Sign in to follow this  
XimenaPaulina

3D Model: 41015 Dolphin Cruiser

Are you excited about this set?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about this set?

I normally don't get excited about new Friends sets but when the new pictures of the upcoming 41015 Dolphin Cruiser surfaced from the German Toy Fair it really piqued my interest so I tried to recreate it using LDD and rendered it using LDD2PovRay. Here is the result:

8440235781_06ed048d03_o.png

LDD Build by KielDaMan, rendered using LDD2PovRay with help from speed rendering technique from bbqqq.

Click on image to see it in all its high resolution glory (2068 x 1536 pixels) :classic:

General Remarks:

• Based on the limited views of the two reference images I used (below), I tried to replicate as much as possible the external design of the cruiser/yacht. Unfortunately there there is no interior in this digital model.
  • Due to parts limitation in LDD, the Friends mini-dolls were replaced by standard minifigures (approximating the look of the Friends characters). The pink slide part is also not available in LDD. Stickers are also absent.
  • The exact mini-doll count is still not certain up to this point, but for the fun of it I completed the five main Friends characters plus a couple more male figures to accompany the girls.
  • Interesting parts include the front Boat Hull Brick 16 x 10 x 3 and the middle Boat Hull Large Middle 8 x 16 x 2 1/3 with 5 Holes which will be available in white for the first time in this set.
  • There also seems to be a couple of new parts in this set:
    • 1) a new curved part (2 x 1 x 2/3) which can be seen at the front bottom corners of the pilot station above and the pillow part of the beach bed in front (replaced by cheese slope+1x1 tile combo in this model);
    • 2) a transparent 2 x 1 x 2 inverted slope which can be seen on both ends of the trans windows at the sides (replaced by two 1x1 trans bricks in this model, leaving a gap on the sloping part).

[*]I'm not sure if dolphins are included in the set, but for the fun of literally taking its Dolphin Cruiser name I added a couple of them in this model.

[*]Minor nitpick: The railings are so low that it defeats its safety purpose (but hey this is just LEGO so... :grin:).

Overall, this set looks really promising and I'll be eagerly anticipating the release of this set. I'm sure this will also be a nice 'base model' for modification into minfig-based yachts.

If you'd like to inspect more of the build, here is the LXF file:

8440344767_bd77ef4a4d_t.jpg

NOTE: Pls. give credit if used for modding, etc.

Reference Images:

8440236005_51171803db_o.jpg8440236173_cd0a5974e8_o.jpg

Photos courtesy of Facebook (left) and Karsten Grosser - NOZ.de (right) - taken from Heartlake Times blog.

Very cool rendering. I'm always amazed at how real these look. I'm not usually interested in Friends sets, but this looks perfect for the town setting with the mini figs instead of the minidolls. It could pass for a new Paradisa set.

Love the boat...!

Great job for the rendering...

Same for my friends set.. I love the sets and colors used.. But nt the minifigs dolls.. Always replace it with the stand lego minfigs.. Haha

Excellent re-con work digitally 'Kiel', it will be the best seller for Friend's this year by far.....gee, how many will be mod'ed for city use eh ? :wink:

Brick On with your Friend's 'Kiel' ! :grin:

Thanks for the comments guys! I agree this is what's great about the compatibility of the Friends sets with standard LEGO, the cruiser/yacht is readily and easily modifiable to suit the CITY theme or even simply swap the mini-dolls with standard minifigs to recreate good ol' Paradisa. :sweet:

---

With the new image that has surfaced it seems I totally missed a significant portion at the rear part, thought I'm glad I got majority of the external design correct based on the two initial images. :grin:

Also:

• 2) a transparent 2 x 1 x 2 inverted slope which can be seen on both ends of the trans windows at the sides (replaced by two 1x1 trans bricks in this model, leaving a gap on the sloping part).
  • I'm not sure if dolphins are included in the set, but for the fun of literally taking its Dolphin Cruiser name I added a couple of them in this model.

There seems to be no new transparent 2 x 1 x 2 inverted slope piece in the sides of the windows and there are indeed gaps on both ends. :sceptic: But good to know my hunch was right about the two dolphins! (and new molds too!)

Just to have an idea of the relative size of this cruiser, here is a comparison pic with other CITY boats:

8447819852_9fb78de6c6_o.png

LEGO Boats Render by Kiel.Da.Man (LXF Sources: 4642 - Tontus; 7207 - BrickWild; 7739 - AndyC) All images are clickable to hi-res versions (2732 x 1447).

It's quite surpsrising to see the Dolphin Cruiser larger than other CITY boats, especially those which we thought were already "big" for CITY standards (Coast Guard Ship, the Fire Boat). It's either the cruiser is too big or it's just about the right size and it's the other CITY boats that are undersized (I think it's the latter).

Just to have an idea of the relative size of this cruiser, here is a comparison pic with other CITY boats:

LEGO Boats Render by Kiel.Da.Man (LXF Sources: 4642 - Tontus; 7207 - BrickWild; 7739 - AndyC) All images are clickable to hi-res versions (2732 x 1447).

It's quite surpsrising to see the Dolphin Cruiser larger than other CITY boats, especially those which we thought were already "big" for CITY standards (Coast Guard Ship, the Fire Boat). It's either the cruiser is too big or it's just about the right size and it's the other CITY boats that are undersized (I think it's the latter).

Keep in mind, though, that there are those who complain to no end about oversized City boats, trucks, and airplanes... I think scaling up "official" LEGO City boats wouldn't be an acceptable option among many AFOLs even if it could be done affordably.

Just another clear reason WHY detailed living spaces tend to be absent from more "boy-oriented" sets... the more interior detail, the more space it takes to enclose it all.

Edited by Aanchir