Fugazi

10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Thank god they included R2 - I've been trying to get my hands on him for ages!

Seriously though this really does nothing for me - I always prefered the Imperial hardware and frankly like stuff that works in Minifig scale best.

Also what is the logic of bringing this out when they already have a minifig scale model on the shelves?

Edited by TeufelHund

Excellent Work! :thumbup: :thumbup: I am pleased that it looks smoother than the previous UCS X-Wing and the detail is great! I wonder if this will affect the secondary value of the previous UCS X-Wing.

Rant ON

Ok, just my opinion - two days ago we didn't know that the UCS X-wing would come. So far most comments are on how bad it is to re-release it/the design etc etc. I honestly think that it's better to now have the choice to buy it, to buy it and modify it or not to buy it - than to have none of those choices. So maybe it is a good thing and not basicly the end of the world?

And for the design of it......... The designer has put in lots & lots of research into this, so much that there is a story to tell just about that. I'm sure there are builders out here that are good as well, and I'd like to see those modifications later on. But I also have a problem finding ONE exact drawing/desctription/model on how the "real" X-wing looks like. So just maybe it's a pretty good design taking into account that it's a toy from a company that has a business to run and is under licensence from Lucas!

Rant OFF

and so they finally recreated a UCS xwing. :classic: I didn't get one, so many years ago, when the first was released, but... hm... I don't know... exept for the model itself, the legendary xwing, I don't really see any strong points, honestly. To me, the over all shape looks too 'blocky' or 'heavy", I was expecting a slim nose, a sleek figure... some great detailed engines... the set is bit of a letdown, for me, but it's not bad either, it's just not what i was hoping for... With all the bricks Lego has, these days, this could have been way better for that price.

Looks like I was too late.... or was an inspiration to LEGO? See my post of last year for the USC XWing 2nd edition: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71783&hl=

I wonder where they got the idea for the engine exhaust... :hmpf_bad:

7535868494_3f3e087d8d.jpg

And believe it or not, I am now working on another new version that has a similar scissor mechanism for the s-foils...

Anyway, absolutely gorgeous new USC model, definitely going to buy it. Unless LEGO wants to compensate me for my idea of course :wink:

They've improved some bits looking closer the wing mech is a major fix but they still never fixed the engine diameter, they are just to small!

I like it and will be getting one. Of course, there are always inaccuracies. There's only 2 things I can now say I won't be doing: I won't apply (all) decals and won't be fitting R2 - it's just too small. They should have added a pilot, even though it's not to scale. They add pilots with the planet sets, why not do the same with non-minifig scaled UCS sets? Just add the minifig on a display plate.

TBH I would have rather seen a new Y-wing, sandcrawler, or snowspeeder. But I suppose they'll do a remake of those in time, too.

I find the complaints here baffling. This looks sweet :sweet: It'll be a hard purchase since LEGO has built up a number of annual releases at a high price. But, it's on my radar, and I may buy it.

Oddities with the colours - the rear engines should show the two dark grey rings but don't (and that would just be using the same brick in a different colour). Some of the missing detailing could have been achieved with an extra sticker or too - ah well, it's pretty good but £169 for £1555 bricks? Hmm!! At least the B wing had a good parts per brick ratio...

I love the X-wing and I really appreciate this re-release.

That said, the poor nose design on this set really hurts the overall look of the thing.

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I find it really difficult to understand that none of the professional designers at Lego pointed this out and corrected it.

All other issues are minor in my opinion.

Please compare these three pictures:

449539237587277.jpg

16f63a237587471.jpg

031fe6237588114.jpg

New model is much closer to original w-wing and front part is greatly modeled in order with original. Also, r2d2 size is proportional to the one in original model. The engines are now realistyc, wings are much more detailed and even thou modifications seems small compared to 7191, they are not if you compare them to original x-wing.

It looks awesome but those canopy stickers freak me out. I am not sure I am able to stand the pressure putting these on a 200€ set. Misplacing them only a mm will leave me focusing on my mistake more than on the beauty of this model.

Interesting that they chose to use the DS II on the box, when Red 5 is an Episode IV/V ship. I don't think it featured in ROTJ? Could be wrong. :def_shrug:

I'm really pleased that they've solved the major weakness of the earlier set - that the wings had a tendency to fall off! Otherwise, it's remarkably similar; which is no bad thing as 7191 was a great set - especially considering it was released in the early days of SW and when UCS was a new thing.

I agree the nose looks a little odd, and I've complained before about the diminutive R2, but I'll definitely be getting this even though I have the old one.

At some point, someone will look at the SW licence and realize that you can't invent the wheel twice, or thrice... (and I love Lego SW, and buy lots of sets).

You can if the wheel was originally almost rectangular. Having owned the original, blocky, inaccurately-colored UCS X-Wing, I can easily see what a massive improvement this one represents. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's definitely a better likeness than the original. The most iconic ship in Star Wars deserved much better, and it looks like it's finally getting that.

I'm really pleased that they've solved the major weakness of the earlier set - that the wings had a tendency to fall off!

Really ?

2392201510.jpg

For the nose, remplacing the 3x3 plate by 3 1x3 tiles would make a much better looking model. I am pretty sure about it.

I think it looks good... I'm kind of amazed that people are complaining about movie accuracy here. This is about as movie accurate as it gets... some people are just never pleased. :hmpf:

That said, its a tiny bit out of my price range. There are a lot of other sets I want to get this year. If it ever goes on sale, I MIGHT get it, but for now I'll have to hold off.

7191 had canopy stickers; the easiest way to apply them perfectly is to spray the canopy with soapy water, then you can move the stickers around with ease; when your happy just use a credit card to squeegy the water away and leave to dry.

After seeing Wildboar's comparison pictures, I don't think I have a problem with R2's size at all. I was anxious for all of the comments to come in on this one to see everyone's opinion. I'm in the camp that I don't see all the negativity. This model is fantastic. Perfect, no. It's a vast improvement over prior versions. And I'm grateful that those of us who didn't get the original UCS have the opportunity to get this. And by the way, just because something was an "UCS" in the past, doesn't mean it's the "ultimate" version that can be done. I see no reason why UCS sets can't be redone and improved over the years.

Now I know where by double vip points for march is going. This baby will be mine. Would be nice if they included a rare minifigure pilot even though it would be out of scale to the ship like they did with the r2d2.

Please compare these three pictures:

New model is much closer to original w-wing and front part is greatly modeled in order with original. Also, r2d2 size is proportional to the one in original model. The engines are now realistyc, wings are much more detailed and even thou modifications seems small compared to 7191, they are not if you compare them to original x-wing.

Nice comparison! I retract my comment about R2 being too small :)

Hmmm, I might be the only one, but I prefer the more "battered" look of the first one. This one looks too clean, but that's only my opinion. Still a very nice model, I'll be broke and homeless if lego keeps this up.

Awesome set and definitely a step up from 7191. Definitely looking forward to picking up a couple. Since I missed out on the original, I am happy they are making this set.

Wow, I can hardly believe that a second UCS X-Wing is a reality! I'm so happy about this. I remember always looking at the boxes for the original UCS X-Wing and Tie in stores and wishing I had the money for them, because they looked so darn cool.

While I'm not absolutely blown away but the look of this (it looks almost too clean and tidy), it still looks like a great model. I'm happy with the changes from 7191, especially the printed canopy piece. I suppose my biggest complaint is that the fuselage still doesn't have a hexegonal shape.

I'm not going to make the mistake of missing out on this set!