So, I'm working on a bigger(2.5x to be exact) version of this old thing;

6227563275_ccf6253d5f_n.jpg

And I'm making some good progress;

8443336886_9003587ff4_n.jpg

I've even started working on fleshing out the shell a bit as well, but I have 1 fairly major roadblock, the Torso.

Specifically, I want to have the torso rotate left/right and for the arms to rotate Up/Down via PF.

I figure I'll need to use a turntable, as I think I'll have to send an axle up the center to control the arms, I don't think I'll have space in the torso.

But, to be honest I'm not very well versed with that level of Technic techniques. Any tips for the basic turntable setup or even just any sets that might act as a good starting point would be a great help. Here's a pic of the basic area I have to work with, the red axle represents the rotation point.

RTXLLDDWIP03_zps1f48a516.jpg

Mike

If I where you I would use the Technic Turntable:

http://www.bricklink....asp?P=48452cx1

Maybe you should reinforce it a little but, but it enables you to use the center axle.

Furthermore, I would use a more studless base for your tank. It's easier to make your model stronger.

You can take a look at the 8043 or 8275 to see how a tracked vehicle can be made.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=8043-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=8275-1

Instructions are available.

Edited by Gekke Ted

Actually, by using technic bricks and properly placed brackets, you can get a much stronger base than with studless. I would use the old turntable as it's easier to integrate in your current build. Also, use plates with holes if needed.

I will not start a discussion about the strength of studless vs studful(l) :laugh::wink:

However, you are right about integrating the old turntable in the current design. That's probably the best thing to do :thumbup:

I would use a turntable for all 3 constructions, and definitely a stud full turntable for the base. Depending on how the inside of the turret it constructed, I would use a studless or studfull turret, which ever one I would find easier to incorporate.

@ OrangeKNight: Have you seen the pictures that Sariel posts about his Lego Technic tanks? There are some details you could utilize in your model. Be sure to look at the "Older Entries" on that webpage, since he must have built at least 13 tanks over the years. :classic:

Okay, how many functions do you need the torso to have? If you need two, I may be able to come up with something for you.

Edit: and now I do:

studfullturntable.jpg

As a short explanation, the axle with the yellow bush rotates the turntable, the one with the blue bush controls 1function, and the one with the green bush controls the other. I'm going to leave how to mount and motorize this up to you. Also, if you need more views, or want to import it into your LDD model, just click here.

Edited by Saberwing40k

The model has a large body, you could use more turntables on top of each other to transmit the rotations.

Edited by Lipko

Furthermore, I would use a more studless base for your tank. It's easier to make your model stronger.

I dunno, this one is already very strong, considering what I put the weaker prototype throught and it came out just fine, besides, Studs make for a much easier time building the Shell!

You can take a look at the 8043 or 8275 to see how a tracked vehicle can be made.

I'm very happy with how the tracks are atm, none of the Tracked sets have any serious suspension like I have, I did a lot of testing to figure ou the right proportions for this project. ;p

I would use a turntable for all 3 constructions, and definitely a stud full turntable for the base. Depending on how the inside of the turret it constructed, I would use a studless or studfull turret, which ever one I would find easier to incorporate.

I doubt U'll have room in the upper Torso for 2 more turntables, the arms would be linked, I don't really need them to rotate separately, I was just thinking of using a worm gear-to-axle type thing, that way they aren't rorating too fast.

I had forgotten about studded turntables, I only have the studless ones, so I'll prolly use that, it will be easier to integrate for sure.

@ OrangeKNight: Have you seen the pictures that Sariel posts about his Lego Technic tanks? There are some details you could utilize in your model. Be sure to look at the "Older Entries" on that webpage, since he must have built at least 13 tanks over the years.

I hadn't, frankly I wasn't even aware, I'm pretty out of touch with the technic side of things! xD I'll have to take a look at those.

Okay, how many functions do you need the torso to have? If you need two, I may be able to come up with something for you.

Pic went here

As a short explanation, the axle with the yellow bush rotates the turntable, the one with the blue bush controls 1function, and the one with the green bush controls the other. I'm going to leave how to mount and motorize this up to you. Also, if you need more views, or want to import it into your LDD model, just click here.

Oh that's fantastic, I'm definetly gonna be pulling that apart to see how it works, I hadn't needed 3 functions......but now I'm thinking if there's anything else I can motorize!(prolly not thought xD)

I prolly won't get a chance to rally mess around with it until mid-weekend, but it's certainly a good starting point, thanks for that!

Mike

Edited by OrangeKNight

@ OrangeKNight: The proper terminology is "turret", not "torso"

I dunno, sure looks like a torso to me;

6228080916_49f207d027.jpg

Why do you think I put quotations around "tank" in the thread title? ;p

Mike

Edited by OrangeKNight

Alright, worked on the turntable a bit, I really like that "gearbox", never knew about that part.

turntable1_zpsb1e80ae7.jpgturntable2_zpse41075f2.jpg

I won't be able to test it quite yet, need the turntable and gearboxes first, but I figure I'll inset the turntable down low, and build up the core of the torso from the 'inside' of the turntable's 'prongs'.

Mike

Edited by OrangeKNight