General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Those are good for Morannon orcs, indeed! Only thing to do there is swap the normal red arms for dark red ones.

They look so much better that way. I've done that to the 4 I ordered from BrickLink and they look fantastic. Unfortunately, I ordered the complete figure and now have all of the extraneous parts that I didn't want to use like the helmet, shoulder pads, horns, and heads.

Also, those pants above are not in the battle pack, which is disappointing. Take a closer look:

pdB4Gwh.jpg

Those pants have a lava pattern on them, rather than the armor. I like the 3 armored torsos (although I have to get a better look at the top 2 to decide), but without the armored pants to go with them I don't think I'll be picking up more than 1 of these.

Some of the newer prints for shields from brickforge are starting to look more LOTR-ish.

https://www.brickforge.com/Military-Shield.html

There is one with a white tree - if only it was more silver or black than gold!

And another one that is very similar to the official Mirkwood elf ones.

Here's hoping they get a bit closer still in future.

...yeah we never got a witch king or balrog but what kid wants a balrog?

Assuming it is done well, the Balrog is way cooler than a cave troll.

Assuming it is done well, the Balrog is way cooler than a cave troll.

I have to agree with you there! But I guess the balrog would be too big to put him in the mines of moria set, also Lego already had the big fig mold so I guess they thought it would work out for the better

I have to agree with you there! But I guess the balrog would be too big to put him in the mines of moria set, also Lego already had the big fig mold so I guess they thought it would work out for the better

Given the subject matter of the Mines of Moria set, it doesn't surprise me that the cave troll was chosen. The fight with the Balrog is certainly dramatic, but the fight with the cave troll is much more dynamic and involves most of the members of the Fellowship, rather than mostly just Gandalf (who was already represented in the smallest set of 2012). Add in the fact that truly representing the Balrog fight would require a much greater emphasis on the setting (a colossal stone bridge which collapses at the climax of the fight, rather than a comparatively cramped tomb that can be represented effectively with just a few brick-built backdrops and setpieces), and the choice between the two seems obvious.

Also, to be honest, it's probably better that way. The Balrog is a huge, somewhat ethereal mass of fire and darkness that can effectively be represented with a custom brick-built construction, even without a dedicated figure mold. The Cave Troll, on the other hand, is a huge and somewhat fleshy organic creature that would probably not look nearly as good as anything other than a bigfig. I imagine if we'd gotten a Balrog and NOT a cave troll, people would be just as upset by the omission, but it'd be that much harder for amazing MOCists to fill that niche with their own custom creations.

Edited by Lyichir

Given the subject matter of the Mines of Moria set, it doesn't surprise me that the cave troll was chosen. The fight with the Balrog is certainly dramatic, but the fight with the cave troll is much more dynamic and involves most of the members of the Fellowship, rather than mostly just Gandalf (who was already represented in the smallest set of 2012). Add in the fact that truly representing the Balrog fight would require a much greater emphasis on the setting (a colossal stone bridge which collapses at the climax of the fight, rather than a comparatively cramped tomb that can be represented effectively with just a few brick-built backdrops and setpieces), and the choice between the two seems obvious.

Also, to be honest, it's probably better that way. The Balrog is a huge, somewhat ethereal mass of fire and darkness that can effectively be represented with a custom brick-built construction, even without a dedicated figure mold. The Cave Troll, on the other hand, is a huge and somewhat fleshy organic creature that would probably not look nearly as good as anything other than a bigfig. I imagine if we'd gotten a Balrog and NOT a cave troll, people would be just as upset by the omission, but it'd be that much harder for amazing MOCists to fill that niche with their own custom creations.

I have to also agree with that for sure! I keep having thoughts about building the balrog but right now I'm currently building the imperial flagship

Would you guys rather have gotten gondor soldiers or Rohan?

I am personally glad to have rohan just because they look AMAZING! But I would have prefered gondor for their helmets and of course the white tree

Neither, I would have wanted a full Hobbit militia...

Actually, I like Rohan better than Gondor.

Gondor. Gondor ones are very specific and uniform with their insignia on the armour / shields and their helmets. Whereas Rohan ones are a mixed bunch, which can be done quite easily with existing torsos and other parts.

I think it would have been better to get gondor because it's easier to make Rohan soldiers as their only non generic piece would be the helmet. I'm just glad we at least got what we did

Glad you like him! Yes, I sculpted the helm, breastplate and mace in ZBrush. My kids are bugging me for a Witch King now!

I think I'll be able to sell this guy in about 3 weeks.

I'd love to see him grace your amazing MOCs!

Before this thread slips off page one and into oblivion, has anyone heard from Theodoric about his Sauron and Witch King items? It seems he hasn't logged in since February.

Ta.

Before this thread slips off page one and into oblivion, has anyone heard from Theodoric about his Sauron and Witch King items? It seems he hasn't logged in since February.

Ta.

I'm here...I became very busy with work. All the pieces are done and painted for Sauron. I just need to cut the capes. Thanks for being patient with me. When its all done I'll post somewhere here.

I'm here...I became very busy with work. All the pieces are done and painted for Sauron. I just need to cut the capes. Thanks for being patient with me. When its all done I'll post somewhere here.

Sweet! Looking forward to it

Awesome, I can't wait to see the final design :) I finished my Tower of Barad-Dur, and it's waiting for it's leader :D LEGO Barad-Dur MOC Complete!!! LEGO Barad-Dur MOC Complete!!!

Shame this topic has been unstickied. A better idea might've been to just rename it to General LEGO LOTR Discussion.

Shame this topic has been unstickied. A better idea might've been to just rename it to General LEGO LOTR Discussion.

True, because this basically all that is talked about on this form

Thanks for letting us know!

I can surely rename the topic for you. But it will remain unstuck as there isn't anything new nor important to all of us Lego History nerds that is being discussed here.

I would much rather have gotten Gondor soldiers. Sure, the Rohan soldiers were nice, but the only ones we really needed were Theoden and Eomer.

I've got a movie-accurate army of over 20 Rohirrim soldiers right now, and it has only one of the official ones in it (alongside Eomer, Theoden and two Royal Guards that both use Eomer legs & helmet)

and another set of the pieces mixed on another soldier, but most of them are custom, and could otherwise also easily be portrayed using other existing LEGO parts. They're a really mixed bunch so you don't ever need an actual uniform on them.

Gondorian soldiers, on the other hand, are a completely different story...

I can surely rename the topic for you. But it will remain unstuck as there isn't anything new nor important to all of us Lego History nerds that is being discussed here.

Please do this. Change the name to General LEGO LOTR discussion and leave it unsticky. There is still occasional LOTR talk but nothing new coming (or in the near future) so this makes perfect sense.

Saw to my surprise that one of our local supermarkets still had the old Hobbit Greenleaf Legolas polybags (never seen them anywhere else here in Sweden) for next to nothing so I bought all them just in case, I believe there was seven of them atleast. And got my hands on the Pirate Ship Ambush-set some weeks ago and guessing thats the last of LOTR for a very long time from Lego.