I built this as a tribute to how much my building skills have grown since I joined and I have only been here a month or so! Thank you all for the comments to my builds and putting up with me. Also, I think I get the title of King of Castle with this moc. :grin:

Fortane Fortress was built to protect the people of Arkaine. It is the home of Lord Brickington and the White Riders. Lord Brickington was arriving back from his long journey and everyone wanted to greet him.

8441637673_1c788b18ce_b.jpg

Bird's Eye View:

8442740352_292bd68261_b.jpg

The Entrance:

8442743086_653c528262_b.jpg

A White Rider of Arkaine:

8441655657_eb43377423_b.jpg

Courtyard:

8442748682_0bc17d6f41_b.jpg

Wooden Tower:

8442762450_50d82cb2f8_b.jpg

Side:

8442766390_79bf202608_b.jpg

Side:

8442772624_9b4268e1b2_b.jpg

Neat Looking View:

8441687341_2efbc34694_b.jpg

Without Minifigs:

8442781528_8bca926557_b.jpg

Thanks for viewing. I think my skills have improved tremendously since joining GoH. The goal is to become a powerhouse mocer like Ecc and dG. C & C would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Brickington

You don't have to hurry up a proces that takes a certain amount of time :classic:

I mean, I am already here for 1 year, and I am still nowhere near the level of Ecc and dG :classic:

But I have to admit, I was the same like you one year ago, so nothing wrong with that :laugh: There is only one build from that period I still am very proud about (my palace), but that is because I made first a desing in LDD and posted that on the forum. Based on the critics, I completely redesigned the whole building :classic: Of course there are some things I want to change now :tongue:

You have already improved a lot, that's certainly true :thumbup: :thumbup:

What I like the most is that it has a classic castle feeling :classic:

A remark I have:

- The battlements are kinda tiny, it is much better for the defenders if they were higher (so 2 studs + 2 studs (4 studs in total))

A question I have:

do you have the bricks to make it bigger?

A question I have:

do you have the bricks to make it bigger?

Judging that I just brought a new Helms Deep set, yes I do. :wink:

Judging that I just brought a new Helms Deep set, yes I do. :wink:

Then I am looking forward to the incorporation of that set in this fortress :laugh:

Then I am looking forward to the incorporation of that set in this fortress :laugh:

I think I need a little more advice before I go and tear down my second Helms Deep set. :blush:

As I said, I still am not an expert in this (especially not in those puny grey boring looking Avalonian castles covered with moss and stuff) :laugh:

but, I would do it like this:

- higher battlements

- no windows on the outside of the castle (only exception is when it is located at least 3 levels high). Instead of windows, I would go for shooting holes (there are lot of nice technics for this)

- some more rooms for the soldiers and for your sigfig himself. They don't need an interior, but it would be cool if they have one :tongue:

- I like how you made those wooden battlements, but same remark as for their nephews in stone: make them higher :classic:

- Above the gate, put some battlements as it the gate itself is the weakest spot of a castle/fortress

- I also would like to make the tower bigger and taller :classic:

- a very beautifull and nice way to make your battlements come out is with those inverted slopes (like you have done on a few places), but with the slopes connected with eachother through arches. For a nice illustration, you have to check the last MOC of Ecc and look to the walls http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79153

There are maybe some other things I can't think about right now, so I hope some other members will also help :laugh:

No promises that I am going to change the stuff, but I might. I was thinking of doing my first watchtower instead of redoing this, but who knows what crazy me is going to do. :grin:

I agree with what DM (haha I didn't type dG :laugh: ) said, for being a castle this is pretty small and seeing as you have 2 helms deeps

you have plenty of bricks to enlarge it. Also second the motion for higher battlements. Also try experimenting with some hinge bricks and try to incorporate some angles.

Another suggestion is to put dirt or stone colored bricks inside instead of just the green baseplate.

Not a bad start though, I like the flag you made with a 1x2 tile in sand green and a white clip :thumbup:

Getting to be a MOCer like Ecc or dG does not happen overnight :classic:

Thanks everybody for your comments! I think I am going to do some other free-builds and when I have a whole day, I'll rebuild a castle on a 48x48. :wink:

I can definitely see an improvement of your skills.

the little things that show you are improving are the attention to the landscape, the wooden details breaking up the BGW (Big Grey Wall) syndrome by using some sand green and the "brick brick"

When you start on your larger build, do a quick google search on "medieval castles" or "parts of a medieval castle" it will give you some good ideas for details on the walls or parts of the castle. I often start with a small detail and let my bigger builds develop around it. For example, my Celyna the Seamstress build started with the spinning wheel.

You seem to be able to get some good angles and detail with your camera. You also have done a good job eliminating the back ground with a white back drop. Try to find somewhere with a bit more light and it will get you a more crisp photo with better contrast. I often shoot my builds outside in the shadow of my house if the weather permits.

Nice work! I agree with others that you could make the battlements higher, but they actually are pretty high already, one thing that would help is if you didn't zoom in so much on your pictures but left a nice white space around the MOC. I guess you'd probably be running off the sheat of paper but it shouldn't be too hard to fix that. :wink: So far though, you've got some nice texture, though what you could do is just build the front wall and imply that this is just a section of your castle. Like Mikey B commented you're showing more attention to the landscaping :thumbup: but I still would suggest you make the inside floor of your castle something other than green (yes, real castles had a courtyard, but they were usually a bit bigger... :wink: ). Anyway, you've definitely improved, keep it up!

OK lets see

the battlements should be higher, I agree, I think making the towers a bit bulkier maybe 10 or 12 studs instead of 6? would make the fortress look a tad more like it is a strong defensive building. the windows should only be high up. maybe thicken the battlements? I know i didn't seriously get into this for about 3 months of being in GOH but you have atleast 85 brick bricks, use them! add textures, explore different things that take away the boring DGWS, just don't abuse them! it will improve alot. moss is ok up top, but looks better if there is more at the bottom than at the top. also add elevation to the base, and not just plunk a few large plates, but place 1x2s and 1x1s, and other things to better the landscaping. I'm now out of suggestions, looking forward to how this evolves! and MOCing like ecc or DG certainly doesn't happen overnight, i've been here about 15 months, havn't made it yet :tongue:

keep it up!

Edited by Legonardo

Maybe there was a storm! :tongue:

Your flag fell off :tongue: this would be great if it was made bigger. like the wooden tower.

I was hoping no one would notice. :blush::laugh: