Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

Model Team: Shell Road Tanker

It has been a very warm January this year. There was only a single day with snow in my area. I grabbed my camera and tossed the latest creation out in the snow. It is the Road Tanker that has received a major update since the 2005 version. There was a review with constructive criticism by Phillip Thorne, which has been taken into consideration when the new version was made.

rtit9.jpg

It is actually only the front, some few details and the overall shape that has stayed unchanged. I wanted a new way of making the window arrangement. This is the first time I have used three small windows. Combined with the shortened bonnet, this allows for a longer and wider cab with doors that open sideways instead of the usual upwards Delorean style.

11front.jpg_thumb.jpg 1open.jpg_thumb.jpg 1rightrear.jpg_thumb.jpg

The frame of the last version provided little support. The use of sideways Technic beams has made the frame so rigid that it doesn't need additional support from the container like the old green one provided. The loading system is the same as the one for the mobile crane and Police HQ

2emptyrear.jpg_thumb.jpg 3oldtank.jpg_thumb.jpg 3police.jpg_thumb.jpg

The additional room did wonders for the interior and the engine has been given a more neutral color scheme instead of the screaming yellow

3interior.jpg_thumb.jpg 3engine.jpg_thumb.jpg 3engineside.jpg_thumb.jpg

The old green tank was already "round", but I wanted to make it better by using half-stud steps or other techniques. I ended up with this design because of my limited supply of yellow tiles and I actually like it better than the optimal studless design. The big challenge was the 9 studs wide Shell logo which had to fit into the rounded shape. I have mostly used the 5:2 technique, but in order to make the 3 studs wide section in the middle, 1x2-1x4 brackets are added to the line in the middle. You can try to recreate the logo - I thought it was a fun challenge with the chaos on the backside that was needed to make everything stable

1sidelow.jpg_thumb.jpg 1top.jpg_thumb.jpg 3logozoom.jpg_thumb.jpg

The inspiration came from this little M

Very fine! *y*

This idea with those three windows is great, they provide some extra functionality and a very distinct shape.

The frame is for sure a strong and neat construction and the engine looks really better in grey and black I think.

The logo is smart and I assume it was a pretty hard work to make it look so good. Maybe the lack of snow

was not the biggest problem to overcome.... X-D

Thanks Asuka.

It is quite strange that I have never seen this solution for the windows been done before. It surely is a distinct shape as you say, but it doesn't look equally well from all angles. It appears very industrial from the front while the off-angle shots make it flow more with the design of the front.

I have taken some additional images.

The engine isn't seen very well because of the way the hood opens up, so I took it off the hinges to get a better view.

3engine1.jpg_thumb.jpg

And this is what the logos looks like from the other side

3tankopen1.jpg_thumb.jpg

It is made up of many small parts

3tankopen2.jpg_thumb.jpg

(As always - click the images to see them in full size)

Wow, that is very detailed and impressive. My favourite part is the tank, and the lettering system looks really excellent. The same goes with the engine, And the gear system inside. Overall, fabulous MOC, I hope you make stuff like this in the future!

Wow, I love all those details! I agree with Asuka, great job on the windows - very creative of you. Excellent use of the SNOT techniques on the logo. I also like the fact that the doors open to reveal the cleverly done interior, I wonder if a Technic fig would fit inside. All in all, really cool MOC!

A Technique figure doesn't fit inside and minifigs are about 33% too small, but I use them in some of the Model Team creations. I think the best fitting figures are the old maxifigs, but even they are too big and don't really fit in because of their strange construction.

I will make more trucks in this scale in the future. I just need the time - The police station took two years from the first prototypes to the final model because I could only build when not studying :'-(

I'm glad you like it. If you want to see it in person, you are welcome to come to the Danish version of Brickfest, Klodsfest, in April - I have been asked to bring it along. I'm sorry I can't go to the European event this year.