Kumbbl

8880 MOD:2-mode 4WS and adjustable sliding seats

Hi,

a week ago i have MODed the 8880 with a 2-mode 4W-steering for high and slow speed with different switchable directions of the rear steering - here are the details and pictures: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=79125

Now i have found a very well fitting and working solution for applying sliding seats to the 8880 - a feature current supercars miss but IMHO a full-featured supercar needs adjustable seats. Applying this to the 8880 has caused my quite a headache because there is really very few space "indoor" the 8880...

well, here we go:

The construction is simple and sturdy and is based on a worm-gear and 24th gear, whereas the latter one moves the former one... the follwing two pictures show the function:

sliding-drive-lever-1.jpg

in this modified passanger compartment a new seat-understructure will be installed, which then can be moved by the 24th gear (moved by the black lever):

seat-understructure.jpg

Here you get the results with installed seats (here in back position):

driverseat-backpos.jpg

And here some more pics (you see the 8880-seats can be used without any modification):

Front position:

driverseat-frontpos.jpg

Full indoor pictures:

slided-seats-1.jpg

slided-seats-2.jpg

Well, before some building-instruction pics a short summary:

Now the 8880 has not only a 2-mode 4WS with direct chainfree engine drive but also slideable seats by a lever - so the feature list of this outstanding technic-set is quite complete (my MODs in bold):

- 4WD

- 4W wishbone suspension

- 4WS with 2 different modes with switchable direction of rear steering (NEW)

- adjustable and slideable seats by lever (NEW)

- synchronized 4-speed gearbox

- V8 engine

- HOG

- indoor working steering wheel

- boot which can be opened

- swifeling headlights

I can imagine only one more functional feature-MOD: switchable 4WD and RWD - apart from that only the bodywork could be more elaborated with openable doors and bonnet....

Here some pics how to build the sliding seats:

small-stepp-4-mod.jpg

small-stepp-11-mod.jpg

small-stepp-15-mod.jpg

small-stepp-17-mod.jpg

chassis-preparation-1.jpg

Here you see one of the most important modifications: replacing the brick 1x6 with holes by a brick 1x4 with holes (s.a.-step 4 in the building instructions of the 8880)

chassis-preparation-2.jpg

Here you see the final prepared basement:

chassis-preparation-3.jpg

Enjoy!

Great explanation but unfortunately we are in the liftarm time... I have it and, as you can see in my pic, I am now using those precious wheels, why donĀ“t you build the 8880 liftarm edition?.

Great explanation but unfortunately we are in the liftarm time... I have it and, as you can see in my pic, I am now using those precious wheels, why donĀ“t you build the 8880 liftarm edition?.

good idea - but building an icon like the 8880 with studdless liftarms would be quite a sacrilege - at least IMHO... :wink:

and building just the 178th studdless supercar is somehow unmagical - at least for me - studdless supercars are designed to end - as the magnificent models of crownkillers, juergen, sheepo and some other great designers proof - more or less all of them have more or less the same features (apart from such oustanding features like working brakes or a working pedal driven clutch or throttle - but these features are quite seldom) and many of them follow the more or less same basic supercar-design-principles - the great difference is the bodywork, which is often astonishing, i have to admit...

So for me it is more thrilling (and i admit less time consuming than building a MOC from scratch) trying to improve already great models/sets even a little bit more... and for this i make no difference between old studded and younger studdless models...

Edited by Kumbbl

Modify a set is always exciting and fun in fact I motorize the 599 with two XL motors and the enzo with one and the second time with two XL motors too, put all that without changing the outside is a challenge... unfortunately I ran out of Lego nice cars to modify :angry: but now I do them I :laugh: .

Nice mod! Maybe Conchas can fit inside the 8880 now.... :sweet:

Sadly, he is still not going to fit.

All that paella he eats makes him rather fat..... :tongue:

Can't wait to try this, it looks great. Not going to see my lego for at least a week tho'. How will I survive?

@ Chilly: You should bring some Lego in your suitcase (wherever you're going)! :tongue: