General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

To me the shape is the most important thing. Capture the shape well, then add details and you got yourself a winner. :wink:

To me the shape is the most important thing. Capture the shape well, then add details and you got yourself a winner. :wink:

But the shape is not captured well... not even ok....

look at the middle part... and the shape of Minas Tirith has 7 lvls... how is having 2 lvls a shape well captured lol

not to even say that the tower is absolutely funny lol

The catapult is as high as the 2nd lvl lol

I appreciate Nuju for trying but I could not support such creation.... and since its up nearly 1 year and is not even on 25% supporters it shows many share my thinking.... I know 5 friends who all collect LOTR and would NOT want a Minas Tirith like that...

We used to say when playing poker... go big or go home :P and thats how I think about minas Tirith.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17647

That is a minas Tirith that looks ok... granted its Micro... but the build is proportionate to itself... they release it like that... Ill buy it instantly ...

Edited by Alcarin

Alcarin, I feel like when it comes to Minas Tirith, you forget that LEGO is first and foremost a children's toy. While LOTR has been a theme geared more towards an older demographic, they've still needed to produce sets that fit their standards.

Take Helm's Deep for example. That is by far the best LOTR set yet, and could very well be considered one of the best Castle sets ever. While scaled down, it achieved everything a Helm's Deep set needed to achieve: the gate, the curved walls, the Horn of Helm Hammerhand, the culvert with exploding function, and lots of cool details inside. It is purely a beautiful set, and did justice to one of the most memorable locations and battles in LOTR.

That said, Minas Tirith should be treated no differently. Sure, Minas Tirith is a city, but from a kid or teen's point of view, it is most importantly a castle with two factions battling. Something like Nuju Metru's CUUSOO project would be perfect, especially if we got an army builder to supplement the armies of both sides. I think a big Minas Tirith set, roughly the same size and price as Helm's Deep,would be fantastic, and have a $30 expansion set available to expand forces.

Now on the topic of there being no news: the fact that we haven't heard or seen any evidence of a new LOTR wave is unsettling me very much. I tried to see if I could get any sort of info from Jordan Scott via his tumblr page, but alas he is unable to confirm or deny anything. Part of me wants to begin a petition of sorts and bring it to the attention of LEGO, in the hopes of securing a final wave of LOTR sets. While that may seem a bit much, it might come to that, lest we never see any more LOTR sets again.

Alcarin, I feel like when it comes to Minas Tirith, you forget that LEGO is first and foremost a children's toy. While LOTR has been a theme geared more towards an older demographic, they've still needed to produce sets that fit their standards.

Take Helm's Deep for example. That is by far the best LOTR set yet, and could very well be considered one of the best Castle sets ever. While scaled down, it achieved everything a Helm's Deep set needed to achieve: the gate, the curved walls, the Horn of Helm Hammerhand, the culvert with exploding function, and lots of cool details inside. It is purely a beautiful set, and did justice to one of the most memorable locations and battles in LOTR.

That said, Minas Tirith should be treated no differently. Sure, Minas Tirith is a city, but from a kid or teen's point of view, it is most importantly a castle with two factions battling. Something like Nuju Metru's CUUSOO project would be perfect, especially if we got an army builder to supplement the armies of both sides. I think a big Minas Tirith set, roughly the same size and price as Helm's Deep,would be fantastic, and have a $30 expansion set available to expand forces.

Now on the topic of there being no news: the fact that we haven't heard or seen any evidence of a new LOTR wave is unsettling me very much. I tried to see if I could get any sort of info from Jordan Scott via his tumblr page, but alas he is unable to confirm or deny anything. Part of me wants to begin a petition of sorts and bring it to the attention of LEGO, in the hopes of securing a final wave of LOTR sets. While that may seem a bit much, it might come to that, lest we never see any more LOTR sets again.

Yeah but from kids perspective its enough if they get the wall and front gate with Grond and maybe even a catapult/siege tower they dont need a whole city like the project shows (or tries to show) Noone battle at courtyard EVER unless you call Gandalf bashing Denethor with a stick battling....

if we go by your logic that kids 1st and battling is main thing then whole Minas Tirith is irrelevant and we need gates + a little wall and Grond and loads of figs.

Yes helm's Deep is by far the best LEGO LOTR set (once you pair it up with you know what) but you also have to understand helm's Deep is not a city it is a refuge place to withstand an assault. It is also much easier to make ''whole'' Helm's deep scaled down cos their main elements are a tower with a horn, Thrones room gates with 2 smaller towers guarding them and a huge long deepening wall.... in movies atleast there is literally nothing else shown (caves etc)

As I said you want a kids toy I suggested a kids toy sets:

1. Gate + grond (6 figs) 70$ set

2. Courtyard with white Tower 7 figs (140$ set) - 2000 pieces

That way we get 2 most important parts of Minas Tirith (in movie) fans can MOC the rest and kids get to play the battle at the gate (which is cheaper)

I've been worrying too. What time was it that we first got the information for the most recent wave of LotR? (Pirate Ship Ambush, etc.) :sceptic:

But we don't have information about ANY set from the summer wave. But I have to admit I'm not as optomistic as I used to be.

I've been worrying too. What time was it that we first got the information for the most recent wave of LotR? (Pirate Ship Ambush, etc.) :sceptic:

The first confirmation we got was when 1st wave of Hobbit came out and there was teaser in the last page of instructions of Hobbit sets with LOTR stuff saying they come out in summer...

this year it was 0

If I remember correctly, it was some time around Nov-Dec last year that we got our first news of the second LOTR wave (we got a rumour list with some sets that never happened, but a couple turned out to be true).

While all the evidence seems to be pointing to there being no new LOTR wave next year, I think that LEGO is far too aware of how badly us fans are craving Gondor sets and the Witch-King, among other things. Perhaps there is an ambassador from Eurobricks who could get in contact with someone from LEGO and maybe shed some light on the subject?

If I remember correctly, it was some time around Nov-Dec last year that we got our first news of the second LOTR wave (we got a rumour list with some sets that never happened, but a couple turned out to be true).

While all the evidence seems to be pointing to there being no new LOTR wave next year, I think that LEGO is far too aware of how badly us fans are craving Gondor sets and the Witch-King, among other things. Perhaps there is an ambassador from Eurobricks who could get in contact with someone from LEGO and maybe shed some light on the subject?

Yeah but those were all unoffcial... I think we can safely say first 100% confirmation was inside Hobbit sets instructions with last page teaser for LOTR... which this year is missing.

"Now on the topic of there being no news: the fact that we haven't heard or seen any evidence of a new LOTR wave is unsettling me very much. I tried to see if I could get any sort of info from Jordan Scott via his tumblr page, but alas he is unable to confirm or deny anything. Part of me wants to begin a petition of sorts and bring it to the attention of LEGO, in the hopes of securing a final wave of LOTR sets. While that may seem a bit much, it might come to that, lest we never see any more LOTR sets again."

Seems to me one would be able to say if you are not going to do something. If we,want to play such games.

Here is another thought. Maybe the third wave of LoTR would be released with the third wave of the hobbit?

I can see TABA being filled with links to the LoTR and what better way to link the two together. Plus as many have

mentioned sets do better when released with the movie. Perhaps a combined last wave of seven or eight sets with some representing the foreshadowing in the hobbit and actual events in TLoR. Just.a thought.

Edited by Darth Punk

But the shape is not captured well... not even ok....

look at the middle part... and the shape of Minas Tirith has 7 lvls... how is having 2 lvls a shape well captured lol

not to even say that the tower is absolutely funny lol

The catapult is as high as the 2nd lvl lol

Actually the shape is captured pretty well, it's just not done to minifigure scale at all. The minifigures look like giants in his Minas Tirith. If you take them away I think you will see the shape and a lot of characteristics are there though. Of course it's only 3 levels instead of 7, but I can guarantee Lego would never do more than 3-4 levels because it would be redundant and it's not needed to give the overall look and feel of Minas Tirith. You keep saying Minas Tirith is a city and needs all 7 levels and the markets, healing house, etc., but that just isn't true. It's like the Glittering Caverns in Helm's Deep, they weren't included but they were shown at least a few times in the movie. Lego's Helm's Deep left off a lot of parts because they weren't that important or didn't add much to the set. They just hit on all the main features.

Now with that said I do think Nuju's model would need some modifications to work as a real set. I think the trebuchets are way to big and take up too many pieces. The Fel Beast does too. Remove these things and use the bricks from them to make the walls of Minas Tirith bigger. I would also add some detail bricks to spice up the look a bit. Having a $30 army builder with smaller trebuchets and a wall piece would also help bulk up the city. Hopefully Lego would be smart about it and make them so you could expand them side ways AND upwards (2 sets stack on top of each other to form a second level of the city).

I appreciate Nuju for trying but I could not support such creation.... and since its up nearly 1 year and is not even on 25% supporters it shows many share my thinking.... I know 5 friends who all collect LOTR and would NOT want a Minas Tirith like that...

It's not been a year, it's going on 9 months. Also, how many other LotR projects have over 2,000 votes? I can't find a single one. The next highest has almost 1,000 less votes than Nuju's project.

Yeah but those were all unoffcial... I think we can safely say first 100% confirmation was inside Hobbit sets instructions with last page teaser for LOTR... which this year is missing.

It's not missing. It's teasing a final Hobbit wave instead. Which is in many ways more worrying. Now it may simply be that our expected third LotR and Hobbit waves are actually reversed, as the last Hobbit movie was originally supposed to be a summer release? But it may also be a more foreboding sign that they will shut it all down with the end of the movies.

I hope they'll be another wave. My wallet doesn't .

I'm okay with that Minas Tirith but it is a little plain in areas. I would never buy anything hugly priced because I'd never be able to afford it.

To be completely honest a large-ish Osgiliath the ruined main city of Gondor with some rangers, Faramir, armoured Boromir and Denethor (out of place I know) a small boat, a horse and some orcs + Gothmog would please me. (so around nine figs, so the 80-100 price point)

Anyone wanting the MT could but this thousands of time and use the pieces. It fits for the attack on Osgiliath, Faramir's suicide horse riding mission and Faramir's flashback to when Boromir left to join the fellowship. We get key figures for Gondor and I'd be great.

To complement it we'd get a battlepack to add on, similar to helms deep's one but the wall is ruined (I have no idea who'd be the main character) and another set with the Witch King, Snowmane+ Theoden and Eowyn etc.

This would complete it for me and I'd be happy. What do you think?

Seems to me one would be able to say if you are not going to do something.

Not necessarily. Look how many people said they would quit buying the LotR/Hobbit sets on the spot if we aren't getting a third LotR wave. Lego might not want to reveal the LotR line ended with the second wave for fear of hurting wave two Hobbit and LotR sales still going on now.

To the topic of Minas Tirith... I'm pretty sure that lego will split it up into several different sets rather than one, since it's so big. There's no way to do it even a smudge of justice if they do it in one set just because of the sheer size of it (much bigger than helm's deep).

Also, I wonder if they'll do what they did with helm's deep and not include any soldiers, but put them in another smaller set like the Uruk Hai army? That way we'd get more orcs and the main characters (denethor, gandalf, pippin in gondor armor etc.), and maybe bigger sets.

I guess I just hope we get a 3rd LOTR wave, lol.

Here we go again - Alcarin vs. the world on a Minas Tirith set. :grin:

I feel the need to say Nuju Metru's Minas Tirith is the best one I've seen so far. That said, I belong in the camp saying that TLG won't release the whole city, but rather different smaller builds: the gate, a portion of wall, the throne room and courtyard, or the signal tower that Pippin lights. So long as we get a Gondor soldier, I don't really mind what we'll get.

Is there no way at all to find out how the LOTR theme is doing and/or if a 3rd wave is coming? It just seems odd that for a company so invested in its fan community, we haven't heard anything about how the theme is doing holistically by now. (And by 'holistically', I mean the LOTR and Hobbit sets as a whole)

Edited by The_Chosen_1

Is there no way at all to find out how the LOTR theme is doing and/or if a 3rd wave is coming? It just seems odd that for a company so invested in its fan community, we haven't heard anything about how the theme is doing holistically by now. (And by 'holistically', I mean the LOTR and Hobbit sets as a whole)

This is a good point. In most fandom there's almost somebody who knows a guy who knows a guy, or simply has a connection to someone in the franchise's PR (for example, in the SW action figure collecting fandom on rebelscum.com, there were several high-level members with 'connections'). Lego would only be advantaged by informing us if an LOTR wave is coming, because many will budget their cash ahead of time to prepare for a large purchase. The more time in advance to know something's coming, the more money can be saved, the more sets can be bought.

This is a good point. In most fandom there's almost somebody who knows a guy who knows a guy, or simply has a connection to someone in the franchise's PR (for example, in the SW action figure collecting fandom on rebelscum.com, there were several high-level members with 'connections'). Lego would only be advantaged by informing us if an LOTR wave is coming, because many will budget their cash ahead of time to prepare for a large purchase. The more time in advance to know something's coming, the more money can be saved, the more sets can be bought.

Well not to be mean or anything... but its always good to save money even if you dont know if LOTR is coming.... save it like its coming really and if it does not there is all your money to spend on something else...

bad idea?

Could LEGO actually keep info regarding a final LotR wave under wraps to encourage people NOT to save money for it? If I knew that a Gondor Army/ Osgiliath/ Balrog set would be released in July 2014, I would save my LEGO budget for it and not even think about spending money on the current (rater disappointing, in my opinion) Hobbit sets. If, however, I knew that there won't be any more LotR sets, I would be more inclined to purchase one or two of the Hobbit sets.

I'm not sure if we will get another LOTR wave :look:

Last year, the Hobbit instruction booklets confirmed the new LOTR sets, but this year the booklets confirm another Hobbit wave for the end of 2014. I hope that TLG is just keeping the new wave under wraps...

Could LEGO actually keep info regarding a final LotR wave under wraps to encourage people NOT to save money for it? If I knew that a Gondor Army/ Osgiliath/ Balrog set would be released in July 2014, I would save my LEGO budget for it and not even think about spending money on the current (rater disappointing, in my opinion) Hobbit sets. If, however, I knew that there won't be any more LotR sets, I would be more inclined to purchase one or two of the Hobbit sets.

They could be. I am the same way, if I knew a Gondor Soldier army builder was coming next year and it included some orcs, it would of drastically altered my current purchases. I would of bought way less Gundabad Orcs off of BL (not a direct impact on Lego, but it does affect them), and probably half as many Lake-town Guard polybags.

I assume TLG is just wary of releasing any info which might benefit the competition. Not sure how that would work, and I'd like to see sales info and plans as much as the next guy, but it still seems more legit than them trying to screw over their customers, and I'd give TLG the benefit of the doubt.

They could be. I am the same way, if I knew a Gondor Soldier army builder was coming next year and it included some orcs, it would of drastically altered my current purchases. I would of bought way less Gundabad Orcs off of BL (not a direct impact on Lego, but it does affect them), and probably half as many Lake-town Guard polybags.

Yeah Deathleech but lets face it... it wont HURT you if you save extra money regardless of LOTR wave... you can always spend it on something then...

so asking for LOTR infor to decide if save ot not to save is weird....

Save regardless and you will have ''plenty'' of cash then