Sign in to follow this  
maedhros1980

Future of SW Contest (Main): Ice Field Chase

Star Wars Episode VIII - Ice Field Chase

Ten years after the destruction of the second Death Star, Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn are building up the New Jedi Order. They had just christened the first two Jedi starfighters when they are called to the planet Taanab to oversee negotiations for the New Repubic. One of the ambassadors is assassinated by an unknown Sith and the ensuing chase leads into the ice field surrounding Taanab's moon.

(Imagine the music played while the Falcon navigated the asteroid field in ESB while viewing.)

8420516136_a9dd44d73e_c.jpg

8420459128_d44542b915_c.jpg

You can find clearer, larger, and additional photos of the starfighters and some of their functions in my flickr stream here.

I figure if there was a chase through an asteroid belt in Episode II and a chase through an asteroid field in Episode V, then there will be a similar scene in Episode VIII. I'm predicting an ice field this time. Best of luck to everyone in the contest, a lot of good entries.

Edited by maedhros1980

Really nice starfighters :thumbup:

I think I've seen the jedi's fighter on your flickr some times ago and tought it was really well done.

We can clearly see the inspirations for both the jedi's fighter and the sith's one. But they lack flickfire missiles :grin:

I like the ice asteroids too.

Good luck for the contest

Edited by Bob De Quatre

Really nice starfighters :thumbup:

I think I've seen the jedi's fighter on your flickr some times ago and tought it was really well done.

We can clearly see the inspirations for both the jedi's fighter and the sith's one. But they lack flickfire missiles :grin:

I like the ice asteroids too.

Good luck for the contest

Thanks. Yeah, I actually made the red Jed starfighter before I knew about this contest (or eurobricks for that matter... I'm a little slow). Anyway, like I said on flickr, I built that model because I was hoping to see something like it in the new Episodes. Then I saw this contest and realized that I started that build after this contest started and could enter it. It was fun building an action scene. The photography was a little challenging, but I worked it out eventually with minimal editing. I still think the top picture lacks a feel of depth. Maybe I should have set it up on the floor instead of the table to spread everything out.

And you're right, I should have added some flickfire missiles. What was I thinking?

Edited by maedhros1980

Nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like the shape of the starfighters :wub:

Thanks guys. The Jedi starfighters were based off a sketch I found in a book titled The Jedi Path. I really liked how it reminded me of old trilogy starfighters (Y-wing, A-wing, etc.) but definitely unique. The Sith fighter was built more like how I typically build, with a loose idea of how I want it to look and then seeing how close I can get there with the pieces I have. The TIE Advance is (hopefully obviously) my main inspiration for the Sith starfighter with a touch of color and more aggressiveness.

Nice entry maehdros. Those Jedi starfighters look very cool - blending the features of various ships and tech you've created something unique yet atypically Star Wars and the details are spot on. Good job man.

Best of luck in the competition.

I like the concept of starfghters in space. Really liked the arrangement of the asteroids and the spaceships :thumbup:

Wow, after looking at the entries in the voting thread i thought I just had to comment on these. Really nice job maedhros1980! I think the details captured and the sleekness is fantastic. You wouldn't be able to do some instructions for them would you? I'd love to have a shot at building them :sweet:

All the best in the contest!

CF

Wow, after looking at the entries in the voting thread i thought I just had to comment on these. Really nice job maedhros1980! I think the details captured and the sleekness is fantastic. You wouldn't be able to do some instructions for them would you? I'd love to have a shot at building them :sweet:

All the best in the contest!

CF

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think I'll be creating directions. I could take a couple pictures of the inards possibly though, maybe give you a pretty good idea of how to get there.

awesome ships!

Thanks.