Bobsy

Bobsy's Clone Wars reviews

Oh, shameless plug time.

On my blog I've started writing reviews of The Clone Wars series. I'm not exactly a massive fan of the show, especially not in its first season, but I find myself drawn to critiquing it, for good and for bad. There's certainly a lot of both to be found.

I am on the other hand a fan of Chuck Sonnenburg's SFDebris reviews, which were a big influence on me starting this project. Unlike many other internet 'review' shows Chuck doesn't shy away from praising something just so he can make a cheap mocking joke against it. Good episodes get praise, bad episodes get panned, jokes are made about everything.

So yeah, I decided to take every episode of The Clone Wars in turn, and write a review. As of today I'm nine episodes in (updates are normally on Sundays and Wednesdays), and am definately going to push through to the end of the first season, probably beyond. Below are direct links to each of the episode reviews.

1. Ambush
  2. Rising Malevolence
  3. Shadow of Malevolence
  4. Destroy Malevolence
  5. Rookies
  6. Downfall of a Droid
  7. Duel of the Droids
  8. Bombad Jedi
  9. Cloak of Darkness

And now, just like that nice lady in the supermarket with the bite-size pretzel bits, I bring you the greatest thing known to man! FREE SAMPLES! Omnomnomnnom.

04.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

02.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

01.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

05.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

03.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

06.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

02.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

01.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

02.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

09.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I'm reading up to the second one now, I love the cracks about Plo :laugh:.

Incidentally have you watched http://sfdebris.com/.../clonewars1.asp and http://sfdebris.com/.../clonewars2.asp?

I was watching them earlier today, in preparation for watching the whole Ventress / Savage / Maul arc.

I have, yes. In fact, in lieu of there being a new video this weekend, I rewatched those two instead. Other than the song (honestly, I love Chuck's work, but the singing is always bad news) I'd say that it's one of his stronger reviews. He's slightly meaner than me about Ambush though. :classic:

I have, yes. In fact, in lieu of there being a new video this weekend, I rewatched those two instead. Other than the song (honestly, I love Chuck's work, but the singing is always bad news) I'd say that it's one of his stronger reviews. He's slightly meaner than me about Ambush though. :classic:

The singing may be, but the lyrics are always fun. The Major General song from the UNIT reviews, and the montage from Generations stand out :grin_wub:.

Why did you start with Ambush instead of the Film or Cat and Mouse (the chronological first one)?

The singing may be, but the lyrics are always fun. The Major General song from the UNIT reviews, and the montage from Generations stand out :grin_wub:.

Why did you start with Ambush instead of the Film or Cat and Mouse (the chronological first one)?

I would've started with the film, but I've only got it on my iPad at the moment, which makes doing screengrabs more difficult. Also, it's a lot longer, which makes the review process take longer still. I might go back to it after season 1 is done. It might be fun to split it back into its original three episodes to see if they still stand up.

As for chronology, it's a bit difficult for a couple of reasons. First, it would take a while trying to consolidate them into a proper chronology, and leaves room for error if new episodes are made that fit in between the existing ones (I can only go up to season 4 at the moment anyway). Second, I think for the most part that the episodes tell their story better in the order they are in, especially for the development of characters and the universe. For example, The Hidden Enemy (clone traitor) is very early chronologically, but the idea that a clone can betray their brothers wouldn't hold nearly as much weight if it's only the second episode you've watched. That said, it's still weird watching Clone Cadets and Arc Troopers from the beginning of season 3 without Rookies to go in between.

It might be fun to split it back into its original three episodes to see if they still stand up.

That was my reasoning for suggesting it in chronological order, Cat and Mouse, Hidden Enemy, and the first 'episode' (A New Padawan) of the film don't make much sense without each other, Though they shouldn't have edited them into a film in the first place, it coloured a lot of people against TCW.

Also the producers have said they will not be going back further than the costume change in Series 4, due to the animation and rendering differences between 2008 and 2012.

That was my reasoning for suggesting it in chronological order, Cat and Mouse, Hidden Enemy, and the first 'episode' (A New Padawan) of the film don't make much sense without each other,

Disagree with this actually. One of the strengths of the way TCW does arcs is that they're usually not dependent on each other for story, instead only really linked by the circumstance or setting. I don't need to know why Christophsis matters to enjoy Hidden Enemy, and I don't need to have seen all the things happening in Cat and Mouse to 'get' the opening of the movie. In fact, one of the (few) things in the movie's favour is that it opens in medias res, right in the middle of a random conflict we've never really seen before. It subtly suggests the scale of the conflict being huge, that an average day in the life is being knee-deep in battledroid bits on a world you barely remember the name of.

I'd actually argue that putting that opening into context by watching the chronological 'first' episodes would make it weaker.

This was a really funny read. Can't say I've been really watching the show since Season Three, but I still sometimes read reviews to see what's going on. I hope to see more. :thumbup:

I like your reviews, disagree with some of your opinions.

But hey that's what you think.And I like your reviews so,

welcome a new reader! :classic:

BTW, "Ambush" makes more sense after you've seen "Supply Lines"

Edited by korpen4444

Review of Lair of Grievous is finally up, delayed from Wednesday due to Posterous going on the fritz and work piling up during the week. Anyway, it's here now.

BTW, "Ambush" makes more sense after you've seen "Supply Lines"

Okay, how does it make more sense? Ambush's plot is based around the contest between a lone jedi and an army of battledroids in order to impress a neutral third party. The setting is immaterial for the story to work - Yoda could be on Christophsis, Felucia, Ryloth, Kashyyyk or anywhere for all the difference it makes. The setting does not have any real bearing on the story. While Supply Lines has chronological ties to both Ambush and the Ryloth trilogy, its story doesn't really provide much insight to either. And frankly, there isn't really any sense to be made out of Ambush - it remains a squalid little story with little to recommend it apart from the one stand-out scene in the cave.

Okay, how does it make more sense? Ambush's plot is based around the contest between a lone jedi and an army of battledroids in order to impress a neutral third party. The setting is immaterial for the story to work - Yoda could be on Christophsis, Felucia, Ryloth, Kashyyyk or anywhere for all the difference it makes. The setting does not have any real bearing on the story. While Supply Lines has chronological ties to both Ambush and the Ryloth trilogy, its story doesn't really provide much insight to either. And frankly, there isn't really any sense to be made out of Ambush - it remains a squalid little story with little to recommend it apart from the one stand-out scene in the cave.

true, but i lol'd at the droids.

I like them!