Extreme cruiser S / GT spec

My another modification of one of my favourites technic sets 8081, which I do recommend to every technic car-building beginner;)

Real 4WD i have already made. You can watch it here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73762&hl=8081

Now it is time for make it low! Get low!

Lets begin with S spec version

EXTREME CRUISER S (sport)

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79341.jpg

This is a street-legal version with RWD and civil tires 62.2x20.

In comparison with original 8081 set it differs by:

• modified and lowered front independent suspension
  • rear suspension live axle type, like on the 9398 crawler with torque tube and two stabilizing links. Live axle is normal for ford mustang, so it is not so wild, like it can seems. I think this type of suspension is most optimal and compact. Thanks for torque tube, TLG.
  • shock absorbers was substituted to yellow hard version (from 8070). Front receives two independent absorbers instead of one soft.
  • sport exhaust pipe with doubled mufflers
  • sport aerodynamic bumpers with air intake holes. Side skirts also appeared.
  • new front grill with. Number plate is disappeared. Such cars usually can be seen from the back;)
  • spoiler on the third door
  • street-legal tyres 62,2х20

Ground clearance is normal for city using.

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79342.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79343.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79344.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79345.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79346.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79347.jpg

Ok, say "goodbuy" to this piece of .... It was developed for grandmas:))))

Moving to next version "GT spec".

EXTREME CRUISER GT (gran turismo)

As you can understand this version is more angrier than S, for real muchos, that know what GT means:)

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79348.jpg

This model is mainly for track days, but of course, you can go for pancakes on it.

it differs from S spec by next things:

• suspension is lowered 1 stid, at the same time its amplitude was decreased. It is really hard, my camera feel sick after driving on it. It can be more harder if you replace shock absorbers by 6L liftarms.
  • widered wheel arches and side skirts (Wide-body), red line on bumpers;
  • sport low profile tyres with wide wheels;
  • larger spoiler for speeds 250+!

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79349.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79350.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79351.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79352.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79353.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79355.jpg

GT still can be used as everyday car, cause drivers seat is here. No, you cant place your mama at passenger seat. Car also includes dashboard with turbine pressure indicator;) all doors are still openable.

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79356.jpg

Sorry for many photos, but i like it.

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79357.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79358.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79359.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79360.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79361.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79362.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79363.jpg

Ok lets move to serious things. Kids can go sleep, cause nothing interesting comes next.

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79364.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79369.jpg

Front suspension

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79366.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79367.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79370.jpg

Rear suspension:

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79365.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79371.jpg

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79368.jpg

And this GT is with suspension from S spec with increased clearance. For "perfect" russian roads;)

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79372.jpg

26002409_1203877549_russian_road_31a.jpg

Evolution of 8081

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79376.jpg

*-foto from Kostya Bazdirev's review. Best 8081 review in my mind

ОБЗОР

extreme-cruiser-s-gt_79340.jpg

Do you think it will stand on shelve? No way. Buggy motor is waiting to burn some rubber. IR v2 receiver, LiPo battery help them at this fun deal. Of course, servo will help us to prevent car wall crash at first 2 seconds of play;)

Ok, those who no sleeping yet, my family video:

Forget to say: no drift today. But second Buggy motor is waiting.

dont forget about 4wd http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73762&hl=8081

There is nothing new in this model, but it is fun and fast. I was bored reading 25 pages about coming sets. So relax:) and feel free to comment

Edited by rm8

@ rm8: Nice mods to the Lego Technic 8081 Extreme Cruiser set! Now it really is "extreme" with your lowered GT! :thumbup: Do you think that someone could rebuild the stock 8081 to match your modifications, by looking at your pictures alone?

@ rm8: Nice mods to the Lego Technic 8081 Extreme Cruiser set! Now it really is "extreme" with your lowered GT! :thumbup: Do you think that someone could rebuild the stock 8081 to match your modifications, by looking at your pictures alone?

If it needed, I can make photo instruction.

Yes, a "photo-sequence" building instruction of your mods would be nice, but if you don't have time right now (since you are working with The Lego Group on "The Boss" set), I understand! :classic:

Wow looks great and goes like stink. It will definitely drift with two 5292 motors.

The drive train and overall chasis looks like something I have been working on. It seems that sometimes there are only so many good solutions to the same challenge.

20130130063754265.jpg

v/r

Andy

Yes, a "photo-sequence" building instruction of your mods would be nice, but if you don't have time right now (since you are working with The Lego Group on "The Boss" set), I understand!

Yes, please make instructions. :drool:

Today I added second Buggy motor to my Extreme cruiser GT, second V 2 receiver and second LiPo. I also used faster output of motor instead of slower (as in S and GT with one motor). Speed increased more than 1,5 times:))) good grip but no drift because of diff.

Next I disassembled diff and make 20:20 gear at axle. It did not drifted again, but speed decreased while steering. Tire grip is very good - thats bad. Next I tried 12:20 gear at axle. Torque and acceleration increased, but that was not enough to drift rear wheels while steering.

I also think that servo is too slow to destabilize the car while steering fast (power steering). Sad:(

Tomorrow i will try to make wheels dirty - they will lose some grip. And if it will not work try last method - use adhesive tape on rear wheels (scotch)

2013-02-06-458.jpg

2013-02-06-459.jpg

2013-02-06-460.jpg

Edited by rm8

You might want to shift more of the weight forward in order to make the rear wheels loose traction

Also, your rear suspension setup causes the rear tires to "plant" as the vehicle accelerates. This is good for traction, but not so good for drifting.

@ rm8: To make the car "drift" easily with slippery wheels, you could get some of the solid-plastic Lego 44777 "Wheel 68.8 x 36 ZR Solid Smooth":

44777.jpg

Nice moc rm8! Realized the extreme cruiser resembles a suzuki swift Gti in terms of shape.

Well, I guess I don't need those instructions now...

I had never used an RC motor before. I'm very impressed. This thing flies! (on the slower output, even) I only have the big AA battery box and its in the back, so the truck does wheelies! Thanks for the build rm8.

Edited by Kronos

Well, I guess I don't need those instructions now...

I had never used an RC motor before. I'm very impressed. This thing flies! (on the slower output, even) I only have the big AA battery box and its in the back, so the truck does wheelies! Thanks for the build rm8.

Good job, Kronos!

My"inside" and "bottom" photos showed suspension of S version. I'll make some photos of GT suspensio - it is a bit lower that S on my photos. Glad that you like it:)

Thanks!

I thought the suspension was your "S" version. It works great for me though. I have a lot of carpet and "obstacles" to drive on. I am interested in the "GT" suspension too.

I'll take more pics tomorrow. My front suspension is a little different than yours, and the front is too.

Thanks again.