Sign in to follow this  
daisy

MOC: "The GreenHouse" Modular

This is my very first modular. And definitely the largest LEGO project I have ever built. I have a limited collection and only used what I have on hand, so it forced me to be creative and colorful. :wink:

8419198424_1a1e31d53c_z.jpg

Welcome to "The GreenHouse Florist Shop"

8419198544_52c59c43cd.jpg

The first floor has the florist shop, with flower cooler, plus a small work area. The shop is loosely based on my cousin's florist shop in Toronto.

8419198648_5bd2615768.jpg

The second floor is the main living area, including bathroom, kitchenette, and sofa.

8421990770_7e3a0ce11a.jpg

The top floor has the bedroom and a rooftop greenhouse.

8421990996_089bb2d17e.jpg

More pics and details on my flickr

Thanks for looking. I had such a blast building it, and my girls are now having a great time playing with it :classic:

This is a very good build for having limited pieces to work with. I like the use of the horns for germinating plants.

That colour combo really pops! There's some great stuff going on here daisy. You might have more space if you make the greenhouse attached to the greenhouse (with a larger single slope, rather than as a twin-slope)

BTW where was your cousin's Florist shop in Toronto? I spent two years living in the Beaches there and wondered if it was on Queen St.

Edited by eurotrash

That colour combo really pops! There's some great stuff going on here daisy.

BTW where was your cousin's Florist shop in Toronto? I spent two years living in the Beaches there and wondered if it was on Queen St.

It is in Etibicoke in Richview plaza I believe. The interior of the shop is based on her layout, though of course she has a much larger workspace and more inventory. :laugh:

This is a very good build for having limited pieces to work with. I like the use of the horns for germinating plants.

I had another white horn, but I enjoyed "pretending" that she was experimenting and had one sucessful new variety grow in her batch.

This is cute! The lime round plates trim on the facade works really well. There some clever details inside as well, like using the space under the stairs for the couch and drawers unit, the dice tile for the stove top and I like how you done the light above the stairwell. My favourite part, though, is the top floor with that gorgeous bed and the neat little greenhouse. Well done!

The facade looks very domestic, as though this might work as a detached house as well as a modular. That you included a greenhouse on the back of the house is something new and clever. The use of a the 4 die-face as a hob is clever as well!

Good job all round, daisy!

Great! I really like this. The recessed front walls add a lot of interest. There is. Lot going on inside a well, and the grenhouse is very clever.

Qnd D?

This is a really sweet build. Regardless of any limited brick choices. The fascia is bright and interesting with all the plants. I like the greenhouse and the fact that you put it on the roof.

Thanks so much y'all

This is cute! The lime round plates trim on the facade works really well.

I initially used the lime round plates because I didn't have enough 1x1's. but I ended up liking the look, one of those limitations bringing out creativity things ;)

The facade looks very domestic, as though this might work as a detached house as well as a modular.

I am not surprised the facade looks more domestic. I have never lived in or near a large city and am not used to seeing attached buildings like the standard modulars very often. I would love to do more of the detached buildings i am used to, but I didn't have enough lime to build more than a facade.

I like the greenhouse and the fact that you put it on the roof.

I decided the greenhouse needed to be on the roof, because that would be the spot most likely to have sunshine in a city building :)

Daisy,

This is an adorable florist shop/greenhouse/apt! What a great combo in one modular.

My favorite greenhouse is the rare one piece duplo greenhouse of which I own two. Sorry I can't find the set number.

There is so much potential for building greenhouses. I often wish that Lego Architecture would produce the large Palm greenhouse in London at Kew Gardens, filled with lovely new plants! I would pay $500. for a huge model of that with built in lighting, which hubby could design for them. And lots of varieties and colors of plants would be so helpful for designing outdoor settings. (Playmobil has done an excellent job with greenhouses and garden centers, both of which I collect. And their plants have a lot more variety. It is fun creating vegetable farms and flower beds when there are more varieties of plants.)

Tree design is so limited because of the few tree parts available....and it is so much fun creating a forest filled with many different trees, bushes and plants. These could also be used to make large aquariums look really cool without live plants. Hubby makes N scale train layouts, and I love buying the JTT trees which come in so much variety that a forest look is possible.

As a note, long ago florists often operated out of their homes with refrigerators filled with flowers. My grandmother did this in a small NC town from about 1940-1970 when large stores began selling flowers. I remember seeing the refrigerators in her dining room and watching her listen to the early news obituaries so she could know who would need flowers for funeral that week. So combining the shop and home into one modular is quite realistic.

Your first modular? Very nice first one.

There are so many details in that building and really like the tiny greenhouse on the balcony,

so thumbs up :classic:

My wife has been after me to build her a modular flower shop with a greenhouse and garden center in the vacant lot next door. Your's is adorable, but I especially like the tiny greenhouse.

I plan to use a similar color scheme of white, tan, and lime green, but will use the green as an accent rather than a dominant color.

Edited by AFuckloadOfLEGO

I love that green house Daisy! The horns on those plants remind me of my pepper plants. I like that magenta and dark red roof too. It works so well against the vibrant lime. Very nice use of your friends collection.