General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

One thought that hasn't been mentioned I don't think: there haven't yet been any Hobbit sets to approach the size of Helm's Deep and Orthanc. I think at some point we are going to see one or two very large sets come out of this line, and would have to be released sometime in the next two waves probably. The prospect of something really big coming along excites me. I am re-reading the book right now for the first time in years and assume it would have to be a big set piece from something in the final two movies. If Dol Guldur, Dale, or some other large fortress could be released in a $150-$250 set that would be great. I love building the giant sets. With the addition of Helm's Deep and Orthanc to the LOTR line, I think it's only a matter of time before we see something large from the Hobbit that dwarfs the Goblin King set.

One thought that hasn't been mentioned I don't think: there haven't yet been any Hobbit sets to approach the size of Helm's Deep and Orthanc. I think at some point we are going to see one or two very large sets come out of this line, and would have to be released sometime in the next two waves probably. The prospect of something really big coming along excites me. I am re-reading the book right now for the first time in years and assume it would have to be a big set piece from something in the final two movies. If Dol Guldur, Dale, or some other large fortress could be released in a $150-$250 set that would be great. I love building the giant sets. With the addition of Helm's Deep and Orthanc to the LOTR line, I think it's only a matter of time before we see something large from the Hobbit that dwarfs the Goblin King set.

I dont think we'll get a big Dol Guldur, and I don't want it, it's design Doesen't lend itself to a fantastic lego set. They could give us a big Laketown but that seems unlikely now.

Also keep in mind Ortanc size, is a special thing.

Edited by deskp

I think if they are to do a huge Hobbit theme set, it will probably be one centered around the dragon. That is the core focal point of the book and the movies. The big looming threat. Plus it is something really really different. Something that they have not done before in a large set. A huge organic creature set. Plus like Orthanc it lets them do a huge set without the expectation of a huge army of minifigs. At best a Dale / BO5A set or a Dol Gulder set would mostly be Helm's Deep in another form. A large battle against a fortress. If they were to do another single large set of that nature than honestly LotR's Gondor is the far better, more iconic and more desired subject. Plus it at least has a nice distinct color pallet to differentiate it.

Maybe a large Erebor Playset? Kind of like the LR Silver Mine, but on a scale of the Deathstar or Ewok Village. The gates and steps and secret entrance on the front, and the back with the throne room, treasure hall, forges, secret passage, etc and the dragon sitting inside it? A full company of 13 Dwarves and Bilbo, all in battle armor.

Okay firstly here is a set idea that I think will never happen:

Goblin Town battle pack: (£12)

4x Goblin soilders and A bridge that can connect to the Goblin King Battle set. One side will be low and the other will be high (if you have the set you'll now what I mean).

This next idea is one which I think is possible:

Dol Guldor battle: (£100)

Gandalf, Radagast, Saruman, Gladriel, The Necromancer, 4x Orcs.

Small accessories will be a catapult and Radagst's bunny sleigh :grin:. The main part of the set will be a very large fortress that has lots of sections that collapse (as if they were broken by magic) and a section of the wall were the Necromancer can pop out of. This could be the flagship of this years wave with a Smaug set as the second largest.

I still hope for a brick build Smaug, like the creator dragon. But bigger and better designed. Just imagine they do an ucs Smaug. Just Smaug and perhaps a little treasure-hill to keep an eye on.

I just hope atleast 1 of Hobbit sets is as good as Unexpected Gathering....

its the only good set from Hobbit wave so far... and laketown set looks lame...

If the winter sets will be as bad as 1st wave (apart from gathering) then this year my wallet will rest alot since castle 2013 sucks anyway.

Anyway I wish they make a good set containing Radagast... preferably a 14.99€ set with Radagast and him curing the hedgehog (i think) that would be an awesome set and I would finally get a brown wizard!

I also wish they would make huge Erebor battle playset in last wave that would be like 200€ (like Orthanc) set with 2500 pieces and about 15 figures - Gandalf, Bilbo, Bard, 3-6 goblins, 1 warg, Thorin and fili/kili in golden armor version (or chromed armor!) Beorn in bear form only Thraundil and 1 human swordsman/spearman and 1 elvish archer

That would truly rock!

I just hope atleast 1 of Hobbit sets is as good as Unexpected Gathering....

its the only good set from Hobbit wave so far... and laketown set looks lame...

While I share your opinion about the Laketown set, I beg to differ about Hobbit Wave 1 only having Bag End as good set. The Goblin King battle is a great set... with minor modifications (3 hinge bricks and a few technic bricks and other basic parts to connect the components). Very easy to do.

The other 4 sets (apart from Riddles) are decent.

castle 2013 sucks anyway.

Yep. I"d rather they hadn't released ANY castle sets at all while the LOTR license is active and instead concentrate on it.

I also wish they would make huge Erebor battle playset in last wave that would be like 200€ (like Orthanc) set with 2500 pieces and about 15 figures - Gandalf, Bilbo, Bard, 3-6 goblins, 1 warg, Thorin and fili/kili in golden armor version (or chromed armor!) Beorn in bear form only Thraundil and 1 human swordsman/spearman and 1 elvish archer

That would truly rock!

That would be good (especially since we'd get a huge dwarven fortress), but the downside to that would be no huge brick-built Smaug. :dangry:

Edited by SheepEater

And did it ever occur to you that maybe one of the reasons Castle 2013 wasn't as involved as Kingdoms or Castle 2007 is because Lord of the Rings is around and requires resources too? Personally, I've had enough of licensed sets. I did buy some of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets, but I'm starting to feel like Lego is just riding its licensed sets and isn't putting effort into its original themes (including Castle).

And did it ever occur to you that maybe one of the reasons Castle 2013 wasn't as involved as Kingdoms or Castle 2007 is because Lord of the Rings is around and requires resources too? Personally, I've had enough of licensed sets. I did buy some of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets, but I'm starting to feel like Lego is just riding its licensed sets and isn't putting effort into its original themes (including Castle).

Oooosh, I don't think you're in the right thread. Yet Im gonan respond to it! Except for the 2013 castle sets, The rest of legos themes have been of their normal standard. And and it's not like castle and lotr is using the same team..

As has been said over and over. lotR's really does have practically nothing to do with the Castle theme in Lego's rotation and resources. Unlike PotC which directly replaced the non licensed Pirates theme. LotR/Hobbit did not replace Castle. It replaced Harry Potter, and took those overall resources. Helms Deep is the equivalent of Hogwarts.

While I share your opinion about the Laketown set, I beg to differ about Hobbit Wave 1 only having Bag End as good set. The Goblin King battle is a great set... with minor modifications (3 hinge bricks and a few technic bricks and other basic parts to connect the components). Very easy to do.

The other 4 sets (apart from Riddles) are decent.

The thing is Bag End really looked great or almost amazing on display, cannot share the same for Goblin King battle.... and just that comic implementation of Goblin king in movie makes it less good to own the set in my opinion. Goblin king battle is an average set in line of Mines of Moria... Only the dwarves are saving it just like Cave Troll and Boromir are saving Mines...

That would be good (especially since we'd get a huge dwarven fortress), but the downside to that would be no huge brick-built Smaug.

Well i expect 3-4 hobbit waves so I expect we can easily get Smaug in wave 3 or final set UCS Orthanc type...

As has been said over and over. lotR's really does have practically nothing to do with the Castle theme in Lego's rotation and resources. Unlike PotC which directly replaced the non licensed Pirates theme. LotR/Hobbit did not replace Castle. It replaced Harry Potter, and took those overall resources. Helms Deep is the equivalent of Hogwarts.

I dont understand how LOTR can be Harry Potter 2.... When were there armies of thousand people fighting in armor with swords and shields on a field in Harry Potter.... Hogwarts Castle is Castle only by NAME and nothing else...

And if we conclude that Castle 2013 has Dragons (Fell beasts) and a little wizards (Saruman, Gandalf) it is safe to assume LOTR is a castle theme more than its a Harry Potter type of theme...

I hated Harry Potter books, but i read LOTR 100s of times... That alone says its not so much comparable... The only common ground these 2 series have is science fiction and fantasy, but Harry Potter number 1 thing is still sorcery while LOTR number 1 thing is a journey in Medieval setting not sorcery (if we exclude that ring is a ''magical entities work'') The main antagonist is a wizard (like in HP franchise) but the main antagonist of Castle 2013 is ALSO a wizard....

I am having a hard time connecting all of this. LOTR is like 60% castle and 40% Fantasy line especially if we look on the sets, way more castle-ish than HP every was

I think a large brick built Smaug would be a win for the Lego group. It would appeal to Hobbit fans as well as the casual Lego buyer (I mean seriously, who wouldn't want to build a giant Lego dragon?!) I would be disappointed if they gave us a "Hungarian Horntail" version of Smaug.

I dont understand how LOTR can be Harry Potter 2.... When were there armies of thousand people fighting in armor with swords and shields on a field in Harry Potter.... Hogwarts Castle is Castle only by NAME and nothing else...

And if we conclude that Castle 2013 has Dragons (Fell beasts) and a little wizards (Saruman, Gandalf) it is safe to assume LOTR is a castle theme more than its a Harry Potter type of theme...

I hated Harry Potter books, but i read LOTR 100s of times... That alone says its not so much comparable... The only common ground these 2 series have is science fiction and fantasy, but Harry Potter number 1 thing is still sorcery while LOTR number 1 thing is a journey in Medieval setting not sorcery (if we exclude that ring is a ''magical entities work'') The main antagonist is a wizard (like in HP franchise) but the main antagonist of Castle 2013 is ALSO a wizard....

I am having a hard time connecting all of this. LOTR is like 60% castle and 40% Fantasy line especially if we look on the sets, way more castle-ish than HP every was

If you read the post that he was replying to, you'd understand that what Deskp was getting at was that the LOTR theme replaced Harry Potter by shuffling around the employees and designers from the latter to the former; in terms of size and magnitude, Helm's Deep is similar to Hogwarts in that respect (1368 to 1290, which is the 2007 incarnation). He wasn't directly saying the two of them were copies of one another, so please read the posts correctly before you blatantly criticize people.

If you read the post that he was replying to, you'd understand that what Deskp was getting at was that the LOTR theme replaced Harry Potter by shuffling around the employees and designers from the latter to the former; in terms of size and magnitude, Helm's Deep is similar to Hogwarts in that respect (1368 to 1290, which is the 2007 incarnation). He wasn't directly saying the two of them were copies of one another, so please read the posts correctly before you blatantly criticize people.

I was criticising the theme comparison not the person...

if only you read correctly also

Edited by Alcarin

I was criticising the theme comparison not the person...

if only you read correctly also

He wasn't directly comparing the themes, only saying that Lotr was put in just as Harry Potter was heading out the door and thus more TLG resources were moved to that. The only 'comparison' he even made was about the sizes of those two sets.

Edit: and if you really wanna this ridiculously specific, maybe next time I'll say 'blatantly criticize people for what they say' which basically amounts to the same thing when it comes to forums.

Edited by Leo Crimson

He wasn't directly comparing the themes, only saying that Lotr was put in just as Harry Potter was heading out the door and thus more TLG resources were moved to that. The only 'comparison' he even made was about the sizes of those two sets.

Edit: and if you really wanna this ridiculously specific, maybe next time I'll say 'blatantly criticize people for what they say' which basically amounts to the same thing when it comes to forums.

No it is never the same really...

if i say you're fat i'm criticizing YOU but if i say your decision is dumb I am not saying you're dumb just criticizing the decision, now you can take it personal and say that means you're dumb but only a dumb person would do that or over sensitive and then if you take it as personal you are kinda agreeing with it also lol.

How does he know more res from HP were moved to LOTR ? maybe those resources were moved to Hobbit or to Castle 2013...

unless he has valid source of how TLG spreads its resources i see no point claiming anything. Its pure speculation from his part.

And as i see he is not banned so he can come here explaining and offering us sources of where he got his reliable info

He seems very knowledgable and KNOWS that LOTR replaced HP and i would like some official statement on that.

No it is never the same really...

if i say you're fat i'm criticizing YOU but if i say your decision is dumb I am not saying you're dumb just criticizing the decision, now you can take it personal and say that means you're dumb but only a dumb person would do that or over sensitive and then if you take it as personal you are kinda agreeing with it also lol.

How does he know more res from HP were moved to LOTR ? maybe those resources were moved to Hobbit or to Castle 2013...

unless he has valid source of how TLG spreads its resources i see no point claiming anything. Its pure speculation from his part.

And as i see he is not banned so he can come here explaining and offering us sources of where he got his reliable info

He seems very knowledgable and KNOWS that LOTR replaced HP and i would like some official statement on that.

We know atleast that the set designers are the same for LOTR and HOBBIT, Thats all I have to add, cheers!

That would be good (especially since we'd get a huge dwarven fortress), but the downside to that would be no huge brick-built Smaug. :dangry:

Well, I think we all (just me? :look: ) know what Smaug will look like:

70403-LEGO-Castle-Dragon-Mountain-Summer-2013-Set-with-LEGO-Dragon-e1367596829403.jpg

Edited by Lego Spy

LEGO would change the head and tail molds at the very least. Still I have faith that TLG would do a new design for Smaug.

Lets hope Smaug isn't a stock variation of the castle dragon. I am hoping for a little bit more of a dark "mature" look if that makes sense.

^ I think both the look and size are too far off, we need a "mature" look yes and it needs to be bigger like the T-Rex

Yerk, I don't hope so. I hope something more mature too, this is why a brickbuild dragon would be better than a modled one.

Edited by N7LEGO

The word mature just got used in 3 consecutive posts, nbd....

And judging by this:

Thehobbit-smaug-blog630-jpg_201437.jpg

Smaug, if brick-built, would have the length of maybe a small desk. Throw in gold pieces and some dwarven architecture and we've got a rather expensive set.

Ok then, maybe more along one of these:

student_desk_and_chair_single_student_desk_school_desk_school_chairEP-SF25F.jpg

Probably a bit smaller than that too.