ShaydDeGrai

The pros and cons of being an exhibitor

Brickfete is coming up in July, and its the nearest fan event to where I live (Western New York). I've never gone to a fan event before, and I'm thinking about attending and possibly exhibiting, so I have a few questions.

1. Since I've never been to an AFOL event before, should I just go as a spectator to this one, or exhibit.

2. If I do exhibit, one of the MOCs I have is a SHIP. Would it be extremely inconvenient to carry this across international borders? It can break into smaller sections than the full 113 studs it is.

3. I'm not part of a LUG or other AFOL group. Is it frowned upon for exhibiting alone?

4. How many MOCs can/do people usually exhibit? I have a couple other smaller things that I might bring if I decide to exhibit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) You can go as either one, but I recommend exhibitor. Being an exhibitor is the best way to get to know other builders. I attended my first show as an exhibitor.

2) I don't see why you would have any issues bringing your ship across the border. The border agents may even like what you've built. I've never done it, but I know people who have brought LEGO through border stations or customs at the airport.

3) No need to be part of a LUG. I was not part of a LUG when I displayed at my first event. The event is definitely funner when you have a group to be with, but being part of a LUG isn't required.

4) You should be able to display whatever you want. I've never been to an event that limits what you can display.

I've never been to Brickfete, but I've heard good things about it. You should definitely try to make it. :thumbup:

Brickfete is coming up in July, and its the nearest fan event to where I live (Western New York). I've never gone to a fan event before, and I'm thinking about attending and possibly exhibiting, so I have a few questions.

1. Since I've never been to an AFOL event before, should I just go as a spectator to this one, or exhibit.

2. If I do exhibit, one of the MOCs I have is a SHIP. Would it be extremely inconvenient to carry this across international borders? It can break into smaller sections than the full 113 studs it is.

3. I'm not part of a LUG or other AFOL group. Is it frowned upon for exhibiting alone?

4. How many MOCs can/do people usually exhibit? I have a couple other smaller things that I might bring if I decide to exhibit.

Drawing upon my _vast_ experience of one whole event (which wasn't Brickfete ) I can offer:

1) I chose to go to my first event as an exhibitor in part because the event I was going to had all sorts of special sessions, games, etc. that was only open to exhibitors and it felt like I get more out of the adventure by diving in head first rather than just wading from table to table during public hours. It was a good choice, the private events, members-only viewing of MOCs and after hours stuff was more fun than the "official exhibit" itself (not that that wasn't gratifying as well.

2) I don't know about crossing borders with a MOC (large or otherwise) but I'd think the bigger issue is just making sure you can pack it to minimize any damage in transit while still being able to open it for customs inspection. I made custom boxes for my stuff and was pleasantly surprised at how well they held up despite numerous pot holes and sharing the roadway with some pretty lousy drivers.

3) I wasn't part of any LUG when I went (which did put me a little on the outside of some of the established social circles at first) but my MOCs quickly drew the attention of several LUG members and at least a dozen people representing three different LUGs asked/invited/begged me to consider joining their organization. Again my experience is anecdotal, but I have to think that rather than frown upon non-LUG members showing up, LUGs would be more inclined to seek out and engage potential new members (strength in numbers, new blood, and all that sort of thing).

4) I brought four MOCs (two of which were fairly large) as that was what fit easily in my car. I was sitting next to someone who brought over two dozen (small, but plentiful). The organizers encouraged people to bring as many as we wanted and promised to find table space for whatever showed up. Many people who visited my area said very nice things like "Just these four huh? Next year bring more, I really want to see more of your stuff..." Which sounds a little cheesy now that I'm typing it, but it felt really good to hear when people were actually saying it.

Again, I am most definitely NOT an expert at this sort of thing, but from a newbie perspective, I can say that being an exhibitor was worth the hassles and worries of getting my stuff to and from the show. No one held it against me that I wasn't a member of a LUG though I may sign up for one at some point now. I plan on going back and probably bringing even more stuff with me next time.

I hope you decide to go to an event, and whether you decide to exhibit or not, I hope you have as positive an experience as I did at my first show.

Excellent, thanks for both the answers. I f I do go, I'll go as an exhibitor. Maybe I'll even find a LUG from near here...

I exhibited my first MOC at my first show in Sydney, Australia last month. Not being a member of a LUG made it a great experience, talking to all the members and getting the low-down on the scene and their creations. 25,000+ people came through the show in 9 days ... it was umbelievable talking to sooooo many people.

This is the MOC -> http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81707

Considering the numbers, there wasn't really any damage ... a few soliders moved a bit, but nothing to worry about ... (which I did at first).

I was overjoyed to win 2nd Prize for best in Show, actually beating the 3rd place Ryloth Refinery Battle that is featured on the frontpage of Eurobricks right now .... By the way, the Ryloth scene looks far more amazing in person, it's so good.

I am already excited to build something else and exhibit again ... feels almost like releasing a 2nd album for a band, can you make something better than the first? :-) LOL.

That's pretty lame of the Brickfair folks to do that. :ugh::wall:

My dad received an e–mail with a similar reminder prior to Brickfair New England. I agree, it's a ludicrous restriction. There's no reason you should have to pay to tell people you have a website where they can see more of your stuff, or support the models they see on Cuusoo. My dad isn't an exhibitor, but he volunteers for Brickfair Virginia, so I'll see if he can talk with Todd about this.

Edited by Aanchir

Aanchir, it isn't worth even worrying about.. I already went back and forth with Ian and then Todd himself via email... Supposedly a vendor complained that I was selling stuff, which anyone that seen my stuff on display knows that I had no price tags on anything and was just displaying my work as I do at every show... The Technic guy beside me forgot to take down his swap meet sign and some girl came along and ripped it down... Another registered attendee did ask if I would sell him one of my gearboxes that I had on display and I did... So what? Isn't trading and selling parts encouraged at these events..? What the Hell are we paying an admission fee for..? So that someone else can profit from your presence..?

They also told me that I could keep business cards in my pocket and give them out only if people asked for them.. Well that is all fine and good except it is a little hard to give out cards to people when you are trying to demonstrate how things work in front of 15 other people and a guy with his kids doesn't have time to wait until you get a free minute to talk to him...

And not being allowed to have a simple QR code beside your Cuusoo model to help promote it is just plain asinine... I struggle enough with gaining supports and now you are telling me that I can't gain support from people who are right there in front of the model..? What a joke...

It is bad enough that Brickfair is going to be down in Registered attendees this year purely based off of the fact that Lego isn't offering the 30% discount at the Lego stores anymore, but implementing a bunch of ridiculous rules on top of that to piss off the attendees who do come is an entirely different monster... They claim they don't want a bunch of "Spam" and "Pop-ups" at the show, seriously why should they care..? I bet they'll care when they are down several thousand dollars from the previous year...

Technic is struggling in the U.S. as it is, and I am willing to bet that we had the largest Technic turnout in U.S show history last year, but sadly, that will never happen again... I was so pissed off after talking to Ian and Todd that I wouldn't do another one of their shows if they paid me...

1. Bring something to exhibit.

2. You shouldn't have any problems crossing the border with it. Are you driving or flying?

3. You don't have to be part of LUG or group to exhibit. There are a few people from New York state who goes to Brickfete.

4. As many as you like or space permit. You do have to register any MOC larger than 15"x15" on the Brickfete website.

I'm interested to participate somewhere internationally, but I see a major problem with brick transportation. How far and how do you usually do it? Even with modular houses that are the easiest to pack in boxes, it takes a lot of space. I still haven't made it to the point where I'd actually build MOCs with easy transportation in mind.

On the other hand, being an exhibitor has an advantage of meeting other MOCers and spending more time together (than just being a visitor). As I often travel to Copenhagen, I'd be interested in going to LEGO World. Yet the show being in winter, it's not so easy to travel there by car (2 day drive with likely lots of snow at the start of the trip). Do you have any experience with flying with MOCs? How to pack them and such?

Aanchir, it isn't worth even worrying about.. I already went back and forth with Ian and then Todd himself via email... Supposedly a vendor complained that I was selling stuff, which anyone that seen my stuff on display knows that I had no price tags on anything and was just displaying my work as I do at every show... The Technic guy beside me forgot to take down his swap meet sign and some girl came along and ripped it down... Another registered attendee did ask if I would sell him one of my gearboxes that I had on display and I did... So what? Isn't trading and selling parts encouraged at these events..? What the Hell are we paying an admission fee for..? So that someone else can profit from your presence..?

They also told me that I could keep business cards in my pocket and give them out only if people asked for them.. Well that is all fine and good except it is a little hard to give out cards to people when you are trying to demonstrate how things work in front of 15 other people and a guy with his kids doesn't have time to wait until you get a free minute to talk to him...

And not being allowed to have a simple QR code beside your Cuusoo model to help promote it is just plain asinine... I struggle enough with gaining supports and now you are telling me that I can't gain support from people who are right there in front of the model..? What a joke...

It is bad enough that Brickfair is going to be down in Registered attendees this year purely based off of the fact that Lego isn't offering the 30% discount at the Lego stores anymore, but implementing a bunch of ridiculous rules on top of that to piss off the attendees who do come is an entirely different monster... They claim they don't want a bunch of "Spam" and "Pop-ups" at the show, seriously why should they care..? I bet they'll care when they are down several thousand dollars from the previous year...

Technic is struggling in the U.S. as it is, and I am willing to bet that we had the largest Technic turnout in U.S show history last year, but sadly, that will never happen again... I was so pissed off after talking to Ian and Todd that I wouldn't do another one of their shows if they paid me...

Paul, that is complete madness on the organizer's part. If you remember, I made the trip down to brickfair last year and your overall entire presentation was one of the most professional ones on display. Are LUGs no longer allowed to advertise their LUG or their address either? Sounds to me like whomever is in charge is shooting themselves in the foot.

Excellent, thanks for both the answers. I f I do go, I'll go as an exhibitor. Maybe I'll even find a LUG from near here...

I went down to Rochester in March, and took a side trip to Syracuse, I meet up with LucNY, they are a group of builders from with in a few hours of Syracuse. I am not sure if you are near syracuse, but it might be worth while to contact them.

I hope we see you at Brickfete, There is only 1 month left to register!

Jeff VW

I went to my first LEGO event in September last year - I thought, "why not do it properly" and signed up for Skærbæk. I haven't looked back since. That was my first event - and the next Fan Weekend, this September, will be my seventh. So you can say I got bitten by the bug.

I've been an exhibitor at all the events I've been to so far except LEGO World in Copenhagen, and my experience has been just about all positive - apart from sore feet, I can't really think of much that hasn't been to my liking. I have really enjoyed meeting fellow AFOLs, particularly ones that I knew from Eurobricks so I could match a nickname to a face - that's a great thing. There's also so much mutual respect going on, and that's great - even though somebody else is building in a completely different scale, or stuff from a completely different theme, you can appreciate how much work they have put into their MOCs.

My next event will be Arte em Peças in Portugal in June, and it will be my first ever visit to Portugal. Really looking forward to broadening my horizons even more. And the crazy thing is that before last September, I had never physically met an adult that loved building with LEGO...

Regarding the experience of being an exhibitor, I have to say that children that get overly enthusiastic hasn't really been that much of a problem - in fact, at the Norwegian LUG Brikkelauget's annual exhibition in Trondheim in late April, more adults than children picked my stuff up from my table. And more than once, the kids would go, "Hey! No touching!"