General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

definitely a dead horse. I've been depressed with the direction lego has went. So, i sold my whole collection. I dont not own a single brick.

You gave up a hobby because they are no longer producing LOTR sets? Surely you should have held on to the main characters of the Fellowship.

On the contrary, I would imagine that the chief differences between an AFOL and a younger user on Ideas in terms of discriminating sets would be realism and practicality. It's easier for an adult who perhaps has a more acute eye for economics, brand identity and strategy to imagine what Lego might realistically produce. I haven't backed a single thing that I thought had no chance of being developed, regardless of how impressive the build was.

That giant Minas Tirith is impressive and beautiful, but it's an impressive and beautiful MOC; it's just not a Lego set.

I am not saying to demand a million $ set cos it looks good, but the set with most votes is pretty ugly......... i supported only 1 of the sets, that met my standards (minimum ones) for a LEGO Minas Tirith, and refuse to support anything else, regardless of the goal................................... LEGO ideas are meant to be for you to support vote for sets YOU LIKE not what you calculate over parameters of chances and so on and on..........

To be fair, the difference between submitted ideas and actual sets has been quite big in some cases (e.g. Ghostbusters).

I don't think the Tower of Orthanc being retired really helps our case I think Lego tend to do more runs on these sets that sell well and they keep them around longer, although I didn't even hear it was gone and it didn't go on sale. It looked to sell well to being with but nothing like the tumbler. I would have thought it would have stayed as long as they were sets around including hobbit sets.

Edit: never mind its not retired :blush:

Edited by SMC

i supported only 1 of the sets, that met my standards (minimum ones) for a LEGO Minas Tirith, and refuse to support anything else, regardless of the goal................................... LEGO ideas are meant to be for you to support vote for sets YOU LIKE not what you calculate over parameters of chances and so on and on..........

I think the point you're missing is that the focus of this discussion is about actually trying to get a Minas Tirith set accepted by Ideas so there's even a chance TLG might consider it as a real set. (however remote that chance may be)

I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with you supporting the other one that you like better out of principle; they're saying it would be more productive for you to support the other one as well because it's the only real chance at one ever being made.

What doesn't make sense is trash-talking the popular set that already has some attention from TLG and appears to have a very good chance of reaching the 10k threshold. Saying you refuse to vote for it simply because you think the other one is better seems kind of petty. The other set is great, but it's size makes it ultimately negligible in this particular discussion.

Minas Tirith is now past 8000 votes on Lego Ideas. Hopefully it can get the last 2000 quickly.

Yeah, it would be great if it could make it there by the end of the next review period at the end of the year.

I don't think the Tower of Orthanc being retired really helps our case I think Lego tend to do more runs on these sets that sell well and they keep them around longer, although I didn't even hear it was gone and it didn't go on sale. It looked to sell well to being with but nothing like the tumbler. I would have thought it would have stayed as long as they were sets around including hobbit sets.

They are still selling it here in the U.S. it is available on Lego.com, at my local Lego store, and is also still available from Target, Wal-mart, and Amazon.

They are still selling it here in the U.S. it is available on Lego.com, at my local Lego store, and is also still available from Target, Wal-mart, and Amazon.

Sorry still on UK site too just not in stock, on brickset where it says when it has been sold on lego.com it had an end date.

I am not saying to demand a million $ set cos it looks good, but the set with most votes is pretty ugly......... i supported only 1 of the sets, that met my standards (minimum ones) for a LEGO Minas Tirith, and refuse to support anything else, regardless of the goal................................... LEGO ideas are meant to be for you to support vote for sets YOU LIKE not what you calculate over parameters of chances and so on and on..........

Supporting NujuMetrus MT is now as much a vote of confidence in the Middle Earth themes as a vote for the build itself. If you want TLG to at least take a glance at LotR/Hobit, your best change is helping push this MT to 10 000 votes.

Not to mention that if it passes review, the designerswill likely change it, perhaps more to your liking.

It won't matter what passes review (unless the specified designers have the stock pieces/knowledge of paramters they need to follow) when designing it, the LEGO designers will change it. Nothing is safe. Nothing will get transferred 100%. So no matter what Minas Tirith passes into the review stage, it will change. I highly doubt it will get picked, mostly due to size (which looking at the other two large DC/Marvel builds likely not passing) doesn't bode well for another large set.

I did support it to help push it along because I'd love more LOTR sets. But with my interest in the Hobbit fizzled and the movie nearing the end, I doubt they'd want to bring back this waste of a license. That sounds harsh, but I don't think anyone has cared about the toy license with Middle Earth from my understanding.

Edit: Maybe LEGO will throw us a bone and put a Gondor soldier in the LEGO Movie 2 :wink: . But I don't see how they'd get the license to throw them together. Just a joking speculation to help fuel the fire from all of the other die-hards here.

Edited by TheLegoDr

At this point I would agree with anyone that a third wave is not likely and it wouldn't benefit TLG as far as sales go. However, I think that a large Minas Tirith set would sell very well to AFOL and the one set by itself wouldn't take up that much shelf space for LEGO. Also with the Tower of Orthanc being a pretty good seller, I think this would be a great replacement set for Orthanc when it is retired.

I think we all would be okay with some kind of exclusive Theme killing playset of Minas Tirith.

Imagine like Death Star but smaller, just so we can get the last essential characters..

I recomend to get Orthanc set as soon as you can, its hard to find item, and I assume that soon will retire shelves... I give him time till spring max.

I would have supported this but I already too many Gandalfs.

We might get to 10k for the Mina's Tirith by the end of the month.

I think we all would be okay with some kind of exclusive Theme killing playset of Minas Tirith.

Imagine like Death Star but smaller, just so we can get the last essential characters..

Yes, Minas Tirith would be a nice touch to finish off the theme and get the last of the missing charcters.

If anything maybe the recent bionicle news may help generate parts for a balrog...

Good point maybe we can get bionicle parts to custom make the Balrog.

I totally agree with you atreyu2112. It's great to see the Minas Tirith set on Ideas gaining so much momentum, (currently two away from 8600 - Awesome!), but the "missing set" that I want to see made is the Balrog.

And I understand the feelings about getting another Gandalf the Grey, but ever since this theme launched, I've been waiting for my own Lego Balrog.

I really like the one from the game and fully expected an ABS one to follow. IMO, the most famous line from the entire trilogy is from the Bridge of Khazad dum. We all know the one!

I'm still stubbornly holding out hope that we will get a few more sets. (believe me, I know it's very unlikely), but I too would like to see Gondor represented. We need Faramir, Eowyn, armored Witch King, Fell Beast and a proper Treebeard.

A Balrog would be cool, however if we just get 4 more sets other are more important..

A small Witch-King Battle style set "Last Alliance" with Sauron, Isildur and Elendil (or Elrond)

One Gondor battle pack, with Faramir, gondor soldier and some orcs.

A Pelennors Field set with Witch-King of Angmar, Eowyn, Thedeon/Snowmane. Throw in Merry in Rohan gear if you like.

A large Minas Tirith-ish set, with more Gondor Soldiers, etc. Maybe a Battle Troll? Throw in Pippin in Gondor gear if you like.

But I do agree that it'd be cool with a Balrog-set for a fifth set!