General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

A pure battle pack with no named characters would be ideal, but if Lego feels they MUST include at least one like they did in the Uruk-hai Army set then I would be fine with something that looks pretty generic. Faramir in his Gondor garb with a helmet could easily look and serve as a second Gondor soldier if we only got one "real" soldier in the set.

I would buy that kind of LOTR set so fast. Got the Urak-hai army builder pretty early on and something with Gondorian soldiers is something we all agree is a must.

Nooooooo I would never give up LOTR sets for Hobbit sets.

Also agreed. LOTR sets are so much! The worst part about the Hobbit sets is trying to collect all 13 dwarves. The 9 members of the fellowship was hard enough

Bilbo describes the battle despite being knocked out. He retells what was seen by those who were in the battle. It wasn't massive, but Jackson in his folly quest to put the hobbit on the same level as lord of the rings will make it look like all of middle earth is fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if Smaug is in the final battle as well. It's funny how people seem to love the battle scenes when Tolkien was actually trying to show how war is terrible and destructive.

Bilbo describes the battle despite being knocked out. He retells what was seen by those who were in the battle. It wasn't massive, but Jackson in his folly quest to put the hobbit on the same level as lord of the rings will make it look like all of middle earth is fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if Smaug is in the final battle as well. It's funny how people seem to love the battle scenes when Tolkien was actually trying to show how war is terrible and destructive.

Basically the core problem of Hollywood and the movie industry today; it's why after seeing AUJ this year I was really skeptical of all the bid budget, pew pew movies like Pacific Rim and World War Z (both of them actually turned out pretty well, so I guess they kinda count as exceptions). Said problem will probably carry into the next 2 movies :/

Basically the core problem of Hollywood and the movie industry today; it's why after seeing AUJ this year I was really skeptical of all the bid budget, pew pew movies like Pacific Rim and World War Z (both of them actually turned out pretty well, so I guess they kinda count as exceptions). Said problem will probably carry into the next 2 movies :/

I completely agree with you, Hollywood does tend to ruin a lot of good stories. HOWEVER, there are some scenes in LotR and The Hobbit that need that Hollywood touch. The opening of The Two Towers for instance (I paused the movie to come post this). Seeing Gandalf battle the Balrog on my big screen with my house shaking is something you just have to experience visually as they don't really cover it in the book. I love both the books and the movies for their own reason as I'm sure a lot of us do.

Back on topic, we MUST have a Balrog set. Seriously TLG you can't miss the boat on this one.

The more I think about the "Pirate Ship Ambush" set the more optimistic I become about sets including Minas Tirith, Balrog,...

I think we will get the most important characters and scenes from the movies in Lego sets because we also got the pirate ship (which isn't really the most important scene)

Edited by Robert_88

The more I think about the "Pirate Ship Ambush" set the more optimistic I become about sets including Minas Tirith, Balrog,...

I think we will get the most important characters and scenes from the movies in Lego sets because we also got the pirate ship (which isn't really the most important scene)

We got the pirate ship because lego ships sells well.

So that means we might get a Gray Havens Set :wink:

I think also conflict sells well, so nope.

I think also conflict sells well, so nope.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a Frodo's sickbed set as the $13 set next wave.

So that means we might get a Gray Havens Set :wink:

If we do it would probably be as a "last farewell" final exclusive set in the theme ala Diagonal Alley and the Imperial Flagship

Alright, I know a little more precisely what I would like to see...

Fellowship of the Ring

- The Last Alliance: Small diorama, Sauron, Isildur, 2 elves, 1 Numenorean

- The Bridge of Khazad-dûm: The bridge (obviously), some structures on each side, the Balrog, Gandalf and 3 Moria orc archers

- Amon Hen: The main structure (see pic below), some trees, Aragorn, Boromir, Lurtz, 2 uruk-hai scouts (with new helmets)

AmonHen.jpg

The Two Towers

- Treebeard: uruk-hai camp, some trees, Treebeard, Merry, Pippin, Grishnak, 1 uruk-hai scout

- The Golden Hall: Nuju Metru's MOC is pretty great, I'd maybe just replace one of the Rohirrims by one of the King's guards

- Osgiliath Ruins: Some destroyed structures, a Fell beast with a Ringwraith, Frodo, Faramir, 2 rangers

The Return of the King

- The Fall of Osgiliath: some ruins, an orc landing craft, Gothmog, 2 orcs, Madril, 2 Gondorian soldiers

- Siege of Minas Tirith: Minas Tirith gates, orc catapult or siege tower, 1 troll, Gothmog on warg, 3 orcs, Gandalf, Pippin, 2 Gondorian soldiers

- Battle of the Pelennor Fields #1: Mumakil, 4 Haradrims, 1 Haradrim captain, Eomer on his horse

- Battle of the Pelennor Fields #2: Small diorama, Fell beast and Witch King, Eowyn, Merry

Battle Packs

- Rohan: Small watchtower or wooden fence, 2 of the King's guards (including Gamling?), 2 Rohirrims

- Isengard: Battering ram, small ladder, Isengard standard, 1 scout, 2 regular soldiers, 1 berserker

- Lorien: Small Lorien diorama (tree?), 2 archers, 1 swordsman, 1 regular Lorien elf

- Gondor: Trebuchet, 2 rangers, 2 Gondorian soldiers

- Mordor: catapult, either 2 orcs (new deco) + 1 Haradrim + 1 Easterling or 2 orcs + troll or 3 orcs + warg

The Lorien elves and the Rohirrims could maybe be brought together within one single BP.

Edited by Elrond

Fellowship of the Ring:

The Prancing Pony Inn: Something in the style of the Medieval Market Village - a 2 story building that can open up to access the features inside. The lower level would be the bar area with some barrels, tables, and a fireplace for Strider to sit by. The 2nd floor would depict the scene where the Nazgul attempt to stab the hobbits in their sleep. This set would be minifigure intensive, needing at the bar minimum the 4 hobbits, strider (the print that came with weathertop, but with a cloak and hood), a barkeep, and 1 Nazgul. Lego seems to split up the main characters, so it seems unlikely we'll see all 4 hobbits in one set.

The Two Towers:

Meduseld throne room: This would be a smaller set, around the $20 range. It would depict the scene where Theoden is under Saruman's spell, and would include the entranced Theoden, Wormtongue, and Gandalf the White. It would allow for us to get an alternate Theoden figure, plus a way to get Wormtongue without having to shell out for Orthanc. Could also include some banners with Rohan horse iconography.

Return of the King:

Aragorn's coronation: Would depict the scene at the end of the movie. The set would have the courtyard and fountain with the white tree, the statues in the foreground, plus the front of the building (throne room) and doors on the other side. Minifigs would be Aragorn and Arwen in kingly/queenly attire, and some generic Gondorians, some in armor as guards and some in formal attire. Depending on the size of the set, they could also include Elrond and perhaps another Rivendell elf. I think this set would be a good compromise. The fans want Minis Tirith, but I think the scale is too grand to depict either the whole city or the battle of the Pelennor Fields (we already have the black gate battle and a Pelennor Fields set would look similar, a battle in front of a wall).

Aragorns-Coronation.jpg

lotr-rotk-coronation.png

Edited by Ecclesiastes
re-sized picture

I prefer to see the Golden Hall released in its entirety rather than just the throne room as a small set. NujuMetru's version shows it can be done at an affordable price range.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/36278

I agree. If Lego is going to do a Golden Hall, they should do it right. I would guess they could easily do a slightly scaled down version for around $80-100. It could be similar to Bag End except slightly bigger. All they really need is the main throne room/hall as that's where a majority of the action takes place. I really like Nuju's MOC, if Lego did it exactly like that except made the hall slightly bigger and did away with the small house (would rather they focus solely on the hall) I think it would make a perfect set.

Edited by Deathleech

I agree. If Lego is going to do a Golden Hall, they should do it right. I would guess they could easily do a slightly scaled down version for around $80-100. Similar to Bag End except slightly bigger. All they really need is the main throne room/hall as that's where a majority of the action takes place.

As much as I like Rohan, I wouldn't want a set with as much promise as Meduseld replace a Gondorian set, or any other factions/cultures left untouched (Lorién, Morgul, Khazak-Dum, Cirith Ungol etc).

I know Meduseld is desired by many, but I am not sure we would see it due to the following reasons:

(1) Gondor is in bad need of attention, and there may not be many sets left to fill this gap.

(2) A Rohan throne scene technically already exists in the keep of Helms Deep. Another Rohan throne scene would be somewhat redundant. Besides, if they were to depict another throne room, I would think the one in Minas Tirith would be the one many would want to see.

(3) Wormtongue creates a problem. You really have to have him in a Meduseld set, however if you do that, then there is no longer an exclusive minifig in the Orthanc set. As far as I know, Lego usually tries to include at least one exclusive figure in the collector's sets to add to the uniqueness. Some Orthanc owners could feel that their set is "devalued" in a sense.

With a little added disclaimer. I think Edoras is a great location. Some people have made good MOCs of it. The good news is if you have Orthanc and Helms Deep, you have the crucial elements already to make one.

I suppose it is a Zero Sum game in that every set we get keeps us from getting something else. But I don't get that fear that another Rohan set would deprive us of a Gondor set specifically. The Pirate Ship Ambush set as much as anything else deprived us of either.

The Rohan soldiers did not have a consistent appearance which is harder to army build than the uniform look of the Gondor soldiers. Also Rohan fought in the major battles of two movies.

I wish the Gondor faction well and hope you guys get a new helmet mold and awesome printing. I strongly favor a Meduseld set but I won't try to change your mind on what sets you want to champion.

If we see minis tirith I agree it will be a courtyard type scene, much like the lego game. I also don't think we will see anything more of Rohan especially if there is not going to be a fourth wave. The prancing pony would be cool but it too would probably only be seen in a fourth wave. I think much depends on how well the first two waves sell and of course any licensing agreements that were made if we are going to see much more of LoTR. I would love to see about five waves but I get the feeling that we will only see three which is going to,disappoint a great deal of people. So here is hoping the second wave is flying,off the shelves.

As long as we get Shadowfax, WitchKing/Eowyn, Gondor Knights, and a prologue set I'll be content.

But I REALLY want a Mumakil set! I'd buy a couple of those for sure. With probably only 1 more wave remaining, they are leaving quite a few army builders on the table:

-Prologue Elves

-Prologue Knights

-Gondor Knights

-Gondor Rangers

-Helms Deep Elves

-Wildmen of Dunland

-Battle Trolls

-Haradrim

-Easterlings

-Moria Orcs

-Gondor Citadel Guards

I know Meduseld is desired by many, but I am not sure we would see it due to the following reasons:

(1) Gondor is in bad need of attention, and there may not be many sets left to fill this gap.

(2) A Rohan throne scene technically already exists in the keep of Helms Deep. Another Rohan throne scene would be somewhat redundant. Besides, if they were to depict another throne room, I would think the one in Minas Tirith would be the one many would want to see.

(3) Wormtongue creates a problem. You really have to have him in a Meduseld set, however if you do that, then there is no longer an exclusive minifig in the Orthanc set. As far as I know, Lego usually tries to include at least one exclusive figure in the collector's sets to add to the uniqueness. Some Orthanc owners could feel that their set is "devalued" in a sense.

With a little added disclaimer. I think Edoras is a great location. Some people have made good MOCs of it. The good news is if you have Orthanc and Helms Deep, you have the crucial elements already to make one.

I agree that we probably will not see a full Edoras set. The main reason is the structure while gorgeous contributes very little to the story, and hence very little to play value. The conflict and play in Meduseld is that confrontation in the throne room between Gandalf and Wormtongue. . It's a very narrow tight scene. The overall room, Walsh and building contribute little to it. Lego could just as easily capture the scene and the play with a smaller interior bits and bobs type set ala Mines of Moria or If larger is wanted Goblin King.

Of the sets where we have seen more full structures there is normally a bit more play elements or conflict built in. Helm's Deep because the structure is the conflict and play. Weathertop because it is being attacked, and Bag End just in order to reinforce all of the scenes tat happen there, from the round door, to the unexpected party etc. the structure is very built into the scenes.

Edited by Faefrost

I agree that we probably will not see a full Edoras set. The main reason is the structure while gorgeous contributes very little to the story, and hence very little to play value. The conflict and play in Meduseld is that confrontation in the throne room between Gandalf and Wormtongue. . It's a very narrow tight scene. The overall room, Walsh and building contribute little to it. Lego could just as easily capture the scene and the play with a smaller interior bits and bobs type set ala Mines of Moria or If larger is wanted Goblin King.

Of the sets where we have seen more full structures there is normally a bit more play elements or conflict built in. Helm's Deep because the structure is the conflict and play. Weathertop because it is being attacked, and Bag End just in order to reinforce all of the scenes tat happen there, from the round door, to the unexpected party etc. the structure is very built into the scenes.

Agreed, that's why I thought it would be best, and more feasable, for Lego to do just the throne scene as a way to get the possessed version of the Theoden minifig, and a way to get Grima w/o spending a ton of money on Orthanc. They could even do different print to keep the Orthanc version exclusive. The version of Saruman in Orthanc is exclusive as well (has the skirt/robe instead of legs), so there are still exclusives in that set. The cuusoo version linked above is ok, but still looks way too small, especially with the minifigs next to it.

I would prefer some Gondor sets over anything else at this point. Lego needs to do at least one big Gondor city, either (a part of) Minas Tirith or Osgiliath. They also need to go a battle pack/wall add on similar to the Uruk-hai Army except with Mordor Orcs and Gondor Soldiers. I would take these over more Rohan stuff any day of the week. IF the line goes beyond a third wave though, and we get some good Gondor representations, I would love to see a Golden Hall set. I think it would make a perfect set for Lego to do because it's a building they can shrink down and it would still look unique and "complete". It could be missing the back wall and have a removable roof similar to Bag End. This would look fine if Lego wanted to hit a lower price point around $80-100.

Sure it's not the most action packed setting, but neither was Rivendell or Bag End and they still got sets. I could see several scenes and play features being depicted in the Golden Hall anyways. Pippin looking into the Palantir, the feast/celebration after the victory at Helm's Deep, and of course the cleansing of mind controlled Theoden. There could also be several unique characters or outfits, the obvious being sickly looking Theoden, but also Eowyn in a dress and Gamling. Heck, they could even include a wounded Theodred (though unlikely). Lego could also include another generic Rohan soldier or two. I feel like Rohan could use at least 1-2 more generic soldier prints with a new helm. This would probably be better suited for a "proper" battle pack though.

Edited by Deathleech