Derfel Cadarn

Cobblecrook Cottage & Haldur's Crypt - Dark Isle Saga: Chapter

The Dark Isle Saga

Chapter 1: Welcome to Grim Hollow

Parts 1 & 2

We start in the village of Grim Hollow, an ancient settlement supposedly founded by a half-demon who worshipped the Blood Religion. A dark history that still hangs over the heads of its current inhabitants, people of Grim Hollow life in fear, the lack of life and soul has taken its toll on the village and add to its twisted appearence. Not all folk succumb to this feeling however.

Cobblecrook Cottage - Home of Taryn Ellefson and his father Kendel.

8367698753_4d1288d4d6_z.jpg

Taryn was born and raised in this cottage by his father. He never knew his mother, only that she disapeared soon after his birth and his father never speaks of it. Taryn knows deep down there is a lot more to this story but he never presses his father on the subject as he knows it is too painful for him. His father, Kendel, was once a warrior of the resistance and had fought many battles against the dark and lawless forces that run riot across Avalonia. However, without a true and just Lord to guide them, the resistance disbanded and in the end, Kendel headed deeper into Avalonia to the Dark Isle, to raise his son.

Taryn was different. He never felt the same fear as Grim Hollow's other inhabitants, he felt the place had a certain charm to it, and would quite happily go hunting and explore, getting into allsorts of trouble, as a young man does! He was a keen hunter and skilled with the bow. He could split a twig at fifty paces, but often wished he could put his skill to better use.

8367695679_4c2d7f4b3d_z.jpg8367694307_6c53992ef2_z.jpg

Taryn had been out hunting in the early morning which he often liked to do. Not having much luck he returned to find his father readying to go out.

Kendel: "Ah, there you are son. I was hoping to catch you before I left."

Taryn: "Well i'm back now father, where is it that you are headed?" he asked.

Kendel: "Nowhere" he paused..."At least nowhere important. Just to see an old friend on the outskirts of the village, matters to discuss, that sort of thing" he smiled.

Taryn nodded then grinned, "Matters to discuss with a few barrels of mead thrown in for good measure eh?"

Kendel: "Maybe" he winked. "Anyway, I won't be back till nightfall so remember to lock up if you go out."

Taryn: "Always" he smiled. "Safe journey father."

Taryn watched as his father strode down the path and on through the village. "I wonder what he's really upto" he thought to himself, then turned his gaze towards the sky. It was a dull morning, and he was already feeling low after his uneventful hunt. The wind whipped around him and he suddenly felt cold and alone.

Life can be strange. Sometimes you feel as if you're part of a bigger picture, other times you feel the helplessness that maybe this is really all there is. Taryn chose not to dwell on that thought and so decided to and see the one person who could always cheer him up, Sarlina.

And so he walked through the village and made his way to Grim Hollow graveyard, to Haldur's Crypt.

Haldur's Crypt was the resting place of the famous warrior king. Haldur had been Avalonia's first and only ruler, blessed by the druids and undefeated in battle, his rule had been a golden time for Avalonia and with his passing the people lost heart. Haldur had left no heir and so began the downfall of Avalonia into the wild place it has become. The crypt itself is deep below ground, and there Haldur rests surrounded by his warriors. It is said that the iron fencing surrounding the crypt is made from the weapons of his enemys but if they were, most have been plundered over the years. Now the crypt stands decaying, the tower crumbles and sucumbs to nature. A rusty bell hangs sad and lonely at the top of the tower, never to be heard except on stormy nights. Its sad to think that in this gloomy forgotten place lies Avalonia's greatest hero and last hope.

However, it is a commen meeting place for Taryn and Sarlina. Taryn knows Sarlina has a fondness for this spot and he can always be sure to find her here.

8416804219_59e826327c_z.jpg8417895404_88cb7b4030_z.jpg

Taryn approached the crypt to find Sarlina sitting on a large flat stone. Her head was down and she looked deep in thought.

Taryn: "Thought I'd find you here" he smiled, "I was on my to your house but figured it was best to check here on the way."

Sarlina lifted her head and turned to look at him. "Its cold" she spoke in a soft voice, then frowned, "so, where were you?"

Taryn: "Er..where was I?....well....what do you mean?" he asked puzzled.

Sarlina: "You said you would meet me here when the sun rises....Remember?" she jumped up. "I've been here all morning waiting for you, cold, lonely and feeling like an idiot!"

Taryn: "Ah yes, well, technically its still morning right?" he smilled shyly. "Sorry...I'm here now though, and I've brought you a gift."

Sarlina: "Sorry?... I'd say so" she relaxed and grinned, then walked towards him. "Soooo, what have you bought me." she smiled.

Taryn: "A lightning stone" he said triumphantly. "I found it while I was out hunting this morning." He lent forward and placed the stone in her open hand, her eyes widened as she gazed upon it.

Lightning stones were small pebbles that were laced with white lines that resembled a lightning strike. They were believed to fall from the sky during a storm and were imbued with mystical qualities.

Sarlina: " Its beautiful" she gasped. She rubbed her hand over the smooth polished stone. "I've never seen one as pronounced as this before." She placed the stone in her pouch then turned to give him an ammused glance. "So thats what you were doing this morning then was it? Hunting? I might of known."

Taryn looked sheepish, "I truely am sorry" he sighed.

Sarlina laughed. "Evidently, and you even brought me a gift as a guilty sweetener" she joked. "You know a thing or two about women and gifts at least!" she laughed again, then smiled. "Anyway, I've got lots to tell you" she said excitedly, " so lets go!"

Taryn looked puzzled. "Lots?...Go where?" he asked confused.

Sarlina put her arms around him and winked. "You do trust me don't you Taryn?" she spoke seductivly.

She had a mischievious fire in her eyes, Taryn wondered what trouble she was about to get him into but nodded. "Of course I trust you."

Sarlina: "Good" she smiled "I'll explain everything on the way." she put her arm through his and together they walked out of the crypt and through the graveyard.

Life can be strange and fate is inexorable, is there a set path for all of us or do we tread our own? One things for sure, when a beautiful girl asks, she usually gets what she wants, and so it starts......

To be continued...

Wonderful start to a (hopefully) sweeping saga on the birth of present Avalonia. Guild Historians like myself have been waiting to see this age as retold by our present leader. Your builds are wonderful so far, and I can't wait to see more.

Beautiful as always, only thing I'm a little sad about is that now we lost you too over to the fleshy side ...

Wow! Great builds with a great story! these are some amazing MOCs! Can't wait to read more!

Excellent story and builds. I can see my self starting a similar style story based in Circardia once Challenge VI wraps up.

I love the new style on the builds too. still recognizable as DC but a few subtle things that make them even more interesting.

Great MOC's and cool story. I love where this is going! You said it is set in Avalonias past, mind if I join in? Dark Isle seems perfect to me for some MOC about Lord Mephistopheles' past.

This is sweet DC, love your new style, the colours really pop and the end made me smile.

Beautifully crafted MOCs. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them as well as the story progressing :thumbup:

Absolutely marvelous! I really like the idea of a history that isn't too far back. I am definitely intrigued here

Excellent work our captain!

I love the texture of the roof on the tomb build, and how crooked cobble crook really looks. Awesomesauce.

Briljant stuff. I already saw these on flickr, but i'm sooooo much looking forward to how this saga will evolve!

Thanks guys!!!

Wonderful start to a (hopefully) sweeping saga on the birth of present Avalonia. Guild Historians like myself have been waiting to see this age as retold by our present leader. Your builds are wonderful so far, and I can't wait to see more.

I figured that a lot of people were doing stories set in current times so I thought it would be good to flush out a bit of history. Hopefully other guilds will do this as well, it all adds to making Historica more in-depth.

Beautiful as always, only thing I'm a little sad about is that now we lost you too over to the fleshy side ...

I'm not lost to the fleshie side, I love my classic figs! I do however have quite a few fleshies that never get used and I have chosen them for this saga as the color tones in with the look I'm trying to achieve. I'm sure i'll sneak some classic figs in there somewhere.

Excellent story and builds. I can see my self starting a similar style story based in Circardia once Challenge VI wraps up.

I love the new style on the builds too. still recognizable as DC but a few subtle things that make them even more interesting.

Go on, do a story :thumbup: It gets you thinking more about mocs and the different ideas you can explore. Im sure Circardia has a rich history waiting to be written.

Great MOC's and cool story. I love where this is going! You said it is set in Avalonias past, mind if I join in? Dark Isle seems perfect to me for some MOC about Lord Mephistopheles' past.

The Dark Isle was just a random Island in the Mystic Isles that I picked so I could turn it into whatever I wanted. You could do the same, just pick an island and create your own back story and history to it. While I wouldn't stop anyone wanting to write about adventures on that island, I really think its best if you create your own area and build and write its history. One of the reasons we allow people to choose an area of land for themselves is so they can do just that, and create their own world within a world with its own style and stories. Like Mikey B with his area Circardia, de Gothia with Benoic etc. You can create what you wish. If you want a dark and gloomy area then just create one :sweet: Its really upto you, you're in charge of your own area, so make it what you want. I would very much look forward to seeing what you come up with, you have the skills :thumbup:

This is sweet DC, love your new style, the colours really pop and the end made me smile.

Thanks mate. Now wheres that Zombie story?????????? :wink:

Excellent work our captain!

I love the texture of the roof on the tomb build, and how crooked cobble crook really looks. Awesomesauce.

Thankyou Vice Captain Susan, when are we going to see more of your characters back story that you hinted at?

Thankyou Vice Captain Susan, when are we going to see more of your characters back story that you hinted at?

I have chapter 2 started, but it's on hold during CH VI. I'll get back to it after I get a good jump on those builds.

Beautiful work DC, the muted palette you've used for these is lovely, gives it an almost sepia-tone look that fits in well with a story set in the past. I'm loving all the details like the covered well, the sparse, windblown trees, the crooked windowsills etc. The roof on the crypt is beautiful as well! :wub: Can't wait for chapter two... :thumbup:

there are alot of great techniques that I will be using in future builds, with credit given of course. super cool! builders like you are what revolutionise different qenres fo building, yourself castle.

I look forward to how this progresses :sweet:

Chapter 2? That will be a while yet. I've still got another 4 builds for chapter 1 to do yet! :)

Chapter 2? That will be a while yet. I've still got another 4 builds for chapter 1 to do yet! :)

Oh! There's more to come in Chapter 1? Yes! :sweet:

Very nice builds, your style, in these two at least, has a very unique feel to it, the darker tone adds a lot to the story. The fading lines on the house especially look very realistic, as does the darker foliage. :thumbup: Really it's hard to describe, but you've captured a feeling with both of these that gives them a deeper interest then some other MOCs. I think the border turned out better here than on your Dedication, which struck me as a bit clashing with the darker tone of the rest of the build, but here it adds just that color that it would be lacking. Great job, and an intriguing story line so far as well, I'm interested in hearing more!

As usual, I love your work :wub_drool: :wub_drool: I love how you made the walls of the buildings and the accuracy with which you recreates the smallest details :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am glad that in a few weeks I finally will know the history of Avalonia in the last 100 years :laugh:

I love how you did the first cottage. It really feels like Taryn just has to close the door too hard in order to make the whole building crumble down :sweet:

Every time I see a MOC of you, you manage to surprise me with marvellous details!

Wow! This is fantastic. So many excellent details. I absolutely love the completely chaotic greebling you've done. It's perfect for the Dark Isle. Lots of great techniques and ideas here. And I really like the color variations in the walls of the upper storey of Cobblecrook Cottage! Plus the bizarre window frames. Really looking forward to the rest of this story!

The only part that I'm not totally sold on yet is the style of trees. It's not sitting right with me for some reason -- maybe the trunks are too smooth? I'll have to build some myself and play with it a bit, and maybe I'll get used to them.