Lobot

BrickLinking (another) 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon

[The round one was knocked off anyways!

Which makes me wonder why they haven't KOd the grey rigging...

Edited by Wonderpants

Why fork over $$$$ for the printed dish? The round one was knocked off anyways! I think I'll be MODding mine to make a rectangular dish. :laugh:

(ahem) You might be interested in this the LXF I posted over here then...

I've been rumbling on with my BL'd build, currently up to page 108 of the instructions.

The great news is that due to the 'positive influence' of one of SWMBO's friends, who happens to be a massive Star Wars fan, I have secured a permanent wall-mounting home for the Falcon once finished - and yes this is a downstairs, 'public' room (I know, amazing right?).

The current snag, and a consequence of a less than perfect inventory process for my 5100+ BL'd parts, is that I've run into two situations where 'build critical' parts have been missing, and I've had to pause an await an order.

Nothing rare or expensive (just some 4x3 plates with holes for the landing gear, and 6 2x6 slopes for the entrance gangway door), enough to pause construction.

Typically I also managed to order from a BL seller who thinks 10 days to dispatch an order is perfectly fine..... Dammit!

Anyone have seen my bricklinked MF? I made a few mods myself and applied a LED strip on the engine section. Take a look and tell me..

Anyone have seen my bricklinked MF? I made a few mods myself and applied a LED strip on the engine section. Take a look and tell me..

That is cool. I like the led on the engine. What did you use to do it?

Here's my WIP Falcon. Got it off Bricklink for £650 delivered. Missing the rigging, radar dish, and some parts have been substituted, but I've got a replica sticker/radar dish on the way, and will probably mod the engines as per Scottishdave's version.

56f0592293de5f247209206d10c26bec_zpsvhjjrzga.jpg

Hi Wonderpants, it looks like you got a good deal there, congratulations! I doubt that you'd have been able to Bricklink one for any less at the moment, especially as it has the Dark Red 6 x 14 plate plus the Yellow 5 x 5 Technic Right Angles. I'll look forward to seeing your final version :classic:

Placed an order last night that will get me under 40 lots to go. I also have some plates inbound that I needed to get started. I should be able to build the entire frame as soon as they arrive.

<very excited

Out of the lots left, the one I'm looking forward to the least is the stupid levers. :/

Edited by rollermonkey

Hi Wonderpants, it looks like you got a good deal there, congratulations! I doubt that you'd have been able to Bricklink one for any less at the moment, especially as it has the Dark Red 6 x 14 plate plus the Yellow 5 x 5 Technic Right Angles. I'll look forward to seeing your final version :classic:

Yeah, would probably cost £600 odd to BL one without the radar and rigging, and it also saves time wading through BL and the Lego PAB page for all the parts. :)

Still wish I'd hung on to my first one which had the rigging and dish, for a similar price. Ah well..

Out of the lots left, the one I'm looking forward to the least is the stupid levers. :/

Of all the parts that TLG has ceased production on the gray on gray levers are the ones that puzzle me the most... So many times I see new sets and think how much better they would look with those gray levers. I get the mast, the dish, and the red plate being out of production... Anyway I have given up on BL'ing this set so I have tons of respect for those that do it.

Imho the 10179 is such a rewarding model to Bricklink, any Star Wars fan should think about taking it on... Its a lot of hard work and lots of cash but it just is amazing to build this gigantig heap of junk and see it growing and taking form.

For me its THE ONE iconic ship of the OT and one of the most impressive LEGO sets ever.

Don't fret on expensive parts... Try to find a workaround or an alternative... There are so many tips on that here on the board.

Now go and start on your own 10179 right now!

I couldn't agree more, but as I've previously said anyone attempting this should do a fair amount of planning beforehand. It takes a lot of time, money and energy but the final result is more than worth it. And, if you need to sell it on afterwards, there seems to be a healthy market for them :classic:

Hopefully TLG will re-make it at some point, even at £600+ each I'm sure that they could easily sell a limited edition run of 10-20,000 sets.

Don't fret on expensive parts... Try to find a workaround or an alternative... There are so many tips on that here on the board.

So... what's the workaround for the all-grey levers? Use the two-tone black and grey ones?

As I used a lot of parts in old gray I also got most of the levers in old gray, which could be bought very easily and pretty cheap (with different kind of bases)... I also got some levers in LBG and switched some of the bases of the gray levers to LBG, to get some variation in the colors. It didn't cost an arm and a leg but looks imho way better, than the black levers.

I did use a "normal" red 6x14 plate for the bottom of the falcon, I used ScottishDave's engine setup and did use his brickbuild radar dish... I used odd colors for the inside of the falcon and so on... If you do a little research you'll find lots of moneysaving potential to this set, which doesnt affect the overall look at all or at least not very much.

Haven't decided about levers yet myself. Debating modding the rear flaps so will decide then, probably next time I can afford to place some orders. So far I reckon I'm in the region of £320 including postage, stock parts and pick a brick. Would estimate have safely less than 1k parts to go and as far as I can tell have all the large plates. Don't know how many lots that translates to, need to double check parts and date my wanted list when the last order arrives. Being optimistic I'd like to keep it below £400.

To save money I'm using a lot of alternative parts - lot's of greys and working some dark blue into it as well. The inside is grey, black, red, yellow, and blue. I'm hoping it will look ok, if not I figure it's lego - I can always swap parts out at a later date.

Hopefully TLG will re-make it at some point, even at £600+ each I'm sure that they could easily sell a limited edition run of 10-20,000 sets.

That would be cool, but Lego don’t do straight reissues. I suppose a revised Falcon is possible, especially with TFA fast approaching, but I’ve seen rumours/speculation that Lego did actually consider doing a reissue/revised Falcon but cancelled it due to the price, and that 10240 Red 5 hasn’t done that well, despite being probably the 2nd most iconic SW ship. Both of which would seem to count against the possibility.

And has anyone tried using brick #6020 (in light grey, natch) as a substitute for the rigging? I’ve seen it mentioned a couple of times, but can’t find any pics for reference.

And has anyone tried using brick #6020 (in light grey, natch) as a substitute for the rigging? I’ve seen it mentioned a couple of times, but can’t find any pics for reference.

Here's thire5's version of the Falcon which uses the 6020s; there's several other photos of his Hoth MOC in his flickr account (here) if you're interested.

14336998712_2a73116e2a_z.jpg

I hope that helps! Cheers, Robin :classic:

Thanks!

And that Hoth display MOC is a hell of a thing! Are those At-ATs based on the cavegod one?

You're welcome :classic:

I don't think that they're based on cavegod's; if you look at the photos in this thread it seems to be quite a bit larger, although they can be deceptive!

What is the going price for BL'ing this set? I have seen it on eBay for as low as $1300 (minus the HTF parts).

I did my last one for £625 (or ~$1000) so it can still be done for a reasonable price. I substituted most of the usual parts, but ordered almost everything new so it could probably be done for a bit less....and I think that the BL stores are generally cheaper in the US than the UK/Europe as well :classic:

Mine was $1090 AU 1 year ago with some un-noticeable part substitutions. ($920 parts, $170 postage across 22 orders).