Someone on Brickset heard some LEGO Store employees talking about a Ninjago Castle set coming out soon. Of course, take this as a grain of salt, but it is plausible as a D2C set. That would be an interesting move, and has been done once with an action theme before as the Haunted House. :wink:

... Must not get my hopes up... Must not get my hopes up...

I cannot wait for pictures now!

A castle? Darth tater said Ninjago was crazy this year, some of the most extreme stuff they've done. Oh well.

As a D2C set? Nope. :grin:

-Sci

Ninjas + Castles? Interesting. I wonder whose castle it is. Good or evil?

Well right now in the story the ninja don't really have anywhere to live, so I guess it is plausible. Can not wait for solid info.

A D2C is a Direct to Customer set, so it is not in regular stores, just LEGO Brand and the Shop@home website.

I've never really cared for Ninjago, but they have had some cool sets. It seems this next wave might be enough to reel me in.

Why do people think that LEGO Store employees know anything more than anyone else? Lego is incredibly secretive, but I'm sure they tell all the minimum wage people everything.

Why do people think that LEGO Store employees know anything more than anyone else? Lego is incredibly secretive, but I'm sure they tell all the minimum wage people everything.

They know upcoming sets ahead of time, like any retailer, because they have to choose what they supply in a store.

They know upcoming sets ahead of time, like any retailer, because they have to choose what they supply in a store.

As I understand it from my local store, LEGO Brand Retail is supplied with product directly by the company, as they are essentially LEGO S@H outlet shops (minus accessories etc. that appear only online). They do not order select items out of a retailer catalog like Toys R Us or Wal-Mart might.

As I understand it from my local store, LEGO Brand Retail is supplied with product directly by the company, as they are essentially LEGO S@H outlet shops (minus accessories etc. that appear only online). They do not order select items out of a retailer catalog like Toys R Us or Wal-Mart might.

True. But the product doesn't just how up. The store staff does have to know what is coming so they can order in quantities appropriate to their individual store and plan for shelf layout.

I personally like the Ninjago theme and I can't wait to find out what 2014 has for it. I wonder how Kai, Cole, and Jay or going to be included in this next wave since it seems to focus on robots...

Oh and... 100 posts! I'm now a Citizen!

I personally like the Ninjago theme and I can't wait to find out what 2014 has for it. I wonder how Kai, Cole, and Jay or going to be included in this next wave since it seems to focus on robots...

Oh and... 100 posts! I'm now a Citizen!

I think the safe bet is they will hit the Robots with some new shiny weapons.

d2c = direct to customer = internet only (lego shop).

And LEGO Brand retail stores.

If the employees are forced to sign an NDA upon their hiring, then that means they do at least get some minor advance notice & that LEGO doesn't want them blabbing about it. When I worked for Games Workshop, who are also a company well known for their insane secrecy and not advertising anything, we at the store employee level would still know about 3-4 weeks in advance what the next big release would be, and thus, we were held to account by a fancy little NDA in order to help boost sales through impulse buying.

I told a group of employees they were making the Simpsons next year and they were all surprised. :sceptic:

-Sci

The stores employees will typically know in advance of a products release. But honestly I think we tend to ferret out stuff before they hear about it. They may see some actual official technical details before we do, like piece count, price or price range, and most critically how big is the box, and what specials or promotions will go along with a release.

Edited by Faefrost

I chatted with the people with one LEGO store I went to (That they closed!) and they know of products shortly before their release, mainly to plan ahead. The ones at this store were AFOLs so they knew whatever they read online, but it was never anything close to "In August 8, 2014 we will be releasing Scooby Doo LEGOs, here are some pictures and piece counts. Don't tell anyone. Thanks! - LEGO Company"

Every job at every company with more than one store / a stock makes you sign 1,000 different things saying you can't sell or profit or discuss from company secrets. That's just a typical form they make you fill out.

I think the safe bet is they will hit the Robots with some new shiny weapons.

That's not surprising. :laugh:

I told a group of employees they were making the Simpsons next year and they were all surprised. :sceptic:

-Sci

This is the Ninjago 2014 thread FYI.