Lobot

BrickLinking (another) 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon

Well, I'm following this topic since it started and I must say I'm very impressed to see the build of this fanastic ship.

If have the UCS Millennium at home but I need a second one and I think Brinklink will give the solution in the future.

You're making me want to build one too :sweet:

It's nice to see the progress, and I can imagine how you feel when you begin to assemble "large" parts :wink:

This truly is an inspirational thread. All of them are!

I too like the progress pics, and like the idea of building the Falcon as you are; big chunks wherever you can. Like making sub-models that will eventually snap together into a beautiful whole.

I don't know how you manage the frustration of not being able to build to the end and waiting on pieces to complete the next part. I know I couldn't.

BTW I have all my pieces now, bagged and tagged, ready to build ! Don't know when I'll begin, will have to schedule a long and dedicated week-end for this.

To those interested, I've started a new topic about printing large manuals such as the 10179's, please share your experience there !

My 10179 is nearly totally finished, I just need to buy the satellite dish (actually I have one withou any marks), and then...i'll mod the interior, and improve a bit the exterior.

it's a pleasure to build, and worth the wait (like you, I had to wait a lot).

My 10179 is nearly totally finished, I just need to buy the satellite dish (actually I have one withou any marks), and then...i'll mod the interior, and improve a bit the exterior.

it's a pleasure to build, and worth the wait (like you, I had to wait a lot).

If it is of any help, I bought my satellite dish at PolBricks (I'm not affiliated in any way). "Used" condition, 40$ ==> good as new, no scratches, totally satisfied.

I was skeptical at first (will I receive my items etc), but in the end I've had a great bricklinking experience with sellers from eastern Europe (and every other country I've had to deal with), prices are attractive and the quality is really good. Feedback reviews help a lot.

Edited by sp1tf1r3

I have a big tub next to my building desk that contains about half of the parts for my bricklinked falcon

I placed the final orders this evening so hopefully in a few weeks when the last orders arrive i will start building.

I gotta say its a pretty big task managing multiple wanted lists and gathering all of the parts from stores all over the world in order to keep the cost reasonable

but overall its been a very satisfying experience and im sure i will be stoked once the last brick is placed on the finished model

Even my wife is keen to see the end result and has been encouraging me!! :classic:

If it is of any help, I bought my satellite dish at PolBricks (I'm not affiliated in any way). "Used" condition, 40$ ==> good as new, no scratches, totally satisfied.

I was skeptical at first (will I receive my items etc), but in the end I've had a great bricklinking experience with sellers from eastern Europe (and every other country I've had to deal with), prices are attractive and the quality is really good. Feedback reviews help a lot.

Thanks a LOT:)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Update: I called Lego to check on the progress of my order. Unfortunately, two of the part types are still out of stock but they've very kindly offered to send me everything else straight away, and they'll then ship the remaining parts seperately & free of charge!! I love Lego's Customer Service, they're so nice to deal with!

I also took pity on Chewie last week and ordered a Han to keep him company. The reunion was quite touching really :wink: :

img_4640.jpg

Han: "Chewie......!"

Chewie: "Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhgghhhhgghghghghhhhhhh!"

Cheers, Robin :classic:

Well, after a little wait the main batch of parts from Lego arrived today! I've still got a few missing, which are en-route, but I think I'll 'borrow' them from my other Falcon if they're needed before they arrive....building to commence very shortly :wink:

And what does £113 worth of Lego look like, well this:

img_4649.jpg

very good!!!!!

very well and great price?

I'm also building the falcon pieces BrickLink ...

I miss only 300 pieces ... the more expensive ones!

where did you get these for 113 pounds?

very good!!!!!

very well and great price?

I'm also building the falcon pieces BrickLink ...

I miss only 300 pieces ... the more expensive ones!

where did you get these for 113 pounds?

The main Lego website now offers a service to buy parts (rather than replacements!), link to the UK version: (click here). In the second screen select the 'I want to buy a piece' The prices are a lot cheaper for several of the rarer/expensive parts & they only charged me £2 postage!

Update: A couple hours building last night and it's taking shape nicely:

Page 48 & the frame's finished:

img_4656.jpg

It's incredibly strong & nice to build, I just love the mix of colours. The red & yellow technic parts make such a nice change from the default SW grey! :wub: :wub:

Page 61 and the bottom section is finished:

img_4659.jpg

This is where the expensive red plate goes (I paid a lot for mine from Bricklink, but it was cheaper direct from Lego, doh!).

Han overseeing the construction:

img_4660.jpg

More updates to follow. Cheers, Robin :classic:

It seems like this is obvious enough that someone must have tried it, but: I keep hearing people say how expensive the Dark Red 6x14 plate is, looks like around $15-$20 USD on BL. Is there any reason (Structural? Aesthetic?) that that can't be substituted with a 2x6 plate, a 4x6 plate, and a 6x8 plate? The two smaller ones in Dark Red are less than a dollar each while the 6x8 is just a little more than a dollar. (Assuming you don't want to have every single piece be an exact match, of course.)

Interesting. I got mine a few weeks ago for about 5$. If you're out to buy one, better wait for the market to "relax" a bit ... (but of course there's only one other set that has this piece, the 10215)

Regarding the substitution: clearly it could be replaced by 2 or 3 other plates, as one can see on pages 50-51 of the instructions. I think the color is just there to indicate that it goes to the starboard (right) side of the ship. But it is also visible from below.

Any idea if the "real" ship has such a colorful belly ?

Update:

A bit more progress yesterday as follows:

Page 75, frame completed and legs added:

img_4661.jpg

Sorry I lied, it's yet another photo of the legs, but now they're finally finished!! I don't know if it's intentional but the legs act like suspension as they have a small amount of flex in them, so the model can absorb small impacts without any problems. The pairs of rear legs are really close together, it looks a bit odd, or maybe it's just me :laugh:

Page 107, engine section and one of the mandibles completed:

img_4792.jpg

it starts to get really big at this point. The design is genius, it's a work of art... all that Technic goodness

Han and Chewie looking happy, all they need now is the loading ramp!

img_4794.jpg

Doc: The dark red panel doesn't do much and could easily be replaced with smaller parts but it might need a little re-enforcement. It isn't that obvious and, unless you want to spend hours looking at the underside of it, it's probably easier to use a standard grey one.

Doc: The dark red panel doesn't do much and could easily be replaced with smaller parts but it might need a little re-enforcement. It isn't that obvious and, unless you want to spend hours looking at the underside of it, it's probably easier to use a standard grey one.

Okay, thanks. I do see the three Dark Red plates would still cost more than the one Light Bley plate on BL.

I just looked it up and paid my dark red plate about €5 too... But you don't see that much of it that it would be a problem substituting it with a bley or even DBG plate, imo you barely look at the bottom, but I suppose that all depends on how you intend to display it.

Update: More progress today, it's starting to look a lot more finished. I've now added both mandibles which makes it rather difficult to photograph as it's getting a bit too big!

Page 160:

img_4799.jpg

Most of the underside completed including the exposed sections of the mandible 'inlets' and the landing ramp. Lobot has stepped in to oversee the whole project as it's now way over schedule. There are lots of small details which show the dedication that the designer (Jens Kronvold Frederiksen) had. In particular, the hydraulic rams are just beautiful, but perhaps I'm biased from my OT leaning as so many classic scenes seem to have occurred around them! :wub: :wub:

Han & Chewis arriving at Cloud City (well almost):

img_4801.jpg

Now if only I had the talent to build the Bespin landing platform....if only it wasn't round :wink:

Page 177:

img_4809.jpg

All of the underside is now completed, and the turrets are almost finished (just missing the little left triangle parts which are en-route from Lego). It's amazing how many parts go into the two sections, they're almost identical but not quite, and they slot together perfectly.

Han oversees the installation of the top turret:

img_4805.jpg

'This one goes here, that one goes there!'

Lobot - love your build photos :thumbup:

I'm waiting on 3 small orders to arrive then i can start!!

My big plastic tub is so full of parts i can barely clip the lid on.......

the dining table has already been reseved for building :laugh:

I have noticed this topic today for the first time.

Reall interesting to follow the progress. Thank you for showing the photos.

Would you care to tell how much you paid (after each step) all in all?

I sincerely doubt you will end up somewhere near 550 GBP. :look:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I have noticed this topic today for the first time.

Reall interesting to follow the progress. Thank you for showing the photos.

Would you care to tell how much you paid (after each step) all in all?

I sincerely doubt you will end up somewhere near 550 GBP. :look:

It got a bit complicated towards the end as Lego actually gave me approx £9 of parts free of charge, as they had been out of stock for a long time, but if my maths is any good the total cost for the Falcon is £587.17 (including postage). I also added Chewie & Han to a couple of larger orders and the cost of them excluding postage was £6.66, so if you include them it's £593.83.

Update: I'm getting there, I finished the top plates for the mandibles, added the docking rings, cockpit and the front sloping part. I've just heard from Lego & they shipped the last missing parts a couple of days ago so they should be here soon....if they don't arrive by the weekend I'll probably 'borrow' them from my other set just so that I can finish it.

Page 226 and It's looking more like the Falcon:

img_4810.jpg

Lobot peers down into one of the exposed mandible sections, I love the way they're recessed into the frame. The front sloping sections is missing a couple of hoses.

The docking rings finally installed:

img_4811.jpg

I do realise that I've probably gone on about these a bit too much, but they're just sooo beautiful :wub: :wub: :wub: I'm not too sure how they would work in reality all those l-shaped taps and bars would make it very difficult to align it all.... in fact I don't recall seeing the Falcon docked via them in any of the films! :wink:

Great journey this one must have been! :yoda:

Looks awesome man, as it is intended to look! Hope to have time (and some money) to do it my self in the future...

Hello everyone - my first post.

Great post BTW. And great to see the progress and finished ship.

Didn't seem to take long and it does look great once finished.

I've followed this with great interest after initially reading Rob's post . Plus a few others on the web.

There was going to be no way I was spending £1000+ on the set, so my son and I (he's 12) decided to Bricklink it.

I'll try and get a thread up and running with the story and details.

There is a Star Wars Lego story to go with the build, as to justify this being a Bricklink 10179 vs the set. We never set out to build THE Falcon.

We decided to go for a YT-1300 Freighter :classic: There must have been more than one!

Unique bits and a unique name.

All of our parts are ordered except for 1 which Lego was out of stock on. That will be in next week and when we get the bits we can start.

Pictures of the 'story' have started so I'll try and get them posted for abit of Fun.