General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I think what the others meant was that Lego would probably not release a LotR-Set (no matter if it came from Ideas in the first place) as part of the "ideas"-Productline, but instead put it into the already existing LotR-Line, like Orthanc.

Getting the 10.000 Votest on the ideas-Site and making them Lego-Guys think about some new LotR-Sets should be the easiest part:-)

I think Ideas is a great way to show the Company that there are still many great Possibilities for LotR -and other themes- and more than enough people that would love to see it happen (and pay for it of course;-)

Yeah. I keep checking daily for the latest numbers. I am looking forward to when it finally reaches 10,000.

It's my only hope that Lego realizes that there is life left in this theme. Like others have said, I do not think it will be produced as an Ideas set, but maybe as a D2C set like the Sandcrawler, Tumbler, etc.

Yeah. I keep checking daily for the latest numbers. I am looking forward to when it finally reaches 10,000.

It's my only hope that Lego realizes that there is life left in this theme. Like others have said, I do not think it will be produced as an Ideas set, but maybe as a D2C set like the Sandcrawler, Tumbler, etc.

I believe there was a sandcrawler that reached 10000 on Lego Ideas, and Lego ended up making it into a set so hopefully the same will happen with Minas Tirith.

I guess it also will be a license thing. If TLG doesn't own the license anymore it'll be hard to produce any LOTR set. So let's hope they hold the license for another few years.

I guess it also will be a license thing. If TLG doesn't own the license anymore it'll be hard to produce any LOTR set. So let's hope they hold the license for another few years.

They dont need to HOLD the lisence, they can get it for one more set if they want to. unless some other building company is making deals obviously.

I was just looking on Lego Ideas and LOTR/Hobbit have four of the top ten "popular this week" projects on Lego's main page

#2 - Minas Tirith

#4 - Osgiliath

#6 - Lothlorien (Also currently the staff pick)

#10 - Dale

Looks like the popularity of LOTR/Hobbit is increasing on Lego Ideas.

Edited by Bycougars

Supported Nuju's Minas Tirith..

Everybody here should support it. This is by far the best shot we have of getting at least one last final set.

I believe there was a sandcrawler that reached 10000 on Lego Ideas, and Lego ended up making it into a set so hopefully the same will happen with Minas Tirith.

Actually they rejected the Sandcrawler Ideas/CuuSoo project because of a conflict with a pre existing license. They already had the current Sandcrawler in the design process (it takes about 2 years from design to release), plus the current one is a new version of one they did a few years ago.

Pre - existing licenses are very complex and can actually make an Ideas project much more difficult, not actually easier. A LotR project faces even more complications as it would likely not only involve a pre-existing license, but also require extending or re-establishing an expiring license as it comes to an end. I hate to say it, but I can't see them jumping through so many hoops for an Ideas project. Especially when it is likely that they already examined the business case for further Middle Earth subjects, and already elected to not continue the line.

At this point, irregardless of how good a set, model or project it is, any LotR Ideas project will face a very very tough review situation.

The trouble is, I'm not sure any amount of support on ideas will be enough to convince Lego to revive the LOTR line if the company already has experience of lacklustre sales behind it. It's no mystery that Tolkien has an extremely enthusiastic hardcore following, but Lego are probably looking for a broader audience. They will probably be informed by their past experience with the brand how well 10,000 supporters will convert into gross sales and that simply may not be enough.

Considering there are already sets out there on the market, surely the best thing someone can do to show Lego that the LOTR/Hobbit line has legs is to go out and buy those products.

The trouble is, I'm not sure any amount of support on ideas will be enough to convince Lego to revive the LOTR line if the company already has experience of lacklustre sales behind it.

Not necessarily. If they REALLY wanna do a good job of analyzing things thoroughly, they will go on a set-by-set basis and conclude that it's their own fault, and LOTR Wave 2 who had lackluster sales, because the sets themselves were "meh".

LOTR Wave 1 (and Orthanc) rocked everybody's world, and that Minas Tirith set is poised to do the same. If a set is good, it WILL sell.

Look at Wave 1 of The Hobbit. Did anyone really had ANY doubt at all which set from that wave was going to sell like hot cakes?

It ain't rocket science.

Edited by SheepEater

Not necessarily. If they REALLY wanna do a good job of analyzing things thoroughly, they will go on a set-by-set basis and conclude that it's their own fault, and LOTR Wave 2 who had lackluster sales, because the sets themselves were "meh".

LOTR Wave 1 (and Orthanc) rocked everybody's world, and that Minas Tirith set is poised to do the same. If a set is good, it WILL sell.

Look at Wave 1 of The Hobbit. Did anyone really had ANY doubt at all which one of them was going to sell like hot cakes?

It ain't rocket science.

I would have to agree with you. Lego has made a couple really good sets (Orthanc and Bag End) that have sold very well and others that have sold very poorly(because of poor design). I think that Minas Tirith would probably sell almost as well as Orthanc, it would also be a nice replacement for Orthanc when it gets retired.

I honestly think it would be cool for Lego to start an ultimate collector series LOTR line and just release one or two large sets every year.

Yeah I think a lot of people would be happy if LOTR took the route of Simpsons with big D2C and CMF. If Orthanc did sell well why not make another D2C.

Much more better will be if we get whole third wave .. I thing that Lego company has to know that there are many fans of the line and Minas tirith and other Projects on ideas are proof.. Also, I just picked up Corsair ship yesterday, and that set makes me feel desperate about LOTR line - in a way that I need more sets :)

Personaly I would like to see Osgiiath and Harlond (more gondor) and possibly Easterling/Haradrim and more dead soldiers... Three (with king) is not enough :D

Besides, I dont know why Pirate Ship ambush set is for most of LOTR fans a useless set, because I thing that whole ship with the figs is just superb. Only compain is about the sails, but I will mod those masts and add riging (as I did with my Black Pearl) and then the ship will be perfect.

Honestly I'd already be over the moon if one Minas Tirith set is made. One Gondorian soldier is all I need :sweet:

LOTR Wave 1 (and Orthanc) rocked everybody's world

Did it?

I seem to recall quite a few "meh" comments on multiple forums about both Weathertop and Mines of Moria at the time. Then only looking back after what came later did these sets turn out to be better than they were originally.

thats not entirely true.. I thing that both 1st and 2nd wave were good. From the 1st wave I prefer mostly Helms deep + add on (together), Weathertop, Orc forge, Gandalf arrives (Mines are quite good because of selection of figs, but the structure itself doesnt brings anything interesting but the pieces maybe... and Shelob Attacks is just about Shelob, no structure at all) 2nd wave brought 3 nice buildings (not counting wizard attack) + Orthanc. Black gate Council and Ship are quite good sets. We miss only Gondor faction so there is still space for third wave/P one last set, so we will see, if at least one gondor soldier + one ranger came out, possibly with the missing characters (Eowyn, Faramir, Whitch King and rehash of the old characters like Pippin Merry and possibly Frodo and Sam in Mordor garbs.

What I am trying to say is that I dont understand those complaints about the 2nd wave sets. We miss some key figures yes, but that doesnt means that those sets are bad. We can agree on the presumption that there should be third wave and maybe TLG planned to create one, but maybe they decide to sell the Hobbit sets first and acording to sales they possibly continue to finish LOTR.

Minas itrith is clearly a proff that there is stil demand for LOTR lineas I said previously...

9475 is also missing in the number sequence for LOTR, although this is the same number as a much older set. Same with the poly bags, 30214.

I doubt we will ever see them filled.

Honestly I'd already be over the moon if one Minas Tirith set is made. One Gondorian soldier is all I need :sweet:

Yeah.. It's the figs we really need. Just a few more crucial, like Gondor Soldiers, Faramir, Eowyn, Witch-King.. I Mean, it's cool to get buildings, balrogs or fell beasts but you can easily MOC them.. I don't want to get custom figs tough.