, which was smart. Life lesson to everyone in this situation, also play dumb.

jordan.jpg

Jordan (Passenger) - Played by Tamamono

Your character was my favorite to make! I was so sad when you were voted off, but seriously? You forgot your name?

lauren.jpg

Lauren (Lifeguard) - Played by Scubacarrot

You were pretty much directed by a town block after Day Two from what I heard, but investigating Hinckley on Day One and Rufus on Day Two was metagaming and I suppose was smart. A Day Investigator should have been countered with a scum day action.

mary.jpg

Mary (Passenger) - Played by TheBoyWonder

You were seriously suspected as well and I have no idea as to why. I didn't pick up a scum-vibe off of you too much. You survived and that's pretty surprising I think.

matthew.jpg

Matthew (Passenger) - Played by Adam

You planned on sending me anagrams and songs for your night actions like Dannylonglegs does, but you died before you could. I was very sad.

michael.jpg

Michael (Passenger) - Played by badboytje88

Argh! I'm a bit sad that you outed Peanuts the way you did. You basically placed a huge target on your back which was a major mistake since you're a scum team and needed to be killed for the town to win. It's okay though, the game was heavily flawed anyone and you just basically brought one to the surface.

paul.jpg

Paul (Passenger) - Played by Dannylonglegs

I can't believe you died so soon. :cry_sad: You were pretty obvious on Day Two and that's why Rufus picked to off you.

phil.jpg

Phil (Passenger) - Played by Rufus

You picked pretty good targets. On night one you got rid of the blocker, which was a major error, but I think you realized that and got rid of Dannylonglegs the next night.

pierre.jpg

Pierre (Waiter) - Played by CallMePie

Never ever ever ever get fooled by Hinckley. It's a mistake and you payed the price for it! It would have suited you better to have said "I have no idea what you're talking about".

richard.jpg

Richard (Passenger) - Played by ADHO15

Nothing too notable about you. You got yelled at by def a lot, I know that.

scott.jpg

Scott (Engineer) - Played by CorneliusMurdock

You died so soon! And I was kinda hoping you would act like Scotty from Star Trek, but it was okay you didn't. Naming the engineer Scott was unintentional. I didn't even realize it until after I did it.

stacy.jpg

Stacy (Cruise Director) - Played by Sandy

You played quite well. Every power role went after TheBoyWonder and Rumble Strike, including you. (except for Rufus). I was a bit hoping that you'd be a bit more chipper and louder, but your roleplaying was good.

susan.jpg

Susan (Passenger) - Played by TinyPiesRUs

Flipping the coin was a bit of a bad judgement, but I'm glad you won in the end. You flew under the radar and never were really suspected.

thomas.jpg

Thomas (Passenger) - Captain Genaro

Not much can be said about you...I didn't really even notice you that much. You followed the crowd and survived, so there's that of course.

timothy.jpg

Timothy (Passenger) - Played by Palathadric

Rufus killed you because you defended a scum member. That's about it not much else can be said.

I probably should have done this a bit earlier, but better late then never.

By the way, could someone lock Days 1-4 and the Confirmation Thread?

Thanks for the feedback, Bob.

I have managed to win my last two games as a vanilla Townie, surviving to the end. I know that means that I'm not seen as a threat to anyone, but hey, I'll take the wins.

I didn't like being under suspicion and was frustrated by how everything gets twisted to be a "scum tell". No wonder so many Townies get lynched in EB Mafias generally!

All in all, I think I like the idea of Mafia games more than the reality of them. They do wind me up.

Thanks for your feedback. I don't know how much I emphasize team games so much as win for your team, which means participating rather than letting others do all the heavy lifting. It's more fun, and I think fun for others.

In this game, my team was myself, but the role didn't do much to encourage lone wolf play. I wasn't really mucking up either side, and if there is suspicion cast upon me, it's much better for me to be useful to a side, rather than taken out.

If you were to redo this game, and I don't necessarily think you should, I would emphasize the multiple sides beforehand, rather than have it a secret there are four or five factions. That would allow them to strategize and play off of each other a lot more.

What can I say? My vanilla town record is by no means great: killed by scum late on, lynch early on, killed two other townies, killed by vig relatively early on by game days. Ah well! Oddly, the only game I "lost" was the game where I was killed off by scum. Anyway, thanks for hosting, Bob!

I seriously screwed myself over pushing for the lynch of Badboy and Nightshroud. Odd thing was that by the end I did think Peanuts was scum, but I thought Badboy and Nightshroud would make a better lynch, but I rest my case. :sadnew:

Edited by Palathadric

Thanks for the feedback. I had actually (I think) gotten the trust of Rufus, which I think is how I managed to survive.

I find it ironic how I jokingly targeted Betty several times throughout the game and she ended up being scum. :tongue:

Sign in to follow this