Concore

LDD MOC: Narrow Gauge Steam Engine

8480365866_17a8f69f10_z.jpg

This little engine was inspired by the little shunting engine from LEGO's own City set, 4204 'The Mine' which it is pictured with below. This little engine is just 5 studs wide, and can run on rails at just 4-studs wide. The LEGO historians amongst you may recognise the character on which it's name is based.

8479274399_bb32dfb63f_z.jpg

The engine is based on the iconic miniature engine 'Talyllyn', from the Talyllyn Railway, the worlds first preserved railway in Wales, United Kingdom. The aim was to not to create an exact replica of the engine, but rather it was a self discipline exercise to produce a set that would fit in nicely along side the rest of the LEGO City range. As well as to represent a steam engine at this small scale.

8480364392_9e7000676e_z.jpg

Heres an image of it next the magnificent Emerald Night to appreciate the scale of the model. The entire 3-piece train is a tad longer than just the Emerald Night's Engine section!

8479275303_c356bc75c0_z.jpg

Had all the pieces been available in their respective colours I would have made a physical version of the model, but alas they don't, so instead this model was created using Bricksmith and rendered in POV-Ray (Thanks to C3POwen's awesome tutorial).

I've decided to upload it to LEGO Cuusoo, so if you like please SUPPORT it there. It would be great to have an actual LEGO Train set that was more affordable to those with a smaller pocket, as the smaller sets in the Trains range always seem to be random rolling stock, railway furniture (lights, station accessories, etc) or track packs, not much with the 'swoosh/chuff' factor.

There are more pictures as well as a second engine and some other rolling stock in the works which I'll post up here, and in its Flickr Album when they arrive..

Edited by Concore

I love the rendering of the model, i think i need to try out POV-Ray.

Very nice train. Would in work in any other colors.

When I saw this I was silent. This is such a cute little engine! I would love to try my hand at building a loco similar to this. With credit of course.

Oh that's wonderful! What a delightful NG locomotive and the coach and guards van are great as well.

Yes please do show us any further narrow gauge MOCs you build as what you've done so far is very inspiring.

Cheers for all the positive comments and support, just putting the finishing touches on another engine at the moment.

I'll also post a couple of other colour combinations up soon as well. :)

Edited by Concore

I know this is a bit off topic but how do i import lfx or jpgs into POV-Ray to render. Or is there another program to best do this.

That is just over the top bending the minifigs like that, really gets the feel of a lego promo picture... the only problem is that your colors are too good. You really need to stick some oddball colored part to make it look like a REAL lego set (like the tan axle pins on the EN) [Thppt!!!].

Now pulling my tongue out of cheek, a very good build (or rendered design as the case may be)

That is just over the top bending the minifigs like that, really gets the feel of a lego promo picture... the only problem is that your colors are too good. You really need to stick some oddball colored part to make it look like a REAL lego set (like the tan axle pins on the EN) [Thppt!!!].

lol, I did consider throwing the odd 2x2 blue plate in there somewhere, maybe I will in the next one. ^_^

Thanks for all the support guys.