xwingyoda

Hovercraft Pic Review (7944)

But yes, where are you EB hovercraft expert?? We need you!

Yes, does somebody ask me?

Oops, no... :-P

Wow, thanks for the review and commentary. I too enjoy a good discussion.

I'm glad I saw this review as I was contemplating picking this up for my daughter as she loves the city line (which I seem to have more and more around the house now.)

I am very disappointed to see the hull is all one piece, that is pretty much a deal killer for me. My daughter really loves to build stuff and take it apart many times. She does not like the big pieces, but was fascinated with the idea of having a 'hovercraft.' Looks like we'll be passing on this one.

I had no intention of buying this set, but since I got it for my birthday, I have a few comments.

The design may be crappy seen with AFOL eyes, but IMO it's probably not seen like that through the eyes of the intended buyers (kids). It's huge and has several cool playable effects.

1. The side guns

2. The opening cockpit/bridge

3. The compartment for tools and loudhailers (SW blasters, just in case Jar Jar comes by)

4. The rear engines

5. All directions movement (though not working perfectly, I agree)

6. Front gun

7. Air intakes that turn when the craft changes direction.

I think this set is highly appreciated by kids wanting to bring some havoc to their LEGO town. - Imagine a hovercraft smashing through the city to fight fires a.k.a the scenes in 007....

Also with some modifications of colour and armament this could become a serious crime fighting vessel *y*

Kids evaluation 7.5/10

AFOl evaluation 5/10 - there are some useful bricks in this set and like Exo-Champ said... The base can be used for a cool Exo Hover Tank MOC-thingy *wub* And hey! it might even come in handy when modding the great new space theme into something even better ;-)

KimT

I somehow missed that the engines were those viking wheels in red... odd.

Thanks for the review and God Bless,

Nathan

Never be sorry for reviving such a great topic :-D

Then its a start of explenation hehe !! So no hovercraft expert among us ??

Last time I went to either TRU or the Lego Shop, that set was really missing looool is tht a sign that no one wants it ??

*yoda*

I'm not an expert. I've got my knowledge from standing on Portsmouth seafront and watching how the Isle of Wight passenger hovercraft manouvres, but it's taught me a thing or two! Those are not air intakes but air BLOWERS.

Because a hovercraft floats on a cushion of air it can travel in any direction you push it, like an air-hockey puck! The blowers can swivel to face any direction and then push air out so that the hovercraft can move sideways or even backwards (obviously they would power down or reverse the main engines at the back when they are doing this)! That's why ALL the wheels on this model swivel and why the blowers point away from the direction the craft is going in. A hovercraft can drift off in any direction, that's the beauty of them! Some people might not like it, but moving like a shopping cart is realistic. :-)

That's also why the blowers on the pictures of the Canadian Coastguard hovercraft are pointing different ways. At top speed the blowers point backwards to give an extra push, whereas in the other picture they are positioned ready to push the craft back off the beach. Some hovercraft designs have different ways of achieving the same thing. The big cross-channel hovercraft had it's propellors on top of huge pylons which could turn to face different directions.

I applaud Lego for this realistic attention to detail, but I have to say that they could have done a much better job on how the craft looks and those water cannons would just never work. They would blow it all over the place!

Hope this helps!

I personally think it looks fine, it doesn't look too large and the details seem ok. Although I must agree about the huge black base curtain piece, it's a bit...rubbish...

There used to be a blue and white Technik hovercraft back in the day which had curtains which could be made just about any way you want. Why did LEGO abandon those pieces? :-(

I actually really like the set. However, I would probably reverse it and move evrything at the back to the front and vice versa.

Then it wouldn't be crappy.

It doe s look pretty sweet though. But I did get Hovercraft Hideout which I will say was much better. My brother bought Coast Watch HQ and we had cool battles. Lol.