Sign in to follow this  
LegoBenzine

Legends of Chima-Overall Thoughts

Now that the sets have been out for a while. What are everyone overall thoughts on how Chima looks. I was originally skeptical about this theme but maybe just because it is replacing my favorite line of sets (Ninjago). I also used to think the title was Chima, sounding like the Asian country China and I thought speedorz would be a whole separate theme. What are your thoughts and comments.

As a huge castle/pirate fan,I LOVE minifigs, but I am not so sure about sets themselves. I am so glad they decided to go with animal tribes. Ill def. be collecting all animal tribes. I wish they made it more medivalish but I can understand why they didnt. Overall I am very pleased with this theme.

The Minifigs are great, probably the best part of the theme. I'm a bit to old to be of the target market for the heavy fantasy vehicle sets. Some I like for neat sub designs and some great parts and colors, but for me they are nothing special. I thought Ninjago, especially the first waves, did a better sense of giving a sense of place and setting. Things like the Fire Temple, Blacksmith shop, shrines and dojo and the Temple of Light. Chima has a bit to much in the way of wheels on everything for my tastes. For a crotchety old AFOL like me the Speedorz are pointless and the game incomprehensible.

Edited by Faefrost

Personally I love it and I think it's an excellent heir of Ninjago.

The general lackness of places and buildings in the sets is well balanced with the overall epicness of the figs: much more various/detailed than the ninjas, IMO.

Edited by Lucanik-san

I'm not a fan at all to be honest. I might pick up a polybag with one of the bird people in it though to get the wings.

Minifigs and vehicle sets are great; just not sure about the Speedorz. They're great for playability and all, but other than that I'm not sure.

The Speedorz I find to be pretty useless to be honest, they just don't seem to work as indicated, (or at least i cannot get them to.) which is a shame. The vehicles whilst at first I did not like them have grown on me as I have bought a couple to see how they go together.

They seem to be in a more Epic scale than other LEGO stuff, even more so than space stuff, but they are easy to make MOCs from as after all they are not actually based on anything real.

I am not so sure about the figures or at least the ones with wings, the attachment for the wings is very blocky and does not give an organic look. The wings look more like part of a 'jump pack' than actual real wings and as such I don't see why any tribe could not have them.

Also the named characters, whilst I do not object to them I feel there still needs to be a generic 'soldier' figure to represent the mass ranks. For example in one of the shots on the promotional video it shows a whole hall of lion figures full up, and it also shows a convoy with more than one of the same lion vehicle. This to me either implies that there are an awful lots of figures that we do not have, or even have names for, or that the names given are more like a martial rank rather than a real personal name!

So over all I'd say the Speedorz are rubbish.

The Vehicles have grown on me.

The figures are OK but certainly could have been better.

Apart from the minifigures which are great, this theme is a refreshing surprise. We get a story behind the figures and several tribes instead of the usual two factions that are typical of lego sets. More over, the vehicles are impressive in that they look like animals and the various tribes which brings a sense of character to each tribe. The summer wave has shown the sets to be even grander and exciting as well as the introduction of new tribes to tease the pallet of lego fans. For years we have been demanding a greater variety of animals from the usual dog and cat from lego. They did one better and gabe us them in minifigure form. I do see bigger and brighter things for this theme as long as lego continue to fulfill our animal instincts and desires.

Edited by kermit

i have collected almost all of the sets at this time, and i totally love how they took old ideas from exo-force and ninjago and putted together. It's a matter of tastes anyway.

Apart from the sets I don't bother with speedorz at all.

I'm still not fond of the main line, but I'm in love with the Speedorz. I own 'em all. I also really like the polybags, and they make up for not owning the main sets (though it seems like most of the figures in them will released in a Speedorz set).

I'll be honest, this theme looks interesting, but only a couple of sets this wave catch my eye (The pack tracker and Rascal's scout vehicle). I'm not sure why, the other sets have creative designs for the animal motifs (The different ways they incorporate an animal head similar to the Ninjago skeleton and snake vehicles) and the minifigs are detailed. I think it's how I'm saving my cash for some of the sets later on in the year (Lone Ranger, LotR, Galaxy Squad)

i have collected almost all of the sets at this time, and i totally love how they took old ideas from exo-force and ninjago and putted together. It's a matter of tastes anyway.

Apart from the sets I don't bother with speedorz at all.

This.

Except that I don't have all build sets yet (I'm not going to buy speedorz), but it's my goal this year.

I'm not a big fan of anthromorphism anyway, so my impressions are not the greatest. But really then I suppose it's meant to appeal to children more than AFOL's.

I'm a lifetime role-playing gamer, and my favorite games involve post-apocalyptic settings full of humanoid "animal mutants" and freaky vehicles / technology.

The minifigs alone make me adore the Chima line, but the whole series makes me giddy.

I don't know, I have now got most of the sets and have bought a couple of speedorz for bits and mini-figures, but to be honest although I like the sets, the speedorz I just can't get on with, I have tried a few times and just got frustrated. I tried to get the wife interested to have a game but found it too hard to pull her away from T.V. and her friends sets. One thing I would say is that the vehicles are all rather big, but they seem to consist of a lot of air if you know what I mean? Very Technic, large wheels or tracks at funny angles mounted on huge suspension. I'd like them to be perhaps a little more compact myself, but i still bought them.

I thought it wouldn't be nearly as good as Ninjago at first, but Chima's attention to detail, great figs, and fun, laid-back personality with touches of scale, background, and an epic overarching story have won me over. On another note, the Speedorz are really, really fun to just zip around and play with. :D

It would be a better story if LEGO introduced an Alligator tribe :wub_drool: into the Chima world, to have a proper counterpart to the Crocodile tribe. (The Aliligator tribe would be on the Lion tribe's side.) In this way, there would be an underwater reptilian tribe for both sides of the war in the world of Chima.)

Here is an edit:

It would also be really nice there if LEGO introduced one or two different Dragon tribes. :wub_drool: One of them would be Chinese (or other oriental) type of dragons :dhappy: that would be on the Lion tribe's side -- since they would be wise and benevolent (good, kind, gental and heroic) in character and personality and believe in honour! :innocent2: The other one would be European (or Western) type of dragons :dangry: that would be on the Crocodiles' side (or at least Crooler's side anyway, should the other Crocodiles switch to the Lions' side, especially Cragger, Crunket and Crominus) -- since they would be evil in character and personality and are crafty there, like Worriz of the Wolf tribe and Crooler of the Crocodile tribe are now, so they would not believe in honour and will do no matter what it takes to win a war, even if it means for them to lie, cheat and steal their way to victory! :pirate_skel1::devil_laugh:

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

I'm an AFOL and was intent on not getting into Chima as I'm trying to cut down on themes but curiosity ebbed away my defence looking at the stunning minifigs.

I've given in going for a taster in 70115 Ultimate Speedor Tournament as it is the most inexpensive way to get the two main characters Laval and Cragger (I'm not interested in the Speedor bikes themselves).

Wow - very impressive minifigs and a magical build of the Lion mini 'base' - so many fascinating build techniques - total quality (I have not fitted the target/rear bars). I was so impressed I've also now gone for Eris Eagle Interceptor to go with Ewar's Acro Fighter.

When we see licenced theme after licenced theme coming out it is refreshing seeing pure imagination at play and I wish LEGO every success with Chima, there really is alot of quality here for AFOLs to enjoy - I really hope it follows in Ninja (please don't) Go's soundly trodden path with longevity, rich model design, characters and imagination scope.

I love the theme already - absolute quality and pleasantly & suprisingly Chima is highly recommended..!

Edited by jamzee

I think the toy theme's story should be much closer to the TV show's story of the same name than it is now, as I much prefer the TV show's story over the toy theme's story. This is because, at least in the TV show there is at least some hope of Cragger in turning good in character and personality -- since Crooler and her orchid are the reasons why Cragger is doing evil things (he is hipnotised by Crooler's orchid, thus is her slave, even though he is (currently) the King of the Crocodile tribe), and he can't stay hipnotised by Crooler's orchid forever, as someone else is bound to find out about this, eventually (probably Plomar, the little bird, who cleans Cragger's teeth from time to time, which is my prediction, but it could be anyone else who is on the good side of the war) -- whereas, in the toy theme's story, there is no mention whatsoever of Cragger in being hipnotised by Crooler's orchid to do evil things and that, in fact, it is Crooler, not Cragger, who is the real threat to the good tribes (and thus peace) in the land of Chima. :classic::wink:

I think the toy theme's story should be much closer to the TV show's story of the same name than it is now, as I much prefer the TV show's story over the toy theme's story. This is because, at least in the TV show there is at least some hope of Cragger in turning good in character and personality -- since Crooler and her orchid are the reasons why Cragger is doing evil things (he is hipnotised by Crooler's orchid, thus is her slave, even though he is (currently) the King of the Crocodile tribe), and he can't stay hipnotised by Crooler's orchid forever, as someone else is bound to find out about this, eventually (probably Plomar, the little bird, who cleans Cragger's teeth from time to time, which is my prediction, but it could be anyone else who is on the good side of the war) -- whereas, in the toy theme's story, there is no mention whatsoever of Cragger in being hipnotised by Crooler's orchid to do evil things and that, in fact, it is Crooler, not Cragger, who is the real threat to the good tribes (and thus peace) in the land of Chima. :classic::wink:

There probably is no mention because that was entirely the company who made the show (I forget the name, but I know it is different than Ninjago). They are probably the ones coming up with most of the story, except for basic things like affiliation, basic backstory, and personality. It would be rather ridiculous, in my opinion, for LEGO to remodel their sets and boxart which has already been finished based on what someone the hired to tell and expand their story has decided on.

And I think we get that Crooler, not Cragger, is the real bad guy. :sceptic: I don't see why every post has to go back to that.

Good Cragger Fan, I should point out to you that the sets, in their artwork and the descriptions, do not point towards any tribes being 'better' than any others. Yes, certain tribes have looks about them can generally be construed as more menacing and a typical depiction of 'evil,' and some tribes are put with red while others with blue, but look just a little bit beyond that. In the Command Ship, the artwork and description say that the Lions are stealing the Crocs' Chi. In the Pack Tracker, the wolves are being attacked. The sets just give us a place with many tribes at war, that's it. It's LEGO, so make up your own story if you don't like the one in the show.

You can legitimately claim to not like the show's story, and it's strange that the story presented in the product line and the story in the show don't match up, but honestly, stop getting so hung up on it. In my mind, the show's story is rather thin and the characters weak, whereas 'animal tribes at war' seems like a cool concept and very open to a child's imagination. The beauty of LEGO's original property themes is that they aren't supposed to be about playing out X scenario from X external IP. Instead, they provide creative new sets and settings for kids to play around in. I've never found theme stories to particularly be LEGO's strong suit (the Ninja theme's story barely made sense once new factions were added), but themes stand on their own by the merit of their sets and overall look.

Now I'll just add my two cents about Chima in general. I really like the idea behind this theme; a land of animal tribes at war. The idea that each tribe has vehicles and architecture that reflect its animal is also super-cool and a new thing for LEGO to do (though they started in Ninjago with skull and snake vehicles). However, in execution I can't say I've been wowed with the sets so far, and I especially haven't been wowed by the minifigures. Besides for a few exceptions, the animals all look pretty ugly to me, and generally I don't like ugly figs. The head sculpts are a bit too exaggerated to my taste. I didn't like Ninjago's stuff much either until the latest wave, so I expect that as Chima continues there will be some must-have sets for me.

There probably is no mention because that was entirely the company who made the show (I forget the name, but I know it is different than Ninjago). They are probably the ones coming up with most of the story, except for basic things like affiliation, basic backstory, and personality. It would be rather ridiculous, in my opinion, for LEGO to remodel their sets and boxart which has already been finished based on what someone the hired to tell and expand their story has decided on.

And I think we get that Crooler, not Cragger, is the real bad guy. :sceptic: I don't see why every post has to go back to that.

The so-called "basic" things such as affiliation and personality in the toy theme's story (i.e., the sets, speedorz, books and other mechandise) also do not match up very well there, at times, with the TV show's story, of the Legends of Chima theme. For example, Crominus is not neccessary a villain [i don't think (and hope not) that he is (or will be) a villain] in the TV show, yet he is protrayed as a villain in the LEGO Legends of Chima toys and other merchandise, and don't you get me stated on Cragger's protrayal in the show versus the toys and other merchandise! :wink: Also, I know that we all here know that Crooler is the main bad character, not Cragger, but it appears that the LEGO company does not acknowledge the fact that Crooler is the main bad character, not Cragger, as it mentions nowhere, other than in the TV show, that she hipnotised him to be her slave, even though he is the (current) King of the Crocodile tribe, so why is it like this??? :wacko::look:

Good Cragger Fan, I should point out to you that the sets, in their artwork and the descriptions, do not point towards any tribes being 'better' than any others. Yes, certain tribes have looks about them can generally be construed as more menacing and a typical depiction of 'evil,' and some tribes are put with red while others with blue, but look just a little bit beyond that. In the Command Ship, the artwork and description say that the Lions are stealing the Crocs' Chi. In the Pack Tracker, the wolves are being attacked. The sets just give us a place with many tribes at war, that's it. It's LEGO, so make up your own story if you don't like the one in the show.

You can legitimately claim to not like the show's story, and it's strange that the story presented in the product line and the story in the show don't match up, but honestly, stop getting so hung up on it. In my mind, the show's story is rather thin and the characters weak, whereas 'animal tribes at war' seems like a cool concept and very open to a child's imagination. The beauty of LEGO's original property themes is that they aren't supposed to be about playing out X scenario from X external IP. Instead, they provide creative new sets and settings for kids to play around in. I've never found theme stories to particularly be LEGO's strong suit (the Ninja theme's story barely made sense once new factions were added), but themes stand on their own by the merit of their sets and overall look.

Now I'll just add my two cents about Chima in general. I really like the idea behind this theme; a land of animal tribes at war. The idea that each tribe has vehicles and architecture that reflect its animal is also super-cool and a new thing for LEGO to do (though they started in Ninjago with skull and snake vehicles). However, in execution I can't say I've been wowed with the sets so far, and I especially haven't been wowed by the minifigures. Besides for a few exceptions, the animals all look pretty ugly to me, and generally I don't like ugly figs. The head sculpts are a bit too exaggerated to my taste. I didn't like Ninjago's stuff much either until the latest wave, so I expect that as Chima continues there will be some must-have sets for me.

For me to be clear here, I like the story IN THE TV SHOW a lot more than the story IN THE PRODUCT LINE. I do not like the story very much IN THE PRODUCT LINE -- since, as of right now, there is only a one-dimentional character protrayal of Crominus and Cragger IN THE PRODUCT LINE, whereas, IN THE TV SHOW, there is a lot more depth to the characters of Crominus and, especially, Cragger. :wink: (I'm really sorry for the excessive use of bolding, italicising, underlining and the use of all captial letters (in a few phrases) here, but I just had to bring my point across loud and clear here.) :classic:

The speedorz- A lot better than spinners as you can use them not only for a game. They are just cool acient motorcycles!

The figs- I would say glorious. But I will not. As much on artworks all figs look amazing in real they look very weird. It seems like they are overdesigned and they are too much deformed. The snouts are too long, the Lions look too anime like... I much more preffered the prototypes for all figures:

PrelimChimaCrocs.png

They were less stylised and IMO they look a lot better. And just look at that weapons! :wub:

What I DO like is the head + helmet combo. Sadly all helmet-heads I have moove very loose and when I am playing with them I always have to fix them...

The show: I have only wached the 2 first episodes, and I will not watch anymore. It was bland and I was mad that main characters are like they have 10. I don't mind the sillines in Lego. I love Lego humor, but here they try to be too edgy. The other grip I have with the series is there is no enough Lego in it. There is only minifigs there!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I'm not very impressed with this theme.

Minifigures- They just look... strange. I purchased one of the smaller sets in the line and I don't like the minifigures. The heads are far too big and detailed.

Vehicles- This is the best part of the theme. TLC did a brilliant job of making each vehicle go with a certain tribe and the Eagle vehicles are the highlights of the theme.

Speedorz- I haven't tried them so I don't know.

Show- I saw one episode and I didn't like it. I am a massive fan of Lego humor (Lego City Undercover has to be the best example of this), but this shows humor fell flat for me. I prefered the Ninjago show since the main characters were more like able and the show didn't feel like one massive advert.

Anyway, I hope the theme does well because there has clearly a lot put into this theme :blush: