So after a week of tinckering and improviments on the new portal hub assembly I give you the Titan!

For now I have only these 2 pictures, but more will follow soon:

p1190111.jpg

p1190112.jpg

As you can see, its powered by 4 XL motors, each wheel has one geared down 5x, giving it teh highest total torque in any of my models.

The motors are also structual parts, holding the axles together. For steering there is a mini LA for each axle, capable of steering angle of 30 degrees. Due to the way axles are built I wasnt able to use the 4 parallel links to stop the axles from swaying side to side, but instead used a small panhrod. Suspension allows for a total of some 60 degrees of flex and even though I used the hardest springs, its still pretty soft.

I will give more info tommorow when I eill record the Titan in action.

Cheers!

:O seems pretty powerful, but why you didnt butted bb-s vertical?(i think it would look better if you put them vertical).

:O seems pretty powerful, but why you didnt butted bb-s vertical?(i think it would look better if you put them vertical).

Lower center of gravity and more room for seats,

Its difference is so small i think(center gravity), but thats your creation, you do what you want. Please do some other pictures with other wheels too.

Its difference is so small i think(center gravity), but thats your creation, you do what you want. Please do some other pictures with other wheels too.

No other wheels will fit on these portal hubs. But the unimog's and crawler's hubs can be attach insetad and used for other wheels.

A dirty pic of hubs:

p1190113.jpg

and all the parts hold up without breaking?? if so, sweet! I've designed new axles with 1 xl on each but havent got around to building a chassis for them... I'm going for the fast, lightweight approach :laugh:

Looks very powerful. Are you driving to xl's per battery box? And is it still fast with all the reduction? I look forward to the video.

tim

No slippage so far, but i need to check on fresh batteries tommorow. The gear reduction results in speed simillar to 9398, some 10% slower, but than again it doesnt get stuck like 9398 and no time loss there. Of course i wanted to build it light, but these wheels have just so much traction and weight, that you really need a lot of power and support for that power, and this is the result.

Edited by Zblj

The promised pictures.

First a classic picture of the truck. Notice the all wheel steering.

p1190123.jpg

The batteries and bodywork can be removed with unlockment of just few red pins:

p1190116.jpg

Underside doesnt really reveal much in this particular model.

p1190124.jpg

i am particullary proid of the hubs. They have a 1:3 gear ratio and a very close king pin pivot point:

p1190125.jpg

The winch uses a driving ring in order to quickly unwind the rope. Idea behind the winch is to help other trucks out, not the Titan :devil:

p1190122.jpg

And a video of the thing:

[media[

[/media]

Hah! I like how the Titan is pulling that Hyundai car! :laugh: It sure does well in the snow, and those Lego tires have a lot of grip. You know what I'm going to ask next -- do you have plans to make Lego Digital Designer (LDD) building instructions for it? :blush:

I know that those wheels are rare, and that the hubs fit inside them.

7522499010_90ec361eac_b.jpg

Thanks for posting the LDD file. I wanted to see how you built the hubs more closely, they look designed well.

Edited by dvsntt