Sign in to follow this  
midengineaddict

Large travel super flex suspention 4 L motors rock crawler

In this pic, you can see the Horizontal spring at full extension. when the truck lay on his weight, this spring are 1/4 of the travel, so when one wheel climb on something, the other wheel droop and can this way stay on the ground.

In The other pic, we can see the spring around half the travel and is locked there, I Tried it at full travel and the truck was unstable and the suspension too soft. (Maybe I will try another design)

100_2785_zps90890c23.jpg100_2784_zpsfc43b3bf.jpg

100_2788_zps3ac938bb.jpg

Edited by midengineaddict

Spring overdose! But seriously whats the maximum angle of the axle twist?

up to now, this is the max axle twist when lifting a wheel... the lower spring can compress again but I got to apply force on it (extra hard spring) and I think no obstacle will make it compress more. I will try another design but it's good enough for me.

100_2786_zpsf9652c3e.jpg

Using non lego tires suck. Using any non-lego parts sucks too

they suck but they look very good

I got around 40 Lego tires, some of them look realistic but I don't like the balloon ones (sorry for all the Lego balloon tires lovers).

Anyways, Tanks to post comments on my topic.

By the way, just for fun, are you against the chrome plated parts?

@ backbone: Let me ask you this question -- does your real-life vehicle still have the ORIGINAL tires on it? If not, is there a different brand of tires now than what was provided as the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) tires? I bet that most people have different (better?) tires on their vehicles after a few years. Yet, their vehicle is STILL a VW, Audi, Ford, or whatever. So, what's the difference between doing that (in real life) and doing something similar with a Lego model? As z3_2drive mentioned, Lego tires DO SUCK at rock crawling -- he's proven it and so have lots of other people. Why settle for inferior tires in real life or in a model?

Dluders - im lego purist, sorry. Using non lego parts, modifying them, cutting, painting. I hate it.

Lego is lego, lets use what's is lego branded. Thats my Point of View about it.

@ backbone: Although I understand the "Lego Purist" point of view, to me it's silly and closed-minded. One could enjoy the 9398 4x4 Crawler model, and MOCs like midengineaddict's crawler, a lot more IF they use superior tires. Otherwise, those models sit on a shelf, unused, unable to reach their full potential. How sad.

Edited by DLuders

I agree with DLuders here. I just installed third-party tires on my 9398 crawler and it makes a WORLD of difference. Even with the differentials, it can now actually CRAWL over things. I'm now even able to drive up to a wall and it will just push itself 90Ā° upwards until it falls; before it just stood there.

I tried removing the differentials first without using third-party tires, but that did not help.

And it is indeed a pity to build a set and not be able to show of with it, only because of the tires.

I would never replace any LEGO ABS element with a non-lego equivalent (metal axles, metal u-joints, ...) but I have no problem with the tires.

I think I'll stick with the stock Lego tires, because they're what I have and I'm assuming these third-party hardcore hobby tires are pretty expensive.

I like the dual spring suspension system used on this crawler!

I think I'll stick with the stock Lego tires, because they're what I have and I'm assuming these third-party hardcore hobby tires are pretty expensive.

Actually Phoxtane, they can be had for faaaar less than the tire that's most commonly accepted as the best LEGO tire available, being the Power Puller tire. The prices on Bricklink for these are out of control, if they're even available at all.

I paid 10.5ā‚¬ for 1 third-party tire (and they can be had much cheaper in the US), while the power pullers go for an average of 15ā‚¬, if they're available. The Power Puller tires + rims are even averaging over 25ā‚¬ per piece !!

Edited by Strikeman

$25usd a pair is cheap. Look how much sellers are selling the 94.8x44r balloon tires or Power Puller tires for.

Dluders - im lego purist, sorry. Using non lego parts, modifying them, cutting, painting. I hate it.

Lego is lego, lets use what's is lego branded. Thats my Point of View about it.

I share your opinion regarding regular parts, but disagree on tyres... LEGO tyres are not very good performance wise or even regarding their overall look, so I do use non-LEGO tyres but still consider myself a purist.

Edited by Pedro Antunes

I share your opinion regarding regular parts, but disagree on tyres... LEGO tyres are not very good performance wise or even regarding their overall look, so I do use non-LEGO tyres but still consider myself a purist.

What?

Lego axles are not perfect, then we have to use metal ones. A closed-minded like me understand the points of view but does not attempt to justify or defend my own as best. If I want to do a real good crawler Lego is not the answer, if you want to build the best Lego crawler and overcome the shortcomings that have and we all suffer equaly, Non-Lego parts are useless, just those performance deficiencies and faults are what make us think more and more, so I like to build with only Lego.

Actually Phoxtane, they can be had for faaaar less than the tire that's most commonly accepted as the best LEGO tire available, being the Power Puller tire. The prices on Bricklink for these are out of control, if they're even available at all.

I paid 10.5ā‚¬ for 1 third-party tire (and they can be had much cheaper in the US), while the power pullers go for an average of 15ā‚¬, if they're available. The Power Puller tires + rims are even averaging over 25ā‚¬ per piece !!

$25usd a pair is cheap. Look how much sellers are selling the 94.8x44r balloon tires or Power Puller tires for.

Ack! Guess that's what I get for making assumptions... :sadnew:

@ backbone: Although I understand the "Lego Purist" point of view, to me it's silly and closed-minded. One could enjoy the 9398 4x4 Crawler model, and MOCs like midengineaddict's crawler, a lot more IF they use superior tires. Otherwise, those models sit on a shelf, unused, unable to reach their full potential. How sad.

Without full potential? Watch on youtube polish truck trial competition videos. Only lego parts, lego tires. Best lego trucks in the world

@ backbone: Yes, I've watched the LUGPol Truck Trial videos -- the models are most impressive. However, I've seen them struggling to climb over tree roots and other obstacles that could EASILY be handled by softer, more-sticky tires. The RC-type tires are miniature MODELS of real 4WD tires that are used for real Truck Trials.

You didn't answer my questions -- does your real-life vehicle still have the ORIGINAL tires on it? What's the difference between doing that (in real life) and doing something similar with a Lego model? Why settle for inferior tires in real life or in a model?

Maybe we should move this conversation to another topic as we're effectively hijacking midengineaddicts topic about his excellent crawler.

But we know how that kind of topic would turn out of course as we have this kind of discussion every few months :sceptic:

One else thing to say, when I received the Lego oem tires for 9398 from bricklink, the tires slip around the rims so the questioning stopped right there.

I'm sorry for the purist but I have 12 AA batteries in 2 battery box in my crawler, (4 L motor and 2 servo) If I can get an RC rechargeable power supply, I will

Yiu donĀ“t have to sorry about it :laugh: ,be purist is just one division for me, I watch the MOCs but I never make comparisons between them because it is impossible to obtain this efficiency. If you ever want to participate in a Lego trial truck you will have a lot to learn out of habit :sweet: .