Endgame

Bricks cracking... just from being connected to one another?

I've recently had problems with various Reddish Brown plates snapping when I try to remove them from builds, and even more so with Reddish Brown 1x4 tiles.

Here's a picture showing some of them:

23367342343_60bacfa538_c.jpg

The 1x4 tiles almost always break when there are other pieces around the tile, and you lift them off from the end, rather than side (or sometimes from the side as well, since after a few broke similarly, I've been careful to avoid that).

The other plates have broken during different circumstances, both when being removed by hand, or when using a brick separator.

Anyone else having issues similar to these?

That is serious damage, I just wonder if its the quality of that batch of coloured plastic they used for that.

That is serious damage, I just wonder if its the quality of that batch of coloured plastic they used for that.

I wonder the same thing, as I've never had pieces break like this in other colors, or even in this particular color, in previous years.

OMG!!!!

This is my first time in life seeing such an issue.

Really can't believe such a mess

Pretty frustrating for sure, fortunately it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

I've recently had problems with various Reddish Brown plates snapping when I try to remove them from builds, and even more so with Reddish Brown 1x4 tiles.

Here's a picture showing some of them:

-snip-

The 1x4 tiles almost always break when there are other pieces around the tile, and you lift them off from the end, rather than side (or sometimes from the side as well, since after a few broke similarly, I've been careful to avoid that).

The other plates have broken during different circumstances, both when being removed by hand, or when using a brick separator.

I've had a 2x8 reddish brown plate and one 1x4 reddish brown tile break in a fashion similar to what you have described.

Yes, a blue plate that disintegrated when using the separator:

rn99RwL.jpg

(I probably already posted this here)

The only difference compared to most of the posts here, is that this blue part is from good old Lego, from end of 70s/early 80s (classic space)

With the brick separators or fingers, where you apply force can have an impact on cracking bricks.

I cracked a 1x4 tile when I tried to pry it off a base plate from the narrow end. The end that cracked was butt up against another tile. There was no place for the end of the tile to go and it snapped when lifted passed a certain point. You basically have to pry around some times to avoid damage.

cracked_zpskbcnent9.jpg

I also cracked a 1x4 brick when trying to separating them between two brick separators. I didn't put the bottom separator in the re-enforced center part of the brick and it cracked a piece off the side of the brick.

brickbroke_zps38e7d6bd.jpg

@dr_spock: Yeah, the same thing happened to some of my RB 1x4 tiles, but it's never happened to me, even in the same circumstances, with different color 1x4 tiles :wacko:

I did have an issue with the seasonal Halloween set... it was just one piece I put in the wrong spot, and it broke trying to get it out. I think it was the first piece I ever broke during a build. I had a spare, and chalked it up to an unfortunate set of circumstances.

They don't do it that way, though... it's all clear plastic that they add dye to, so it's all the same plastic for all the colors, just different dyes. In my case, I hadn't really seen the issue before, despite the fact I've had hundreds of cheese slopes attached for years, and that seems to be the most common problem. In my case, it was only dark red 1x1 tiles. All the other dark red pieces were fine, so it can't have anything to do with the dye. Also, all the dark red tiles from my own collection that I replaced them with also worked just fine. And it's not 1x1 tiles, because all the other colors that, one would assume, were manufactured reasonably close in time, all worked just fine, too.

It has to come down to a bad batch. Unfortunately, this was from the Fire Brigade, which is all the way back from 2009. I have a LOT of sets I haven't built, and it worries me that this could be an issue for something even older. I just don't have anywhere to put them right now... someday I hope to move to a house with a basement I can use just for LEGO, but if I build them all now, I'd just have to put them all back in the box.

[...] the problem I had was with dark red 1x1 tiles. [...] Every single one broke.

Same experience here - the tiles break in two just by trying to connect them to a stud!

16195431435_c956effd51_z.jpg

Incidentally the cracking elements were purchased through LUGBULK IV in 2011 ...

It really hurts seeing those cracked bricks! I must admit that this has never happened to me before. But I am not a moc pro and so I mostly build sets and leave them as they are. Therefore I do not connect/disconnect every brick I have too often!

While sorting I found a number of cheese slopes and 2x4 bricks that had cracks in them. The 2x4 bricks (lbg) have been stacked together since November of last year (2014), they were leftovers from a PAB order. 4 out of the 10 bricks that were stacked together had cracks in them.

Edited by BrickSash

While sorting I found a number of cheese slopes and 2x4 bricks that had cracks in them. The 2x4 bricks (lbg) have been stacked together since November of last year (2014), they were leftovers from a PAB order. 4 out of the 10 bricks that were stacked together had cracks in them.

My cracked LBG 2x4 also came from the PAB Wall.

Same experience here - the tiles break in two just by trying to connect them to a stud!

Incidentally the cracking elements were purchased through LUGBULK IV in 2011 ...

That's a nice vignette using cracked bricks. :thumbup:

@dr_spock: Yeah, the same thing happened to some of my RB 1x4 tiles, but it's never happened to me, even in the same circumstances, with different color 1x4 tiles :wacko:

I haven't had other color 1x4 tiles cracked on me either.

That's just awesome! Way to make lemonade, there, mijasper!

I posted this in the Technic section but I felt it was important to post it here too.

I dusted off my 8070 Supercar today and noticed that all of the 32184 pieces were cracked in the same place. It has sat on my shelf for three years so the pieces were never stressed.

16368631482_6e70fd07b6_b.jpg

That is the only problem i have in my collection of 13,500 technic pieces, but only in those parts that have a rough finish, the ones with smooth finish are just fine. thats all i collect, maybe technic is just super strong because theres no clutch power used in technic, but simple snaps. and the pins have give in them to not expand the inner hole.

After I submitted my request for replacement parts, now nearly three weeks ago, while they sent a confirmation of receiving my request, they've neither sent any replacements nor even an email. I submitted another email with the issue number and explained again, and posted a link to my photo... and again, they haven't responded.

After I submitted my request for replacement parts, now nearly three weeks ago, while they sent a confirmation of receiving my request, they've neither sent any replacements nor even an email. I submitted another email with the issue number and explained again, and posted a link to my photo... and again, they haven't responded.

That's odd, I submitted a request about some of the 1x4 tiles I'd had break, and they responded pretty quickly, and sent me replacements.

I've never had a part crack or break despite my entire collection being stored in the attic for nearly a decade with wild temperature swings from one extreme to another. What has happened though is some parts have lost their gripping power. Many minifigure hair pieces and hats simply fall right off if turned upside down. Some bricks and plates, especially the 1x1 plates, will not grip onto the part it is being attached to. And tons of my white colored parts have discolored turning into a sort of yellow. No color issue with any other colors. I don't think Lego will replace my entire collection of white bricks. Lego should have a page on their website on how to properly care for Lego especially during long periods of storage.

just as an educational note on the plastics. Fred67 is right that the main plastic is just a basic clear/white pellet, the color additives are also small pellets. these have to be mixed while being melted, if the heats get too high the plastic degrades, to cold and it doesn't flow properly. fortunately that's the easier part of the process, once the temps are in range the mixing has to go as planed to get the proper color. then the part is injected into the mold under extreme pressures. the mold is also the first stage cooling unit, and where a good part can be ruined. if the cooling is too slow the part comes out partially molten and will stick to any other plastic nearby, usually ruining multiple parts. if its too fast the part becomes brittle and in some cases cracks immediately. a balance must be found to produce the parts as fast as possible, while getting the plastic melted right, mixed right, and cooled right. it doesn't take much at all to push a batch out of the good zones and into either of the other bad zones. and with plants trying to produce more and more the time allotted to each machine cycle shortens and pushes things ever closer to a bad part in one way or another.

Only parts from sets from 2007 (4939 Cool Cars) and 2010 (5867 Super Speedster) - I'm looking at you, cheese slopes! - broke and I believe it was a bad timespan for Lego Quality; actually, you can see the decrease of ABS quality with the naked eye.

Recently, however, I noticed my 42020 Twin Rotor Helicopter perpendicular pin and axle connectors cracked for no apparent reason. Also, the long pins with stop bush (4 of 5) cracked. Two of them - well, I could understand why, as, they were under a bit of strain - but two served as rear rotor blades on a heli MOC and shouldn't have cracked just like that.

Placing my replacement parts query now. Let's see if TLG's willing to help.

(...) tons of my white colored parts have discolored turning into a sort of yellow. No color issue with any other colors. I don't think Lego will replace my entire collection of white bricks.

Put them into a bath of 2% hydrogen peroxide (oxidated water) and leave them in a direct sunlight for a whole day or two. They should turn white again.

I've never encounter such an issue with any of my technic or system bricks. Most of the time I'm building my sets to display on my shelves, and I've never seen any cracks on any cheeses/slopes...

Only clip pieces my broke after many clip/unclip.

I feel really sad about your sets :(

I've heard that TLG is producing most of the recent Minifigures (CMF and battle packs ones) in china, isn't it possible that the bricks follow this tendency ?

OMG, what have you been doing to all these poor parts? I have Technic pieces with cracks myself. Can't imagine how you managed to split the 3L pin...

I had a large blue base plate crack once (It was from when Lego made the deep base plates from the 80's or 70's, I think. It was so old, I'm not sure when it was made, and most likely started out life in some lego that my brother had.) It had very heavy use though and had been built on and taken apart many times before it snapped. I've had some issues with arch bricks (probably because the arch naturally weakens the plastic more than you'd get from a complete, solid one. One arch that you use for trees broke from my Bag End set because when I was transferring from one room to another, the roof fell off and landed on the tree, so it's hardly surprising that broke. One piece I've had trouble with is 4211066 from the 2012 Star Wars Desert Skiff - it's very delicate which broke while it apart from the piece it connects to and any part like that now I keep intact when take a set down. I am surprised to see the extreme breakage that some people have suffered from the more robust parts as mine have only ever broken through heavy use, or had a natural weak point in them to begin with.