Esben Kolind

MOC: Metro Station with NXT controlled sliding platform doors

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Hi,

At the recent Lego World 2013 in Copenhagen I displayed my model of Islands Brygge Metro Station including NXT controlled sliding platform doors. This model is the fourth in a line of trains with automatic sliding doors, that I have built over the last years (version 1, version 2, version 3).

I have compiled a short video to show all the functionality including some "behind the scenes" footage:

The NXT controls the following:

• Output 1: Running the train on the inner loop (9V)
  • Output 2: Running the opening mechanism for the three sets of platform doors and three stes of train doors
  • Output 3: Running the elevator
  • Light sensor: Stopping the train at the platform (accuracy: 1 stud)
  • Distance sensor: Detecting the lower position of the elevator (dynamically calibrating the elevator cycle)
  • Touch sensor: Detecting the outer position of the opening mechanism (dynamically calibrating the cycle)

In addition, there is a 9V metro train running on the outer loop and PF lights on the platform wall and over the platform door.

Some images of the station, which was part of a bigger display of Islands Brygge, a central neighborhood in Copenhagen:

After moderation, more pictures can be found here.

aimg_3232.jpg

img_3227.jpg

img_3230.jpg

img_3237.jpg

img_3246.jpg

ximg_3165.jpg

The station is modelled very closely after my local metro station, though I have reduced the number of opening doors to three sets. Here are some reference pictures:

img_0036.jpg

img_0039.jpg

I am looking forward to your comments.

Esben

I saw the title of the topic and knew it had to be Esben. Well done! Very clever mechanisms and very well executed.

Trains and NXT, 2 things very close to me, what a wonderful use of the technology, really looks the part, well done

WOW!!! Amazing!!!! I have always wanted to build somtehing like that but the mecanics are not my stuff... You've done it like a real engineer! Congratulations!!!!!!

Awesome work :thumbup: :thumbup: Full of detailes and the doors open system is really interessant :wink:

Wonderful detail. I only wish I knew this much about technic stuff and NXT to be able to use it in my builds.

Jaw droppingly brilliant! An amazing technical achievement; - now all that needs to be done is to devise a way to actually get the minifigs to board the train.

And I must say that the city street above the station is really great too.

Edited by Locomotive Annie

oooh noooo - now I will never forgive myself for not going to Lego World this year...

this is mindblowing - absolutely lovely how you flawlessly combined multiple disciplines in this fantastic model!

This is great - especially as it shows what kind of technical ingeniuity you need to get such small and "simple" details to actually work. You have my deepest respect for what you manage to do with your trains.

On another note: I can't believe I missed this in Copenhagen! I thought I saw everything there, but never noticed this. My loss...

That is great! By the way, I want to know why don't you use PF train instead 9V train? Is it difficult to control?

I had used 4 RCXs to control two 9V trains and one car past, you can view it

now I want to control PF trains with NXT or EV3, but I have no idea to use NXT controlling PF trains, do you have any suggestion?

@mikezang, welcome to Train Tech and EB. Maybe you could introduce yourself first. It would be a good idea to start a new topic on remote controlling trains using EV3 and older mindstorms versions, but I think it would be better to create a new topic for that.

@rrigs: simple solutions are often the best :)