Lobot

BrickLinking (another) 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon

If you desperately want a Millenium Falcon, go for the system scale one. I am really satisfied with it and the price is decent.

It also seems to be relatively easy to modify if you really cant stand the gaps between the pizza slices of its hull design.

Then create something that is bigger than system scale? The ucs is too big anyway. Im currently moc-ing one which is mostly compose of 2 system scale MF. I will post it here in the forum once im done.

would it be wise to Bricklink MF now if potentially there is a new UCS MF for next year? Not sure how true is that though....

Then create something that is bigger than system scale? The ucs is too big anyway. Im currently moc-ing one which is mostly compose of 2 system scale MF. I will post it here in the forum once im done.

I agree with it being too large, at least for my personal taste. I mean I love big ships and also minifig scale versions, but in case of the UCS MF its just too much :laugh:

Is it known what exact scale it is btw? Always seemed to be a bit bigger than minifig scale to me...

Aside from being an extremely expensive trip to get one of those nowadays, I also heard a lot of times that the build itself is not really that much fun to do nor could it be considered "good" (for example: Big gaps and dropping mandibles over time, bad cockpit design and no interior what so ever). Sure it will probably forever remain the ultimate hardcore collector set, and that label will always intrigue people. But if you just want a nice and goodlooking MF, I dont know if its the best way to go anymore. Getting the System-Scale version, MOCing one or waiting for a new UCS MF seem to be way better options to me.

Edited by BigEl

would it be wise to Bricklink MF now if potentially there is a new UCS MF for next year? Not sure how true is that though....

I have the same issue but decided to just go for it. Even if there is a new one I think this version still has lot of useful 'basic' bricks that can be used for something else. Or we can try to transform it to a new version.

I agree with it being too large, at least for my personal taste. I mean I love big ships and also minifig scale versions, but in case of the UCS MF its just too much :laugh:

Is it known what exact scale it is btw? Always seemed to be a bit bigger than minifig scale to me...

Aside from being an extremely expensive trip to get one of those nowadays, I also heard a lot of times that the build itself is not really that much fun to do nor could it be considered "good" (for example: Big gaps and dropping mandibles over time, bad cockpit design and no interior what so ever). Sure it will probably forever remain the ultimate hardcore collector set, and that label will always intrigue people. But if you just want a nice and goodlooking MF, I dont know if its the best way to go anymore. Getting the System-Scale version, MOCing one or waiting for a new UCS MF seem to be way better options to me.

The UCS is around 84cm long, whiile it should be "only" around 72cm.

Bricklinking the UCS MF was one of the most rewarding lego experiences I've ever had. Yes, it was expensive even though I cut many corners (I refused to pay $200 for the engine parts) and it was still worth every penny. Call it what you want but until you've actually assembled a UCS MF then you really don't know what you are missing.

Well Its been said from a trusted rumour source who's been reliable in the past... and it's been seen in person along with the Snowspeeder.

I personally would wait until a few pictures start skimming the internet, and then decide which version you prefer.

In regards to a new UCS Falcon in 2016, I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Either way, this time around I'll make sure that I'll buy at least two, after missing the release of the 10179.

I have to agree with Daphatty, bricklinking the UCS Falcon was quite an experience. After month of waiting and brick hunting, it felt very rewarding once I had the Millennium Falcon completed.

It felt like an accomplishment, a feeling that I don't get when I walk into a store and buy a set and walk out.

But that said, bricklinking the 10179 can be a quite an expensive endeavor and it's up to everyone's own opinion to decide if it's worth it or not.

The 10179 has its flaws, just like any other set. But the beauty about Lego is that you're not stuck with these flaws, you have the ability to improve the set.

In my case, not a single day have I regretted bricklinking the 10179, in my eyes it's an impressive set.

You'll have people giving you pros and cons, but at the end you'll be the one spending the money on it. You have to make up your own mind.

Hey,

I just finished ordering all the Legos need to Bricklink the UCS Falcon. I am curious, the official piece count is 5197. Where does that number come from? I am in the 5300 range.

This has definitely gotten harder to do. took 20 different orders and $1050 dollars. Did the normal substitutions recommended here.

Yep.
Looking forward to the next month or so, bricklinking the parts to transform a 10179 into the new 75192. 

I'm only doing the exterior, which shouldn't cost heaps due to it mostly being small greebling parts.  Also assuming I'll be able to order the new cockpit and a few other rare pieces from Lego soon.