NiceMarmot

Departure of the Southern Lions from Messahmuk

8463606943_cb6b5eff6c_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions from Messahmuk's Western Gate

[if you've read the next few paragraphs in the Kaliphlin thread, then skip ahead]

Gex put down the letter from Dugal, and stared out the window of the guard captain's quarters in the Western Gatehouse in Messahmuk, pondering the ever-increasing difficulties of the war against Revolword and the higher and higher personal costs. Outside, there was the clatter of stonemasons' chisels and hammers, from the repairwork on the gatehouse, heavily damaged in an attack by earth elementals a week ago. Farther in the distance, rows of newly dug graves lined the ancient Western Shore Road. At least this gate is still standing, thought Gex randomly, the northern gate is still completely destroyed and impassable.

"Is it authentic?" asked Butellius, the captain of the guard, whose men had received the missive from a white turbaned man on a camel from Queenscross.

"Yes, quite so," sighed Gex. "I recognize Dugal's hand, and this is definitely his seal. The accompanying note, from Tyras, my factor in Queenscross, also attests that Dugal wrote and sealed it in his presence, and Tyras' word is unquestioned. Poor Dugal! I never suspected this of Petera!"

"Then the situation in Queenscross is dire indeed. Dugal dead, and a larger enemy army than we feared approaching the city. If they take Queenscross, there's little to stop them before they reach the walls of Petraea." groaned Makenippa, the current secretary of the Council of Elders.

Gex broke out of his solemn reverie, turned back to Makenippa, and his demeanor changed to one of action. "We need to send troops to Queenscross, immediately. I don't know where we'll find them, since we're sending the Southern Lions to help save Mypa Stedor. We can't let the enemy break through Queenscross, or worst-case, the Jackals' Teeth at the top of the Escarpment Pass. Otherwise they can ravage Mophet and the other oil towns on their way to Petraea. I'll send Growlfarghh the werewolf to the coordinates that Dugal requested; he's the best one for the job."

"I'll call a Council meeting for tonight," said Makenippa. "We have no more troops to send. The Southern Lions are loading on the ships as we speak. The Silver Shields are half destroyed, and we need the remainder to protect Messahmuk, the valley, and the mines and armories at Erezhi. At all costs, we can't lose Erezhi, and we certainly can't let it fall into Revolword's hands."

"I know," said Gex. "We'll have to think of something. Let's hope for some good news from Mypa Stedor..."

[OK, picking up the story now...]

Late that day, Gex composed a letter to Tyras Jazar, his factor in Queenscross:

Tyras,

I hope this letter finds you still alive and Queenscross still strong. I received your letter this morning, and it quite threw the Council of Elders into a panic. We did not expect that things would go so wrong up north so quickly. Dugal's untimely demise is a heavy blow. We had already committed most of the available troops, consisting largely of the Southern Lions, to help support Damaximus at Mpya Stedor. Makenippa was worried enough that we wouldn't be able to protect the city and the mines and armories at Erezhi.

But our prayers have been answered! While the Council was (heatedly) discussing our limited options, a messenger burst in from the docks, quite out of breath. He was so excited he could barely get the message out -- one of the PGTC's ships had just arrived from Mpya Stedor with the news that the city walls had held, and Damaximus had won a great victory against Valsharess and the Hand! Apparently many are dead, and Valsharess captured!

Well, you can imagine the relief at this news! Cheering, hurrahs, etc! Old Gerships Hamilcarzi even broke into his private stash of Siccus Ultra Reserve '37 and gave everyone a drink! I suppose miracles really do happen.

The Southern Lions were immediately ordered to unload from their ships and redeploy northwards as soon as possible to support Queenscross. You can imagine the grumbling from the ranks. It took a few hours to unload, and then a few more to arrange a baggage train for an overland journey, plus we had to bring the cavalry too, which we wouldn't have needed at Mpya Stedor. It was late afternoon before they left the city, but they should make good time up to Queenscross as long as they don't run into any trouble. Count Darzag is leading the expedition; he's quite competent.

It was quite a sight as they marched out of the Western Gate, resplendent in the late afternoon sun! I'm sure they will look even better to you all as they march down from the Escarpment towards your city! They had to use the Western Gate, as the Northern Gate is still quite destroyed from Revolword's elemental attack several weeks ago; it's totally impassable. The Western Gate sustained damage, but is still very usable. It's not fancy, but that most ancient of our city gates held up quite well.

The troops have directions to get to Queenscross as soon as possible, and if the city has already fallen, to fall back to the Jackals' Teeth, and thence back to defend Petraea. Their secondary mission is to ensure that there are no ravaging bands of the Hand threatening Erezhi. Give Paulos any assistance you can; he's a good one, and he has Dugal's blessing. Please return this falcon with any news of Queenscross, as well as any intelligence of the enemy's troop movements. As I expect you will have a hard time of it soon, I am sending three ships with supplies to Barqa, and then up the river to you. You may dispose of the supplies as you see fit; this is not the time to worry about profit.
If Queenscross falls, I believe I shall have to bring whatever remaining troops we can find and help defend Petraea, leaving the Muk Valley and Erezhi essentially undefended.

Wyndifera sends her best, and says that you and Yasminafa must come down to our place in the Mystic Mountains if things get too bad in Queenscross. I know you won't leave, but perhaps you will send her on? Darzag can arrange transportation.

I hope this is enough to help you all. Good luck to you all!

Yours in Kaliphlin,

Gex

8464706068_8e802a1213_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions

I kept the design of the gatehouse and walls fairly simple and clean, trying to make it look like a more ancient and slightly decrepit structure, before ornamentation got popular, or perhaps built when the city didn't have enough money for fancy buildings. (Plus that makes it easier to build!) The structure is fully detachable -- the walls detach from the gatehouse, and the each floor of the gatehouse and the wall tower lift off so you can see the interior of each floor. Someday I'll try to get photos of the interiors; they're pretty basic right now. There is a slot through the middle for the portcullis, although, as you can see, the earth elemental ripped it out and left it against the gatehouse wall.

8457083721_e2d34afebe_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions - leading the way

Count Darzag leading the Southern Lions to help defend Queenscross and Petraea

8459391383_f4d4f67a35_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions - front oblique

8457082917_26761cc041_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions - front left

8458184228_97b946ecbb_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions - the workers

These guys have a lot of work to do to fix the gatehouse and city walls! Get back to work, before another earth elemental shows up!

8458185146_bd3308d093_c.jpg

Departure of the Southern Lions - left side

This is not technically part of the 6th Challenge (too big), and not part of the Kaliphlin off-to-war mini challenge (again, too big). But the story is relevant to my challenge entry, so I suppose it's a freebuild prelude to the challenge. Enjoy; C&C welcomed.

Nooooo! I will be just too late for something :laugh: (it has something to do with the last but one picture)

Anyway the whole MOC is really amazing! The gatehouse and walls are looking fabolous (and indeed very ancient) :classic:

The repairing workers give it a very nice finishing touch!

Also neat army coming out of the Gate :sweet:

And the background is fantastic!

Great job, this turned out really nice! I like the cleanness of the walls, and the stonecutter's area looks awesome! Love the wooden details, and impressive army! Great story too! :thumbup:

I like how massive the gatehouse and wall are. Great touches with the stonemason's working (love that roof design), crane, and scaffold for the guy working on the tower :thumbup:

Excellent desert-scaping as well :classic:

Nice build! I love the big army and great collection of sand bricks. I am with Kermit, do you have any interior pics?

Excellent job, we have been waiting since the last preview and you did not disappoint! Looks great, I like how you finished up the construction portions, and the hut is neat with that roof style. All in all, a formidable sturdy gatehouse, and an awesome army.

Although... When I do the battle, I probably can only represent the vanguard of this unit in figs... But, like DaMax's army, we can probably make a plot point of where this army serves in one of the secondary fronts of the battle.

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like the masons at work :wink:

great work, besides all the other things mentioned, I really like how you created a rather realistic desert feeling! Cool stuff!

And the background is fantastic!

I always worry about whether backgrounds like this are too much, distracting. Considered doing a simpler background, but finally figured out how to do sand and clouds correctly and wanted to try it out. Let me know if anyone finds the backgrounds too distracting; it would be good to know for future builds.

Any pics of the interior of the castle?

Nice build! I love the big army and great collection of sand bricks. I am with Kermit, do you have any interior pics?

Great MOC! I feel the simplistic style of it is great. I too would love to see some interior shots.

Well, I'll try to post some in the next few days. The gatehouse and tower are fully modular, but the interiors are currently bare -- no furniture or anything like that. Note sure I'll get around to furnishing them, as I'm trying to reserve building time for the sixth challenge entries.

I love this build. I loved seeing the progress as you posted, even though I'm just getting around to posting here. It's great to see armies in action, and I love the story. The ground cover and the mine are great as are the castle walls. Great job!

Great build!

The background makes it look great, not at all distracting from the build, though.

Nice army! :wink:

Excellent build and nice photo editing (although the horizon looks a bit low on the first pic?) I love the walls you've built there, it actually inspired one of my MOCs presenting my soon-to-be sigfig's backstory ;)