General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I hope to see: sauron (vs. isildur?), The balrog sequence and something with the witch king. Then I'll be happy.

We all hope to see a Balrog set. The Witch King and Eowyn is also a no-brainer. The Battle of Pelenor Fields, with an Oliphaunt, Grond, and the Gates of Minas Tirith would be a great $100-$150 set.

Beyond that, we need a Galadriel minifig. I expect a "Council of Elrond"-sized set, with the Mirror of Galadriel scene and maybe Celeborn. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gimli minifig and a "Gimli snoring" action piece. ("Press the lever to catapult Gimli out of bed!") AFOLs will use the set to convert the Ewok Village to Lothlorien.

Faramir, in either an Osgiliath or Ithilien playset. Preferably Ithilien, since more interesting scenes play out there. TLC could do the Rangers of Ithilien vs. the Oliphaunt ("Flick-fire missles from the Oliphaunt's howdah!"), or the Secret Ithilien Retreat (with waterfall and pool - "Press the lever to catapult Gollum into the pool!").

Minas Morgul would also be good. Maybe the front gate, with the Stairs of Cirith Ungol nearby; or maybe a "Sam rescues Frodo" playset post-Shelob.

Ragnar

We all hope to see a Balrog set.

Alot of people do, I however do not.

I think we have enough Gimli and Gandalf minifigs in sets by now. Bring on Gondor!

Alot of people do, I however do not.

I think we have enough Gimli and Gandalf minifigs in sets by now. Bring on Gondor!

I would like one for the Balrog model and maybe some extra Moria Orcs (with the cool, unique helm.. probably wishful thinking though), but I agree the inevitable Gandalf it would include would not be welcome in any way. I doubt they would include a Gimli in a Balrog set. I would rather get Gondor themed stuff than a Balrog set, but it would be a shame for Lego to pass up doing such an iconic, epic LotR creature.

I suppose many AFOLs would be disappointed, but I think Gandalf vs. Balrog set would work best if it packed all the oomph to the balrog build and included only Gandalf as a minifigure. Goblins and other members of the fellowship... they don't matter in that scene, they would be just a distraction to the design and hike up the price unnecessarily (leaving room for such medium-to-large sets that really do need minifigures and/or substantial scenery). And maybe, just maybe, if the balrog would be awesome enough, most of us could appreciate the set for what it is and not just see it as a failed opportunity to get more minifigs.

The gandalf and Gimli comment wasnt nessecarily to do with the balrog.

I find the flame and smoke to be fairly essential with the balrog, cuse of that no toy version has looked right.

I suppose many AFOLs would be disappointed, but I think Gandalf vs. Balrog set would work best if it packed all the oomph to the balrog build and included only Gandalf as a minifigure. Goblins and other members of the fellowship... they don't matter in that scene, they would be just a distraction to the design and hike up the price unnecessarily (leaving room for such medium-to-large sets that really do need minifigures and/or substantial scenery). And maybe, just maybe, if the balrog would be awesome enough, most of us could appreciate the set for what it is and not just see it as a failed opportunity to get more minifigs.

Yes. Yesyesyes. You deserve an upvote.

I would like to see:

- Balrog

- White Tree (Guards of Gondor as minifigures)

- Grond (in addition to the Gates of Minas Tirith)

- Golden Hall of Edoras

- Dead Marshes

- Minas Tirith (10xxx)

- Lothlorien (10xxx)

- Argonath (10xxx)

- Argonath (10xxx)

uffff that would be hell of a build... even if we get 1 and instructions for both (that can be built from same set) just buying twice... imagine the epic 2000 structure as D2C set!

I'm not sure about Dead Marshes; Shelob Attacks already features Frodo, Sam, and Gollum, and the only thing that really stood out in that area during TT was the water scene and the Nazgul searching the marshes.

To be honest, other than some Gondor sets and Eowyn there is really only one thing I miss badly:

I want armoured dwarves! With long filthy beards over heavy plate armour and real warhammers. They would rock so much.

(A beard to fit over plate armour is needed anyway and would be useful for many themes, not just Tolkien).

Edited by Flieger

To be honest, other than some Gondor sets and Eowyn there is really only one thing I miss badly:

I want armoured dwarves! With long filthy beards over heavy plate armour and real warhammers. They would rock so much.

(A beard to fit over plate armour is needed anyway and would be useful for many themes, not just Tolkien).

You had those in Fantasy Castle line some years ago.... only the helmets are a little off for tolkien universe dwarfs rest they are pretty 100% copy of what you need.

Unless I forgot a big deal, there were no beards that would fit over plate armour. To clarify what I am talking about:

I would like to do this:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2emimpg.jpg

Therefore I need armour like this:

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4611881

And a beard like these:

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4518470

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=6002819

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4518468

However, armour and beard do not fit together.

As I mentioned before I would very much like a beard that can be fitted over (physical) armour, not just a beard over a torso (with printed armour). This would not only be useful for LotR/Hobbit, but also generally for historical&fantastic themes.

You had those in Fantasy Castle line some years ago.... only the helmets are a little off for tolkien universe dwarfs rest they are pretty 100% copy of what you need.

But the fantasy dwarfs are under-armored. I agree with Flieger that a way to combine beards and armor would be a great step forward - I would even take a beard+armor mould. Im holding out hope that the designers will come up with a solution for the Battle of Five Armies sets. I would also like a method to combine beards and hoods. Otherwise, I do think that the the fantasy dwarf helmets without wings are pretty accurate for ME dwarves.

On another note, while I do hope for Gondor sets, I wonder whether the next LotR wave wont focus on fellowship character weve only seen once - namely Boromir (in an Amon Hen set or thrown ninto a Balrog set) and the three supporting Hobbits (easy to combine with Gondor sets, or a Mt Doom set for Sam). That way, kids who missed out on the fellowship from 2 years before this next wave will have another crack at collecting them all.

Dwalin's beard is made with helmets in mind, im pretty sure we won't be seeing figures with armor and beard, the beard would stick out too much or may be too thin to accomadate for the armor.

Dwalin's beard is good because it's fairly generic and it's short so it shows offf the torso print. And would therefor be a good option for generic dwarves. If lego make Erebor dwarves I'm guessing they will reuse the gimli helmet mold, cause except for the face bit it's pretty similar in shape.

However the bo5a dwarves are fom the iron hills and will have a different design.

I would even take a beard+armor mould. Im holding out hope that the designers will come up with a solution for the Battle of Five Armies sets.

Me too, although a two piece solution would be more flexible. And I agree that Lego will have to address the issue when it comes to the 5-army-battle...

Dwalin's beard is made with helmets in mind

Lego so far has not made any beards to be worn in combatination with plate armour, that is the problem. But sooner or later, they must, unless we are to go with underarmoured dwarves...

Lego so far has not made any beards to be worn in combatination with plate armour, that is the problem. But sooner or later, they must, unless we are to go with underarmoured dwarves...

To keep the dwarves small, it would serve lego well to give everyone besides the dwarves armor,

Thought bout it and came up with a list of sets for hobbit 2013

Flagship:

Smaug's lair-main point Smaug, pillars, gold, Bilbo & the arkenstone

Next set down:

Ruins of Dale-Ruins of dale x2 buildings, market place, Gandalf, Narzug & Legolas x2 skeletons

Next set down:

Laketown Chase-The offical set ;)

Next set down:

Thranduils palace- The entrance and maybe those tree statue things? Thranduil, Thorin (spider-webs) New Tauriel, Bilbo (spider-webs)

Next set down:

Azog's Chase-Tree, barrel. New Bilbo (wet) And Azog

Hope you enjoy my list!

Tell me what you think-Sand

Thought bout it and came up with a list of sets for hobbit 2013

Flagship:

Smaug's lair-main point Smaug, pillars, gold, Bilbo & the arkenstone

Next set down:

Ruins of Dale-Ruins of dale x2 buildings, market place, Gandalf, Narzug & Legolas x2 skeletons

Next set down:

Laketown Chase-The offical set ;)

Next set down:

Thranduils palace- The entrance and maybe those tree statue things? Thranduil, Thorin (spider-webs) New Tauriel, Bilbo (spider-webs)

Next set down:

Hope you enjoy my list!

Tell me what you think-Sand

Doubt we'd get two sets with Bilbo and Thorin.

Also, combine the Smaug and Dale sets to create an action sequence, and make Thranduil's Palace a bigger set. That's leave space for a Beorn set.

Anyone know what characters are in the set by the names ? (Thorin , Bilbo and Bard the Bowman are the only familiar faces for me)9324425112_022c62eb2b_z.jpg

Edited by OrcSan

Bard the Bowman, the Master of Laketown, and a Laketown guard.

Next set down:

Next set down:

- Dale stuff with gandalf is in TABA, and Narzug gets captured by the elves in DOS.

- It's the elves thats in the trees chasing the dwaves. Also we already have 2 sets involving the barrel incident.

- Dale stuff with gandalf is in TABA, and Narzug gets captured by the elves in DOS.

- It's the elves thats in the trees chasing the dwaves. Also we already have 2 sets involving the barrel incident.

2 sets? I can only think of one set about the barrels.

What if LEGO decided to not have the standard $10-$15 set with two figs, and instead made more big sets? To me, there are no scenes in the story of this film that would make sense for only two figs. Every scene that lends itself well as a set would have at least three or four figs, and I keep forgetting about the Necromancer scenes, which will need at least one decent sized set.

My predictions:

Battle of Esgaroth - Smaug's attack on Laketown. Even though we already have one Laketown set, this could be a more substantial part of the city. Includes Bard, possibly some of the dwarves, maybe Bain, and Smaug as a large molded creature. $150-$180

Fortress of Dol Guldur - the White Council's attack on the old fortress. Includes Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and the Necromancer. Perhaps some more spiders depending on what happens in the film. I suspect a set based on this would have lots of functions for magic abilities and stuff. $100-$120

Ambush in the Forest - Entrance to Thranduil's halls, depicts the scene where Azog and his orcs attack the elves and dwarves. Inside has Thranduil's throne room and a small interrogation area for Narzug. Includes Thranduil, Tauriel, Azog, Narzug, and two elf guards. $75

Laketown Chase - official set $50

Beorn's House - obvious, it's Beorn's house. Includes Beorn (both man and bear forms), Bilbo, and a few of the dwarves. $35-$40

And there you go, five sets that easily cover all the major sequences and characters of the new film. Sure, we wouldn't get all the dwarves, but I wouldn't expect that. And the reason I didn't include Legolas is because we already got him. Tauriel does need new hair, however.

Edited by Fives