hachiroku

Best 2012 Star Wars set

This year's wave was quite impressive. But I think for me it would TIE Fighter. For minifigs, it would be Jabba's Palace. Good they are re-releasing as I had missed out the older sets in my dark ages.

When judging the 'best' set, you have to rule out all biases and opinions- that means every set is judged on not only minifigs or design aesthetics, but price, playability, and other factors.

Some of the votes I'm seeing don't fit the bill. Jabba's palace has amazing figures and the set is spectacular in its own right, but nothing can justify that price. The Sith Fury is eye catching and well-designed, but only has 3 minifigs (not a lot for a set of that size) and is a little too compact and small- not to mention being a bit pricey as well.

After examining all the pros and cons of this year's sets, I'd say it's a close race between the Skiff and the TIE fighter. Each only has one truly notable flaw- the TIE fighter was just a hair overpriced ($49.99 would have been more respectable that 54.99) and the Skiff is still lacking some small design aspects like the railings and nose on the movie vehicle.

Just my two cents, but I'd like to see a poll- then we could really settle the score! :excited:

I think the best set since 2007 is probalbly the Battle Of Endor from 2008. It included much stuff for baddies (scout speeders, AT-ST), much stuff for goodies (catapult, ewok flyer) and much great minifigs from both sides, and of course the bunker where it was all about. If you just bought that set, you could almost play the entire endor part of RotJ. Too, the builds included where well designed, with lots of functions.

Edited by TWP

Absolutely Sets ucs 10225 and 10227!!!

But i have also set 9492...

Gungan Sub - great minifigs (Padame!)..

Padame! yeah!

Jabba's Palace.

- unbelievable minifigs

Yeah...jabba the hutt, bib fortuna, oola, gamorrean guard, salacious...wonderful design!!!

When judging the 'best' set, you have to rule out all biases and opinions- that means every set is judged on not only minifigs or design aesthetics, but price, playability, and other factors.

^^If not for this criteria, I couldn't even choose, as 2012 was a banner year for OT sets. I have lots of favs from last year - but if I had to choose, it would be the TIE Fighter at the $34.97 walmart price they had going for some weeks. It has since climbed back to $49.97, which puts the Skiff a close second, but either way, great design, great figs.

Edited by lowlead

^^If not for this criteria, I couldn't even choose, as 2012 was a banner year for OT sets. I have lots of favs from last year - but if I had to choose, it would be the TIE Fighter at the $34.97 walmart price they had going for some weeks. It has since climbed back to $49.97, which puts the Skiff a close second, but either way, great design, great figs.

yeah, if I judge by the price, playability and Minifigs... 9492 definitely!

I'd go with Jabba's Palace. It was a brilliant design... so screen accurate and so many little areas that allow for playing out scenes (you can send Leia up the staircase and over Jabba's tail to free Han from the carbonite!) that make it a winner. I do feel bad for the younger kids who can't afford it or their folks can't afford it. I'm quite relieved that these awesome kits weren't being released when I was a kid in the 80s... I would have only enjoyed looking at the boxes in Woolco's or wherever.

Having said that, Jabba's skiff is certainly more affordable and you get Boba and the sarlacc as well so that's probably my second choice... third choice would be the Gungan Sub, not for the Gungan army (though that is nice) but for the masterpiece minifig Queen Amidala. I've never seen a Star Wars minifig so perfectly executed and dare I say worth the wait? They could have chosen between 2-3 of her costumes from TPM but the first one from the beginning of the film was the right choice.

Edited by darththeling

10225 R2-D2 is my pick. It may be an unfair pick since it's UCS... Out of the 300+ sets I have(including all Modulars) the build for this was by far the most fun build I have done. It was so fun watching him take shape with every step. The finished model always brings a smile to my face when I look at him. :thumbup:

Edited by Legocrazy81

The desert skiff looks great and has great minifigs.

But the Tie fighter is a great size, solid build, and when you pick it up you can feel like you can destroy those pesky rebels !

Tie Fighter for the win

and an honorable mention for Lobot and his Twin Pod cloud Car