Locomotive Annie

Diesels, - the rot is setting in.

Hi Lazarus,

Is that black or dark blue that you used for the top? Looks like a nice color scheme!

@ Lazarus, The Class 15 was scrapped long before the Railfreight livery was introduced . . . but one locomotive was preserved and for a short time the enthusiasts who bought her, did indeed paint the engine as you've shown. Nice job. By way of the bogies, you can indeed convert these to be geared - I think you and Locomotive Annie et al have the original LXF - but I'll let you solve that little puzzle on your own ;)

I've started to have a look over the design in the lxf, only since I run Linux the software is running a bit slow and buggy. I'm not too worried about that though as I find I think better with actual bricks in hand. Since I'm modifying the design to represent a NZGR 'Di' Class in the form I remember them best colours aren't so much of a problem as they were essentially red, grey and black. Even the shade of red was variable as it could range from being quite dark to almost crimson depending on where and when the loco had its last overhaul. Of course in service with general dirt and exhaust soot the shade of red darkened off into an almost grubby maroon so really the standard Lego red brick colour should work out just fine for me.

My plan is to build up my own powered bogies using Technic parts and probably an M motor as I don't think the standard RC or PF motorblocks are going to look the part. Fortunately as a transfer loco it won't have to be able to haul much so I may be able to get away with just the one powered bogie.

train02_zps5b44d195.png

The bogies certainly are works of art.and I'm very impressed. Now I just have figure out how to change some of the elements around to get some gears in there.

Edited by Locomotive Annie

Hmmm. I cannot find Earth Blue and Earth Green are not on Bricklink? Any other suggestions?

those are renamed to Dark green and dark blue

Thanks. Pick a Brick has not caught onto this convention so i was a little confused.

Err... The colours haven't been renamed so there's no catching on for PaB to do.

Lego use different names for colours than fans do. And even the fan sites don't always agree...

Have a look here for colour translations.

I did a bit more redesign before I realized 3068 and 3069 are called 3068b and 3069b on bricklink. (yes I realize Annie listed all the parts on P1).

I changed the engine doors so they are quite simple and very nearly in the same position. I changed the cab too but I might recess the door again at some point.

There's room inside for a battery box and m-motor. I'll wait till everything is ready to work out where to put the PF inc IR receiver.

8484541122_82c297e213_z.jpg

Changes on the left. PickYourownBogie original on the right.

8483474567_aa44e768f1_z.jpg

Well I have finally received most of my orders. Unfortunately one of the sellers mixed up and gave me a million 1x4 green bits instead of 1x3.

I noticed some blocks of varying colour too.

I'm not sure if it looks out of scale with the official sets?

I had to fix some structural issues and I still have a couple to fix. Hopefully the bogies are strong enough.

Here are some bad pics.

Thanks again to PYOBogie :)

8533950926_05caae330a_c.jpg

8532854089_15bd735ed9_c.jpg

8533962566_6661b3597d_c.jpg

I'm just a little bit sad to see someone else convert this design to brick before me - but I think you've done a really good job in sorting out the original LXF for your own purposes and ultimately I'm really pleased to see how it turned out. Well done!

It looks pretty neat with the bogies on. I'll get some pics up soon. I think I'll be waiting a while for the replacement 1x3 tiles.

I thought I might have to skip some detail on the bogies because of how fragile they look but they actually hold together pretty well (I did use a 1 x 8 across the bogey so that the whole side of the bogey wasn't only supported at the rear).

Haven't tested it around corners but I did move the ladders so it didn't contact on turning. It rolls along straights quite well. I reckon PF is quite doable.