General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

dateposted-public[/img]Here is an image of the Witch King Lego. Its a work in progress. I'm still trying to get some of the pieces to print.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

OK, this is making me nuts. I'm using Safari and I just can't figure out how to get images to work. That little button above doesn't work nor to the suggested extensions.

That's looking really fantastic! If you are having trouble printing the spikes, they could maybe be bigger. I'm not sure if that would make them any easier to print. Have you seen this? http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/d/dd/Lego_lotr_evil_characters_final.jpg

Edited by TheBear

are we going to see any more minifigs from lotr or hobbit? I know the theme is out, but maybe in Dimensions or osmethink like this?

I would say it's unlikely, but with around 5 battle areas in Dimensions unknown, it's possible we could see one for that.

@Theodoric, have you tried printing the helm/head up-side-down face down? Sometimes keeping small details closer to the table helps.

@TheBear, that picture seems kind of small to see such a detail, I'll see if I can find a better one to show what you meant.

Here we go.

witchking.jpg

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

@TheBear, that picture seems kind of small to see such a detail, I'll see if I can find a better one to show what you meant.

Oops, sorry, I have edited my link to go to the high res version. That's another great image of it you have found.

I have some Saurons ready to go. I hope this post allows me to use the messaging system here so I can take orders a lot easier.

Please keep sales in the buy/sell forum.

I am currently working on a few projects, but when I finish them I would like to make another LOTR "set" for LEGO Ideas.

There has been a few changes to the LEGO ideas guidelines/rules, as summed up by CM4Sci in the LEGO Ideas Disscution topic:

GUIDELINES UPDATE

Some important tidbits:

- 3,000 piece limit

- Once a LEGO Ideas set based off a property is released, no more projects on it will be accepted (which means no more BBTF, DW, GB projects)

So we can only have one through ideas and I would like to know what you want to see most.

I was looking at the picture of the Fell Beast I posted above and realized, I never figured out if it was black or dark gray in that game. Does anyone know which it is? I think it's black but am not sure; your answer is much appreciated.

I was looking at the picture of the Fell Beast I posted above and realized, I never figured out if it was black or dark gray in that game. Does anyone know which it is? I think it's black but am not sure; your answer is much appreciated.

I'd say it's definitely black in game, that poster just casts it in a strange light.

I'd say it's definitely black in game, that poster just casts it in a strange light.

It is always cast in a strange light in the game, so I wasn't ever very sure which it was. I think it may be that it reflects the light and surroundings in the game more than other objects typically colored black. Thank you for answering; I really needed a second opinion. Edited by RAKRONDEWL

So we can only have one through ideas and I would like to know what you want to see most.

If Ideas are allowed to have new molds, then something Gondor-related with the Witch-King upon his fell beast would be my choice, as those are (imo) the most glaring absences in the whole line (I could get greedy and ask for Perrin & Merry in their respective armors, but I won't)

If Ideas are allowed to have new molds, then something Gondor-related with the Witch-King upon his fell beast would be my choice, as those are (imo) the most glaring absences in the whole line (I could get greedy and ask for Perrin & Merry in their respective armors, but I won't)

I thought the most desired set might be Gondor-related. Makes me think of three set ideas: Minas Tirith, Battle of Pelennor Fields, or Osgiliath. Which sounds the best to you?

Unfortunately LEGO Ideas doesn't allow you to suggest new molds. In the past people have used pieces that look close for a part that might need a new mold but when LEGO produces it, they make the molded part (example would be Doctor Who's hair and his sonic screwdriver). In other words, we (being the fans) can figure it out. (note the Fell Beast would have to be brick built)

In addition, our friend Theodoric is also making the Witch King, so we could also just suggest a Nazgul for the set and put the Witch King on the Fell Beast instead when/if we get the set.

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

There is no new mold in any Ideas set (yet) unlike Dimensions.

The Dr.Who's hair and sonic screwdriver are from Dimensions first. And Doc's hair and Marty's hoverboard are new mouls only in the Dimensons packs

Minas Tirith or Battle of Pelennor Fields would be my preference. Not too fussed on the minifigure selection as long as it at least includes both Eowyn and Faramir.

There is no new mold in any Ideas set (yet) unlike Dimensions.

The Dr.Who's hair and sonic screwdriver are from Dimensions first. And Doc's hair and Marty's hoverboard are new mouls only in the Dimensons packs

I was under the impression that they were co-conceptualized, due to LEGO looking into the license after the LEGO Ideas project entered review; resulting in there production to benefit both. If my information was wrong, I apologize.

Minas Tirith or Battle of Pelennor Fields would be my preference. Not too fussed on the minifigure selection as long as it at least includes both Eowyn and Faramir.

:thumbup:

Minas Tirith: 0.5 votes

Battle of Pelennor Fields: 3.5 votes

Osgiliath: 0 votes

edit: added votes. (6/27/16), (6/28/16)

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

I would say Minas Tirith but we already had one that made it to the review without success + 3000 pieces limitation is probably a dead end. Therefore i vote for the Battle of Pelennor fields as well.

Edited by sahidko

I agree, 3000 pieces doesn't sound promising for Minas Tirith, so Pelennor Fields it is. Although you could do just gates of MT with a mumakil and Grond as the battle scene...

Wow, I want that Fell Beast!

Me too; I think a lot of people would like to get it, unfortunately I don't think LEGO is going to make one in the foreseeable future. Maybe we can convince Theodoric to make one.

I would say Minas Tirith but we already had one that made it to the review without success + 3000 pieces limitation is probably a dead end. Therefore i vote for the Battle of Pelennor fields as well.

I don't think it's a dead end, I think some of us fans should get together and critique the project until we are all satisfied with it (each make a model and send them to the other builders and take the best elements from them to make the best MT possible). But that's just what I think. :wink: I have added your "vote".

I agree, 3000 pieces doesn't sound promising for Minas Tirith, so Pelennor Fields it is. Although you could do just gates of MT with a mumakil and Grond as the battle scene...

I don't think the gates would look that great standing alone, but I think a Mumakil is a great idea. I have added your "vote".

Just wanted to share with you guys my custom Guritz figure, which I recently finished creating:

27899664286_f3ecf5cac6_c.jpg

80ecb3764d98791d1a1f8f89cc9464b7.png

That looks spot on! You sure do put a lot detail into your figures. I personally prefer to keep my customs looking like LEGO made them and tend to avoid adding materiel to figures that restrict there movement, but yours do look great.

@Theodoric, any update?

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

Couldn't a set include both Gondor and Pelennor Fields elements since the fields are right outside of Minas Tirith? This seems like it would be the best of both worlds. In a set that combined small elements of both the majority of major needed figs would be possible: Witchking, Faramir, Eowyn, and Gondor Soldier. If I had to choose just one, I would have to vote for with a Pelennor Fields set that included the Witch King, Eowyn, and whatever else.

Have you guys made your own versions of Eowyn and Faramir using existing lego parts? I would like to see what you guys have done.

Couldn't a set include both Gondor and Pelennor Fields elements since the fields are right outside of Minas Tirith? This seems like it would be the best of both worlds. In a set that combined small elements of both the majority of major needed figs would be possible: Witchking, Faramir, Eowyn, and Gondor Soldier. If I had to choose just one, I would have to vote for with a Pelennor Fields set that included the Witch King, Eowyn, and whatever else.

Have you guys made your own versions of Eowyn and Faramir using existing lego parts? I would like to see what you guys have done.

Gondor is the land that Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith are located in. I will think about your proposal to section off part of MT in a Pelennor Fields set.

​You can divide your vote as 1, 0.5(x2), 0.33 (x3) ect.

Minas Tirith: 1.5 votes

Battle of Pelennor Fields: 3.5 votes

Osgiliath: 0 votes

If you guys would like to see a set not listed, let me know and I'll add it.

Edited by RAKRONDEWL

I am currently working on a few projects, but when I finish them I would like to make another LOTR "set" for LEGO Ideas.

There has been a few changes to the LEGO ideas guidelines/rules, as summed up by CM4Sci in the LEGO Ideas Disscution topic:

GUIDELINES UPDATE

Some important tidbits:

- 3,000 piece limit

- Once a LEGO Ideas set based off a property is released, no more projects on it will be accepted (which means no more BBTF, DW, GB projects)

So we can only have one through ideas .... although even that is highly unlikely. They also do not exclude more than one set from an IP being made. They just exclude further projects being submitted. So if two projects based on the same IP are submitted and both make it to review, then there is nothing in the rules to stop both being made if there is a business case, so long as both are submitted before one is released.

I believe the rule change is that once they negotiate the license following an ideas project, then they will release whatever series they want afterwards irrespective of what other projects were submitted to ideas beforehand. Limiting the submissions after a set is successful stops the whining when someone submits a set based on the successful ideas project when lego may already be planning a follow-up - like the GB firehouse.

LOTR is a special case. Since they already have the license, I doubt they will be receptive to making even one new ideas set. Unfortunately. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for other existing ranges, such as SH and SW, but that they don't want to exclude everything. After all, if they excluded submissions based on existing regular sets or themes, then the classic space Exo-Suit would have been prohibited.

Also, if they did make one (or more) LOTR set through ideas I don't think it matters too much what it is. If they decide there is a market for LOTR again, then only sets submitted before one is released are allowed. But surely if there is a business case for an ideas LOTR set, then there is a business case for other LOTR sets. The difference being LEGO would decide what follow up sets to make, rather than ideas voters. But of course the stumbling point is the business case. LEGO has made LOTR sets in the recent past and knows much more about their sales than any of us.

Edited by MAB

So we can only have one through ideas .... although even that is highly unlikely. They also do not exclude more than one set from an IP being made. They just exclude further projects being submitted. So if two projects based on the same IP are submitted and both make it to review, then there is nothing in the rules to stop both being made if there is a business case, so long as both are submitted before one is released.

I believe the rule change is that once they negotiate the license following an ideas project, then they will release whatever series they want afterwards irrespective of what other projects were submitted to ideas beforehand. Limiting the submissions after a set is successful stops the whining when someone submits a set based on the successful ideas project when lego may already be planning a follow-up - like the GB firehouse.

LOTR is a special case. Since they already have the license, I doubt they will be receptive to making even one new ideas set. Unfortunately. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for other existing ranges, such as SH and SW, but that they don't want to exclude everything. After all, if they excluded submissions based on existing regular sets or themes, then the classic space Exo-Suit would have been prohibited.

Also, if they did make one (or more) LOTR set through ideas I don't think it matters too much what it is. If they decide there is a market for LOTR again, then only sets submitted before one is released are allowed. But surely if there is a business case for an ideas LOTR set, then there is a business case for other LOTR sets. The difference being LEGO would decide what follow up sets to make, rather than ideas voters. But of course the stumbling point is the business case. LEGO has made LOTR sets in the recent past and knows much more about their sales than any of us.

You make a good point, having two or more sets released form a common IP isn't against the guidelines/rules. Even if LEGO decided not to make all of them, it would better are chances of getting one. I know the chances are slim but LEGO still has the license and hasn't released sets for awhile, making me believe it is possible.

Agreed.

LOTR is also the only one of those three that doesn't have sets being released for it. We still might be able to convince them to cash in a little on this license.

The only reason it would matter is the fact they may decide not to make any more.

As far as the issue of sales go, I think the line could've been handled better. If LEGO LOTR didn't sell as well as they would of hoped, I think they should of released some more of the iconic scenes to living the waves; I thought they were saving these for a third wave (e.g. Balrog and Gondor sets).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I really enjoy looking at another's perspective.

Lego clearly did not do enough research or did the wrong research about the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and which sets to make.

1/ Mines of Moria or Balrog. Balrog wins every time for LOTR fans.

2/ Dol Guldur ? No fan of lego and Hobbit or LOTR would have chosen this set over the Iconic Minas Tirith.

3/ The Black Gates or Eowyn destroying The Witchking. For LOTR fans the Fell beast, Witch King and Eowyn win every time.

And

Battlepacks, Battlepacks, why no Battlepacks?