Freddie

MOCs: A trio of modular buildings

So, I'm not much of a poster here, but for once I've had a productive week in terms of MOC'ing, or rather designing such in MLCad. So, I figured I'd share my designs here as well. Sadly, they all lack proper interiors such as furniture, curtains and whatnot, but I figured I'd put all that in once they are done IRB.

First up is one I designed way back in November, after a spurt of inspiration at a local event; Mocca House.

8173027224_1ae162c6fa_z.jpg8173027016_9efb7e08d1_z.jpg

The two shops at ground level are meant to be a pair of competing coffee-bars, which are both accessed from the central corridor. From here entrance to the central staircase is also possible, with a single, large appartment at each floor.

For me the modular building series is all about unorthodox building techniques, or challenging oneself to certain limits, and as easily seen on the second picture, the challenge here was to place the walls at an odd angle, in this case nine degrees, and keep it consistent all the way up to the top floor.

The next one up is a building I've simply named Cream Flats, because of the tan color. This is more a planned re-use of parts for a trio of buildings I've already built, that I'm not satisfied with (lacking details, way to boxy design etc.), plus attempting to use basic colors as well. Middle floor is repeatable, meaning I can build several identical ones and they will all stack together without problems.

8500289917_db715c30e7_z.jpg8503019045_a35c659b72_z.jpg

I was experimenting with tile-patterns for the interior - with different colors, those might stay. Shops at ground floor are at the moment planned to be a florist and a... Well, I'm not sure. Something.

And finally, a design that I started on today, and which ended up very different from how I had planned it. Still, I'm very pleased with: Chocolate Corner.

8504026788_04ce210fd5_z.jpg8504026378_1787d996de_z.jpg

The initial idea was to somehow integrate this piece into a modern corner building design, and as the design progressed, it was kinda left out, and ended up looking like a much more classic and older building than what was intended. The ground floor is planned to house a confectionary, and the building's colors are themselves supposed to mimic the different variations of chocolate. Again, there's not much of an interior other than inner doors and walls, and a staircase leading up to the two appartments.

I've got a few more pictures on my Flickr-account, in case anybody wants to have a closer look. Other than that, what do you think?

Edit: Make that a quartet! Here's a more recent building; Bianca's Bikes. It's a simple, lime green box, with a bike-shop at ground level, but I'm pleased with the result. It's heavily inspired by AlienCat's Harry Hardware Store, but I just couldn't keep myself away from designing something similar. The wall technique is the same as on Mocca Corner, but here it's far more visible how it works.

8523190547_84f2dd9a1d_z.jpg8523190383_a78618520d_z.jpg

I've tested using the 3x12 wing plates as I've done here in this model, and it's a fully viable building technique. The gap between the floor and the wall closes nicely without any gaping holes or stressing the bricks.

Edited by Freddie

I've not posted on here for a while either, but I must say, I like these. Especially the design of the first one with the slight angle to the front.

Can't wait to see these built in real bricks.

I really like all three. The third reminds me of a very nice reworked Cafe Corner (Cafe Corner converted me from Mindstorms/Technic to modular and buildings).

For the Mocca House, how do you plan to achieve the front wall angle in bricks? Maybe a SNIR technique? Very nice. I need to push my limits more.

Thanks for sharing these, very inspirational.

Andy D

I love these buildings, particularly the first one with the angled walls and the top floor on the second building. The colour combinations are beautiful, as are the patterned floors!

Will you be building them with real bricks?

They are all great modular designs, but the first one totally rocks with it's very original sloped outwards front design......Brick On 'Freddie' ! :grin:

Thanks for the kind words! They are much appreciated! :classic:

For the Mocca House, how do you plan to achieve the front wall angle in bricks? Maybe a SNIR technique? Very nice. I need to push my limits more.

I'm guessing SNIR stands for Studs Not In Row? Anyway, the technique is simple enough: the walls are simply hinged, inspired by a technique Jamie Berard demonstrated on the Creator-site a few years ago. But, they are not double hinged, meaning they are not locked in that angle, and can move about. This is planned fixed with strategically placed interior and street furniture. The walls further up the building attach to the studs of the ground-floor walls, taking care of that problem. At least, that's the theory.

Will you be building them with real bricks?

That's the plan, yes. Eventually. Cream Flats is likely to be the first one built, since it's pretty much based on using pieces I already have in my collection.

Your Mocca House looks great with the angled facade! I also like that it is an odd number of windows wide, which lets you have that small corridor through the middle and spiral stairs at the back. Are those little inset balconies on the 2nd floor?

Well done on all the buildings!

Great CAD projects ...the first picture looks very complex! :thumbup:

...while it really isnt! :grin:

I really liked the fist one, mind if I borrow shamelessly from your design?

Sure, go ahead. I'd kept it secret if I didn't want others to try their hand at building diagonal walls. Besides, I'm not the first one to do so, AlienCat's "Harry Hardware Store" is my inspiration for Mocca House!

Thanks for the kind words! They are much appreciated! :classic:

I'm guessing SNIR stands for Studs Not In Row? Anyway, the technique is simple enough: the walls are simply hinged, inspired by a technique Jamie Berard demonstrated on the Creator-site a few years ago. But, they are not double hinged, meaning they are not locked in that angle, and can move about. This is planned fixed with strategically placed interior and street furniture. The walls further up the building attach to the studs of the ground-floor walls, taking care of that problem. At least, that's the theory.

Exactly! When I looked at your design I was trying to figure out how you might accomlish the angled walls an I remembered the SNIR technique from The Advanced Builder's Guide pdf at: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/KimT/Mixed/Instructions/advbuilding.pdf

I didn't' think about the hinge idea, not sure if I saw the demonstration. Is it still up?

Looking forward to seeing the Mocca House in bricks.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

They all look great but I'm partial to the Cream Flats. Love the idea of the repeatable floors you have the option to build.

Nice work and great choice of colours. I also love the way in which you have angled the front facade on the Mocha build...love to see it 'Brick-Built'.

These are spectacular. LOVE the angled facade on the first one. Any chance of you shared your files? Would love to learn your techniques, and build something similar for my town.

Great work!

These are spectacular. LOVE the angled facade on the first one. Any chance of you shared your files? Would love to learn your techniques, and build something similar for my town.

Great work!

Sorry, but I'm not sharing the files. I've done so once, only to see it reused without permission. :sceptic: But! The technique I've used is demonstrated here by Jamie. There is a few more tricks there as well, using the same technique, so it's really inspirational. And with a few well selected pieces, you can get other, really nice results:

8523190547_84f2dd9a1d_z.jpg8523190383_a78618520d_z.jpg

No interior on this one either, sorry, but it does demonstrate how well 3x12 wings work with the angled walls, and I've tested it IRB as well, so this one is very much buildable.

Edited by Freddie

Other than that, what do you think?

I think you have a great eye for modular design. The ones I have seen you build before are great, but these are probably even better - I particularly like the last one, Bianca's Bikes. The colour choices are superb, and your experiments with angled walls work perfectly. Trondheim? :)

Sorry, but I'm not sharing the files. I've done so once, only to see it reused without permission. :sceptic: But! The technique I've used is demonstrated here by Jamie. There is a few more tricks there as well, using the same technique, so it's really inspirational. And with a few well selected pieces, you can get other, really nice results:

No interior on this one either, sorry, but it does demonstrate how well 3x12 wings work with the angled walls, and I've tested it IRB as well, so this one is very much buildable.

Totally understand, and that stinks that that happened. Thanks for the link, though, and additional pics!

I think you have a great eye for modular design. The ones I have seen you build before are great, but these are probably even better - I particularly like the last one, Bianca's Bikes. The colour choices are superb, and your experiments with angled walls work perfectly. Trondheim? :)

Thank you! Sadly, PKH13 will be difficult as a deadline - I'm already working hard on my version of Jamie's town hall (which he built back in 2007, I think). I've spent way to much time just reverse-engineering it to give it up, and want to have that completed first, and in time for Trondheim. After that, I think Bianca's Bikes will be the second one to be built - I've already got a fair amount of pieces for it, so it should be easy enough to begin with, but for now I'm prioritizing the town hall.

Now that's impressive......your latest design is very original....I wonder if anyone will try and brick build it ? :wink:

Brick On LDD On 'Freddie' ! :classic: