GRogall

Winter Village 10235 Winter Village Market

everyone is jumping about on the pricing.. it's clear that lego prices have risen globally this year (or less parts for certain price points), and it looks like this time the USA didnt get protected from this either... well welcome to the rest of the world's issues!

Wow, this is really beautiful. I'm flabbergasted by the complaints; this looks to me like a set that could easily cost over $100 USD, and I'm pleased to see something this substantial, even if it is one of the two most expensive sets in the line. At least one certainly gets what one pays for - this has nine human minifigures, plus (uniquely printed!) horses, lots of accessories, mechanical functions... there's really a lot here.

Price per brick is one thing; I don't think that's the issue most people are having. I'm personally frustrated that Lego has decided to increase the size of the sets (and therefore the price) for WV. The first three sets were in the 600-800 piece range, and $55-70 USD range. Some of us just don't have the money to justify spending $100 on a set, especially during a time of already-high spending. For me, that's the problem. I loved the first three sets, and am effectively finding myself priced out of the line.

Considering how nice those first three sets were for their smaller size, that's a real shame.

Edited by Drogan

I like the set :wub: ... I'm not suprised the price went up, after all, that's a trend we saw in the years past, and once it goes up, it probably won't go down again. :hmpf_bad: So I guess I'll do what I did last year: Buy one, preferably when you get double VIP points, and then wait until next year when this hopefully goes on sale, then buy a couple more. :laugh:

I like the mechanism of the carousel, as many have pointed out, shouldn't be too hard to motorize ... put in your own imagination. :wink: I also like the new prints like the horse and the lollipop, and of course the teddy bear and the pretzel are awesome. :thumbup: As someone has mentioned before, the only thing that really lets me down is the missing light brick ... this has been part of every WV set thus far. :sceptic:

Overall, I think this set will fit in quite nicely with the set from two years ago, WV Post Office (especially the gacebo), maybe even better than it does with last year's set ... but nevertheless, I like it and will add it to my collection. :classic:

Edited by Pierre_Cochereau

Winter Village sets are so much fun! And if you are patient, the overstock may be marked down in the New Year at the LEGO stoes and online at LEGO. A great time to purchase spare sets.

The WV theme is attractive to me because it marks a happy and relaxed time of the year for many families and does not incorporate violence. This makes the sets compatible with city layouts. All in all a very nice set and theme.

Thanks to Astrid for another cool design, and to GRogall for the early photos!

I don't own any of the previous winter village sets, but this one to me is a must have. It's so cute!

As someone has mentioned before, the only thing that really lets me down is the missing light brick ... this has been part of every WV set thus far. :sceptic:

The problem with a light brick is that I can't see anywhere in this set that it could reasonably be incorporated.

Nope. I would prefer a building of some sort for the price. I can't see this going with the other winter sets. I have never seen a winter carnival. I'll pass on this one.

A nice looking set, seems to be a lot of interesting parts in it like the dark blue arches and the printed horses. :thumbup:

I will probably wait until we get a parts list before I decide if I want to get it or not. Previous Winter Village sets have been great parts pack and I've never been able to keep them together for long.

I personally think this set is great. After coming out of my dark ages, I jumped on the winter village series before the retired sets got too expensive in the after market. I think people have a problem with the price because sets that incorporate many smaller elements just don't look as impressive as a single big structure. I think this set captures the spirit of a winter market nicely, and the unique printed horses, mechanical functions, and 9 minifigures justify the price in my mind. I'm planning on taking elements from the other sets, like the igloo, tree lot, and giant christmas tree, and making an even larger winter market in the center of my village, with the larger buildings around it.

I am disappointed with the lack of a light brick, however. I think they could have incorporated it into the carousel somehow to make it look lit up. Guess it's something to mod when I get it :classic:

This looks like a nice set. I don't have any of the WV sets and I'm not planning to collect them but I might get this one for the parts. Especially for the horses. They are suitable for a king and other royal people.

Lovely set. Maybe not that great just on its own, but a very nice "accessory set" for those who own the other Winter Village sets and like to have them all put together in a display.

Instead of merry-go-round they should made a giant christmas tree.

But this set looks very warm and I really like it anyway.

They already did a giant Christmas tree for 10199.

Well, I am loving it. A small merry-go-round like this is part of a lot of german xmas-markets... Put it together with the music pavillion and it will be really really fine ;-)

Edited by Seehas

I am really excited about this set!! I can't wait! I just wish they would reduce Canadian pricing as we are constantly over paying for our sets by $30-50 dollars!

This set is so great! It's going to be an expensive LEGO year with all these great sets released this year.

Amazing :wub: Absolutely fantastic :wub: It must be mine.

I have all WV, I'm creating a scene with the other WV but now I will have to create other space to put this Market.

It remember me the Christmast Market of my town in Trentino (Italy) or Christkindlmarkt in German :wub:

Many thanks for the news GRogall, you make me happy, very very happy. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Of course, I run to my toy shop to book it :laugh:

I can see what people are saying about it not being an impressive looking set, but I really like the carousel (although it seemed quite noisy on the video) and I think this will give some focus for all the smaller bits we have got with all the other WV sets like the tree seller and ice rink, On it's own it might not be stand out but I think as part of a wider display with all the other WV sets it will look great!

I have already decided that out Christmas tree this year is going on my daughters Brio Train table so that I can remove the Brio Train and assemble my Winter Village around the base of the tree. :classic:

D

I like it because of the carousel and the bucket game...and that's it. As a Winter Village Carousel it would be good on its own, the other stalls seem wasted. I don't like how they are trying to make the arches a marketing point, because they know MOCers use such pieces, but to blatantly state it seems wrong somehow. They shouldn't need to market a piece as a reason to get a set, period.

$100 is a bit much, and I don't like how the Winter Village and licensed S@H exclusives prices' rise with each set, but at least it isn't $150 or whatever ridiculous number the WVM was rumored to be!

Aw... Why have I not the other Winter Village sets?! :( Imagine how nice it would be to pick them out once a year to build them around Yule Tide. It would be a great tradition. Unfortunately I have spent too much money to afford all of the Winter Village sets... Especially since the price of the older ones are so high now. And I also want to buy Orthanc some time... :/ But the sets look great. Cozy as H*** :) And lots of white plates :D Would love to have some more of those

Why do they keep making different lampposts?! Consistency, TLG! You do it with the Modulars. Come on! Other than that, I'm defnitely liking it. All the booths are nice and will go well with the gazebo from 10222 Post Office as the centerpiece of a little market.

At this point I kind of think the different lampposts every year might be some sort of running gag among the designers. :laugh: I don't mind it too much, personally.

I am not overwhelmed by this. I like a few of the pieces, and the carousel doesn't seem too bad; however, I can pass on all the little side builds - already have so many little "huts" and benches from the other sets. I would be happier to pay half the price for just a carousel, but I will be picking it up anyway - it's become a tradition now.

Although I may still get this set as a gift, depending on how much my mother-in-law wants to carry on her tradition, I'm sadly less than impressed. Although I agree with many who say that the price doesn't seem right (I too enjoyed that the first three were cheaper than $100 but were still marvelous sets), that it lacks the focal point of previous winter sets, and that we already have an abundance of stalls and outbuildings (although that one could also be a positive--the other stalls could be added to this set), it's ultimately the minifigures that makes me want to pass on this one; they are the proverbial straw.

There are no new or unique minifigure parts in this set; with the exception of the green dress design from the Kingdoms Joust, I think every torso has been featured in at least one previous winter village set--some have been featured in multiple ones! The previous sets were focused much more on buildings, with the minifigures breathing life into the scenes. With a set like this one, which is more focused on an activity rather than a building, one would think that there would be a better variety of minifigures.

Instead of merry-go-round they should made a giant christmas tree.

Ah, but those who have to first one.....the toy shop, got a giant brick-built....or should I say plate-built Christmas tree with it.

Now I :wub: this latest addition to the series......cute merry-go-around and little stalls too :wub: .......though I too wonder about so many different street light designs ? :look:

My other problem with it is......I must wait until Toyworld sells them in 10 months time. :cry_sad:

Still it will be worth the wait. :grin: