grader-lil.jpg

This set was originally commissioned by my father-in-law. His father used to drive a grader in his former years, and it was kind of a tribute to him and myself, as well, to get started building. I designed it about three years ago on LDD, and made all the current modifications while tinkering with excess yellow parts.

The particular one you see is Version 3.2, as I've made several changes:

- the central beam is more structural and it doesn't fold

- lateral articulation points behind the blade are stronger and have a greater range of movement

- the carriage holding the blade and turntable have been lowered to give a more disengaged feel.

grader_4.jpg

The whole body would fit under the 6-Wide category for the most part, although the front beam is 2-Wide and the engine compartment is 4-Wide. The entire Grader is 28 studs long (and true to form) the blade is almost half that length, at 12 studs wide. As a realistic detail, the turntable is positioned in such a way that the blade can be up, and turned to stay within the wheel-base, 9 studs wide.

grader_articulation1_a.jpg

Feel free to check out the rest!

Very nice work here LEGO Ink! Very detailed and very good scale size. I've wanted to build one of these for a long time myself. Does the grader raise and lower, or is it in a fix position? :classic:

This is even better than the fire truck 'LEGO Ink'.....excellent piece of MOCing there - perfect scaling too ! :grin:

Brick On 'LEGO Ink' ! :classic:

The shaping is very nice indeed. I like what you are doing with the black parts here to get more plasticity and make it look like a real machine. Great job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very good work indeed, I like how it appears to be perfect size compared to minifigures. I have never seen a grader completed in lego form because I assumed it was too tricky and the shape hard to accurately convey. But this is great and to me perfect!

Thanks for all the feedback!

LEGO Guy Bri, the blade does rotate as well as tilt. There's a combined screen shot here. When at the vertical position there's only a 1 plate difference between the two settings, which is still enough clearance for regular travel. If you wanted more, it can be tilted forward even further and positioned a little flatter to make it over larger objects.

Like everyone else has said,"Awesome design!" It would fit in perfectly with all the other LEGO construction sets!

Great work in adding articulation in the rear axles, very realistic!