Lobot

BrickLinking (another) 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been busy imaging planets recently! :blush:

Lobot - I noticed you opted to purchase the black engine lattice. Did you keep the black color or did you paint them gray? I'm curious to see how they look on the final product.

This is the only photo I took of it before I disassembled it. It's not very pretty to look at in black, but it doesn't look awful (and I didn't want to try painting it as most of the attempts I've seen at doing so failed!). The main problem is that the rigging parts are very flexible, and are under quite a bit of stress when attached to the ship...

img_6919.jpg

If you need another project, I recommend you retry the UCS Star Destroyer. I'm doing it and it's turning out really good. :classic: I have a thread about my progress.

Caution: There is a lot of spray painting involved

I tried to build one a couple of years ago, but gave up after I'd sourced about 50% of the parts. I was trying to order everything new though, which in hindsight I shouldn't have limited myself to. I keep hoping that we'll get a new version of it soon, otherwise I might try to buy a complete one at some point.

Hi Lobot,

would you mind sharing with us what you paid for the BL MF? I am still tempting to start this project bevause i think its in the 700-900€ league (500-700£) so, more expensive a potential new UDC MF (EP VII or VIII) would be. But on the other hand is no deal where you have to put ALL the money at the same time on the table to get it. I dont mind waiting a year to have all parts together and spending 50-70€/ month averagly for the parts.

Dino

It cost me £624.89, including postage, but I didn't bother with any minifigures. Virtually everything was sourced new, so you could probably do it for a bit less if you shop-around and use alternatives for some of the rarer parts. My 'DIY' printed dish was well worth the extra cost though, and I was really pleased with the final result. As I've said before, it's an amazing challenge, but I'd strongly recommend that you spend a lot of time planning before you order anything.

Cheers, Robin :classic:

Hi

Thanks Lobot and bmerigan.

Thats quiet the imput i needed to get this thing started. I dont mind paying 100€ gor that and spending a year of planing and purchasing.

I like the idea of swapping parts a lot, especially in the inner structure.

Whats the easiest way to track all purchased and still to purchased parts? Blricklink wanted list? How do i import there the MF part list?

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

Hi Dino

i) Log into Bricklink

ii) Click on 'Wanted' tab at the top of the screen

iii) Select the 'Part out a Set' hyperlink

iv) Enter the set number and follow the steps on screen (I don't recommend that you select the 'Notify Me By E-Mail' option though!!)

You can either remove parts you don't need during the initial stages or at any point later on, it's really straightforward. However, I managed my initial orders via Excel and only created a wanted list when I'd got down to around 1,500 parts. The one disadvantage of relying on a Wanted list is that it will frequently highlight lots of stores with huge inventories, but they won't necessarily be the cheapest! It will pay to shop around... :wink:

Thanks to Lobot I'm 3119 pieces into this build! 99% of it has been sourced from my "bulk". I'm getting pretty damn excited about this!!! I think mine is going to look a bit different than the others as I'm looking for all of the yellow/slighty damanaged pieces on purpose. The Falcon looked pretty ratty in the movies and mine is going to reflect that.

Thanks again Lobot for the extra push on getting this dream started!

I've started building my falcon 10179 and the 7 feet are on but it's still a touch wobbly when standing.. Is this meant to be like this ? If

Somebody could help that would be awesome

This is the only photo I took of it before I disassembled it. It's not very pretty to look at in black, but it doesn't look awful (and I didn't want to try painting it as most of the attempts I've seen at doing so failed!). The main problem is that the rigging parts are very flexible, and are under quite a bit of stress when attached to the ship...

Thanks for the photo. I agree it doesn't look bad in black and I may end up keeping my model this way.

I have to admit, I am shocked that you would have disassembled this so soon. Do you have a lack of display space?

It cost me £624.89, including postage, but I didn't bother with any minifigures. Virtually everything was sourced new, so you could probably do it for a bit less if you shop-around and use alternatives for some of the rarer parts. My 'DIY' printed dish was well worth the extra cost though, and I was really pleased with the final result. As I've said before, it's an amazing challenge, but I'd strongly recommend that you spend a lot of time planning before you order anything.

Cheers, Robin :classic:

That is fantastic! My current costs are about £100 higher (factoring in currency conversion from USD). I used Brickficiency to assist with the ordering but I wasn't as OCD about costs as I could have been. I'd say I overpaid on 10-20% of the parts. I also screwed up one particular order from Lego that cost me an additional $25 USD. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late to modify the order. Still, the experience has been great so far.

I suppose you meant this link: http://www.buildingo...ickficiency.php

Right now the link redirects to the 7th page of this topic. :tongue:

Yeah you were right. Fixed. IE11 doesn't work properly when writing posts so I was changing browser and pasted the wrong link in the flurry of activity.

Anyways, Brickficiency is awesome!

Thanks to Lobot I'm 3119 pieces into this build! 99% of it has been sourced from my "bulk". I'm getting pretty damn excited about this!!! I think mine is going to look a bit different than the others as I'm looking for all of the yellow/slighty damanaged pieces on purpose. The Falcon looked pretty ratty in the movies and mine is going to reflect that.

Thanks again Lobot for the extra push on getting this dream started!

You're welcome, it's a massive model and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it! :classic:

I've started building my falcon 10179 and the 7 feet are on but it's still a touch wobbly when standing.. Is this meant to be like this ? If

Somebody could help that would be awesome

That's perfectly normal and they'll help to act as 'suspension' to the finished model, so it should survive any minor asteroid impacts! :wink:

Thanks for the photo. I agree it doesn't look bad in black and I may end up keeping my model this way.

I have to admit, I am shocked that you would have disassembled this so soon. Do you have a lack of display space?

I only did it as a project to keep me occupied during the winter, and I'd promised myself that I'd sell it as soon as I'd finished it. In reality I've already got a sizable collection, so by selling it on it helped to lessen the guilt a little....and helps to keep Mrs Lobot happy!

I finished my Bricklinked Falcon today. Total costa were about €815. Amazing model. Love it! I did some concessions (black/grey levers, 6L bars, black 5x5 Technic pieces, unprinted radar dish, blue 3L Technic pins), but all new parts...

Hi Mereel, I haven't seen one but you might find the post below of interest. Most of the technic frame is hidden when the model is completed, apart from a few areas in the front mandibles, so you should be able to use alternate colours for it if you want :classic:

*snip*

Non-visible

40344 'Black Technic, Brick 4 x 6 Open Center' (LBG) - frame

40345 'Black Technic, Brick 6 x 8 Open Center' (LBG) - frame

6558 'Black Technic, Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise' (Blue) -frame (and dish)

30364 'Dark Bluish Gray Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger Vertical End' (LBG) - part cannon turrets & engines

30365 'Light Bluish Gray Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Locking with 2 Fingers Vertical End' (DBG) - part cannon turrets & engines

3048c 'Reddish Brown Slope 45 2 x 1 Triple - with Inside Bar' (3048) - cockpit

3245b 'White Brick 1 x 2 x 2 with Inside Axle Holder' (3245c) - frame

3307 'White Brick, Arch 1 x 6 x 2 - Thick Top with Reinforced Underside' (12939) - frame

32555 'Yellow Technic, Brick 5 x 5 Right Angle (1 x 4 - 1 x 4)' (Black) - frame

Visible – Minor/no visual impact

6538b 'Dark Bluish Gray Technic, Axle Connector (Ridged with x Hole x Orientation)' (LBG) - feet

4589 'Dark Bluish Gray Cone 1 x 1 without Top Groove' (4589b) - exterior

6019 'Dark Bluish Gray Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal (thick open U clip)' (61252) - exterior

3456 'Dark Red Plate 6 x 14' (DBG or whatever you prefer!) - underside

42445 'Bar 1 x 12 with 1 x 2 Plate End and 1 x 1 Round Plate End' (99784) - exterior

75535 'Light Bluish Gray Technic, Pin Connector Round 2L (Pin Joiner Round)' (62462) - feet & frame

4095 'Light Bluish Gray Bar 6.6L with Stop Ring (Patio Umbrella Stand) (63965 - 6L) - exterior

3308 'Light Bluish Gray Brick, Arch 1 x 8 x 2' (16577) - frame

50990pb03 'Light Bluish Gray Dish 10 x 10 Inverted (Radar) with Radiating Spokes Pattern on Concave Side' (blank LBG) - exterior

Visible – Major visual impact

4592c05 'Light Bluish Gray Lever Small Base with Light Bluish Gray Lever' (black lever) - exterior

47996 'Light Bluish Gray Boat Mast Rigging Long 28 x 4' (Black) - exterior

In regards to buying 'lots' of LEGO, IF you have the time it can be extremely rewarding if you have some idea of what you're after and what parts are worth (and worth to you)..

My recent score included a NISB Droid Escape 7106 (the original one), over twenty SW minifigs - many from the Death Star! Plus a few thousand bricks, mostly SW.. I paid $50. gave most everything a quick rinse, then sold a few hundred bricks (city Lego stuff) for $20. Net output $30 for a lot of useful pieces, a bunch of minifigs, and a sealed 'vintage' set :)

There are always deals to be found!

Lobot, do you think it's best to look on bricklink or the Lego parts page first for 10179 pieces?

I'm about to make my second go at BLing this bad boy, since I'm still kicking myself for selling the first one on, as I did it when parts like the grey rigging and radar dish were still very cheap, and ended up selling it for what it cost me, since I didn't really have space for it and needed the money back). Still, I should be able to save a bit by ordering a replica dish/sticker that are now available, and doing one of the engine mods to avoid using the grey rigging.

Hi Wonderpants, personally I'd check the 'Pick a Brick' & 'Bricks & Pieces' websites first to see what's available and to set a 'benchmark' cost (the prices seem to differ occasionally between the sites, so it's well worth checking them both :wink:). You can then order everything you can via Bricklink (obviously taking into account shipping costs!) and then do a final 'tidying' order via the LEGO websites for any parts that are cheaper, or just the odd straggler that you couldn't find on Bricklink. Good luck with it! :classic:

Looking good! Congratulations on finishing it... I like your changes to the set... Simple but very effective. Good job!

Hi Mereel, congratulations on completing it, I like the modifications that you've made :classic:

I'm pretty mad right now... An 60-Euro order towards making my 10179 has gone missing in shipment, last spotted at the Flushing, NY / JFK sort facility.

The LBG 1x12 and 1x16 bricks, L and R 6X12 wedge plates and 6x8 plates, the hoses and several more. :angry:

Hi all. I've decided to take the plunge and have a go at bricklinking the UCS Falcon.

I've seen others have spent in excess of £500/E600 on this.... call be naive but I'm aiming to spend a lot less. I have approx. £50/month spare so am selling off some unwanted mini figs and rare models from a certain wargame to help fund, and hopefully reduce costs by using alternative colours/2nd hand pieces. I will probably go for a generic YT200 (is that the right name?) and use the opportunity to add perhaps a splash more colour.

Having trouble adding links, sorry for no direct links to these:

Mods:

H_Solo - love his radar, and guessing far cheaper than the printed. another alternative would be to make a square one instead like the new movie.

Engine mod - on H_Solo's as well as others - will go for that - already have the blue round plates from filling gaps in a pick a brick wall tub. Thought they'd make good water, not a space engine though!

Getting started....

I've raided my bits box and have approx. 1000 bits already from various sources, price estimate no more than £100 paid, possibly quite a bit less. Photo to come. Also placed a couple of small bricklink orders to get started.

Wish me luck! Tips/comments/useful links welcome!

Hi all. I've decided to take the plunge and have a go at bricklinking the UCS Falcon.

I've seen others have spent in excess of £500/E600 on this.... call be naive but I'm aiming to spend a lot less. I have approx. £50/month spare so am selling off some unwanted mini figs and rare models from a certain wargame to help fund, and hopefully reduce costs by using alternative colours/2nd hand pieces. I will probably go for a generic YT200 (is that the right name?) and use the opportunity to add perhaps a splash more colour.

Having trouble adding links, sorry for no direct links to these:

Mods:

H_Solo - love his radar, and guessing far cheaper than the printed. another alternative would be to make a square one instead like the new movie.

Engine mod - on H_Solo's as well as others - will go for that - already have the blue round plates from filling gaps in a pick a brick wall tub. Thought they'd make good water, not a space engine though!

Getting started....

I've raided my bits box and have approx. 1000 bits already from various sources, price estimate no more than £100 paid, possibly quite a bit less. Photo to come. Also placed a couple of small bricklink orders to get started.

Wish me luck! Tips/comments/useful links welcome!

Hi Covenant! That's great to hear you are embarking on the bricklink journey. Certainly not for the faint of heart! I've merged your topic with the main UCS Falcon Bricklinking thread.

Happy to have finished this project already, as it seems more and more people are attempting this; likely making it even more expen$ive than it already is :)

Good luck to all and don't forget to post pics!

Also, big thanks to lobot, schneeds, scottishdave, dagsbricks etc, for all the wonderful and incredibly useful information they posted in earlier threads which is essential reading before embarking on this. Brickstock is also a must.

Setting a target price range is practical, as it likely will be exceeded, however the key is to not go over by too much ;)

I think roughly $800 if starting from scratch is reasonable, however if you wanna get fancy adding og minifigs, light bley/gray levers, etc, cost will quickly go up...I ended up doing this as I felt my model needed it, however be careful w/ minifig sellers as I got hosed 2X on a supposed "original" obi wan minifig...

As l have newer versions of all the minifigs, I see no need to waste money of the old style figs.

Covenant has a pretty smart idea there, though: Why fork over $$$$ for the printed dish? The round one was knocked off anyways! I think I'll be MODding mine to make a rectangular dish. :laugh: