General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

LEGO Lord of the Rings line was tied to the Hobbit movies. It would never have occurred if the Hobbit films were not made. LEGO LotR fans should always be grateful to those films for that. However, the poor reception that those movies received really crippled the line in my opinion.

I don't think it was ever possible for LotR to become an evergreen theme, but LEGO did keep their options open for a third wave. Unfortunately that did not happen. Perhaps it was the LEGO Movie that drew factory production and shelf space, the fact that the Hobbit films were split into three, or poor sales that brought about the end of the line after only two waves and one Direct 2 Consumer set. I think it is a mixture of the three.

If LEGO made a Dimensions pack of Eowyn vs the Witch-King, I would buy it for 30 dollars even though it would be just two minifigs and perhaps $5 of brick. Having not played Dimensions though, didn't they cover Middle Earth very well in the starter game? Would there be enough to have a new level pack for this?

I think maybe in their minds they gave us a witch-king in the Hobbit but that ghost version is nowhere near as awesome as the ROTK version.

What's more, the Twilight version is from Weathertop. Even the version of the Witch King that actually showed up in the movie would have been better. (not that the one we have isn't a good minifigure. It's one of the best of the theme)

Wow I never thought LOTR minifigs would be so expensive, I was giving a thought about collecting some but well....

The usual suspects are still going for a decent amount. I think the vacuum of no Castle line and the lack of Castle/LOTR material in Nexo Knights really has moved prices up.

Wow I never thought LOTR minifigs would be so expensive, I was giving a thought about collecting some but well....

Haha same, I've got most of them but am picking up the remainders now. Wish I got them sooner

When i see angry birds theme,.... i want to cry! Lotr is so much better than theses new themes.

Worst, TLC has the right of lotr theme yet with dimensions packs!

I have the same feeling: I am slowly descending into my dark Ages once again. By itself that is a nice indication of how good LOTR Lego was.

When i see angry birds theme,.... i want to cry! Lotr is so much better than theses new themes.

Worst, TLC has the right of lotr theme yet with dimensions packs!

I have the same feeling: I am slowly descending into my dark Ages once again. By itself that is a nice indication of how good LOTR Lego was.

No... fight against the dark... (and especially against angry birds!) start here ---> http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122772

Much love

D

I thought to myself let's try at least to get the 9 fellowship minifigs, I already have Gandalf so how much could 8 cost in the end? This isn't star wars right? Well I will only say that Merry Pippin and Boromir can't be found on BL for less than 30€ and the others are like 10€ each... :wacko: :cry_sad:

100-150€ for 8 minifigs.. Really?

I thought to myself let's try at least to get the 9 fellowship minifigs, I already have Gandalf so how much could 8 cost in the end? This isn't star wars right?

No, it's LEGO The Lord of the Rings, a theme (of a popular franchise) that existed for only a couple of years and never got to see remakes of sets.

I thought to myself let's try at least to get the 9 fellowship minifigs, I already have Gandalf so how much could 8 cost in the end? This isn't star wars right? Well I will only say that Merry Pippin and Boromir can't be found on BL for less than 30€ and the others are like 10€ each... :wacko: :cry_sad:

You can get Gimli and Legolas cheap-ish in the Dimension packs. Otherwise, with the realization that LOTR is not coming back, some of these minifigures are getting to become pretty chase given that some characters only appeared in one set.

No, it's LEGO The Lord of the Rings, a theme (of a popular franchise) that existed for only a couple of years and never got to see remakes of sets.

It wasn't so popular if it existed just for a couple of years, you can be sure that if sales were actually good they would have thrown a remake already. What I meant is, I can understand those crazy prices with the star wars franchise because it sells so much, with UCS sets collectors will just pay anything and so the sellers will pump the prices for retired sets to the stars. But for a franchise like Lotr, which as popular as it was with books/movies wasn't that successful when talking about Lego and hadn't many sets for collectors apart from Orthanc, I thought you could find still decent prices. 30€ for a minifig? thanks but no thanks.

Edited by aabdguy87

It was popular, but IMHO mainly among minifig collectors/LotR-Hobbit fans and AFOLS, not kids. And many AFOLS were dissapointed with the 2nd Lotr wave.It existed just for a couple of years because of the Hobbit trilogy. And about high prices - the prices of the retired products rise up...

...I´m still missing Blue Coat Bilbo from Blu-Ray...59€ :grin:

It wasn't so popular if it existed just for a couple of years, you can be sure that if sales were actually good they would have thrown a remake already. What I meant is, I can understand those crazy prices with the star wars franchise because it sells so much, with UCS sets collectors will just pay anything and so the sellers will pump the prices for retired sets to the stars. But for a franchise like Lotr, which as popular as it was with books/movies wasn't that successful when talking about Lego and hadn't many sets for collectors apart from Orthanc, I thought you could find still decent prices. 30€ for a minifig? thanks but no thanks.

of a popular franchise

And as said above, they're also just retired products.

Indeed, with some important characters only appearing in one set, sets which have been discounted for three years now. Not figures endlessly remade with small variations like SW or SH.

It wasn't so popular if it existed just for a couple of years, ....... But for a franchise like Lotr, which as popular as it was with books/movies wasn't that successful when talking about Lego and hadn't many sets for collectors apart from Orthanc, I thought you could find still decent prices. 30€ for a minifig? thanks but no thanks.

The minifigs are very popular. That is why if someone lists a Samwise, Merry or Pippin for 15 Euro, it will be bought very quickly. As people know there are others willing to pay 30 Euro.

... I thought you could find still decent prices. 30€ for a minifig? thanks but no thanks.

You still can, at least some of them. For the others i would assume: lower sales = less minifugures available overall = proportionally less minifigures for resell = driving the prices of most wanted high.

There are still ways to get a lot of them much cheaper. For example, Samwise Gamgee is €15 on Bricklink, but you can pick up the torso for €1.50. I found I already had the head because it is the same one used on the A-Wing pilot. Legs and hair are pretty cheap. The only problem with a lot of them is the cape, but if you are willing to go third party on that then they can be picked up easily from somewhere like capes4minifigs.com

Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Boromir seem to be the highest priced ones on the secondary. Each one only appeared in one set each and are vital for completing the Fellowship. Rohan, Orcs, and Uruk-Hai are also big for army-building.

I think the fact that the line was so short-lived threw off a lot of collectors. I was lucky enough to buy two copies of each set, but at the time I kept thinking it might have been foolish because there could be more sets in the future. I thought the LOTR line was going to last at least as long as The Hobbit, so I thought there was always going to be different versions of everyone to get. Lego had done the same thing with other popular IPs. Being a Star Wars collector, I'm used to picking and choosing because the same main characters come around all the time.

As it was, LOTR was a springboard for The Hobbit, which rom all merchandising standpoints did not do well. If I had known the LOTR line was going to be as short-lived as it was, I probably would have bought three or four copies of each set for all the great bricks and minifigures.

I'm hoping that now with LEGO Dimensions tanking hard and going on clearance everywhere that LEGO will take this opportunity and make some more cash by giving us something good LOTR-wise.

If they wanted even more money, they'd be doing more variety in Ninjago, Nexo, Friends, City, SW, ...

If they wanted even more money, they'd be doing more variety in Ninjago, Nexo, Friends, City, SW, ...

No, because most of those fans would rather buy a set than one overpriced minifig. LOTR fans, unfortunely, doesn't have that option.

Realistically, Lego has been more than making money since 2013 (the last real year for LOTR), so I dont think they need to go back to LOTR for financial reasons.

I would also say that Dimensions has been seemingly doing well given its got a lot more material coming out this year. True, Lego has had some Dimensions stuff go on sale, but that has happened with all their lines. Not a sign of failure.

Has anyone got any idea what happened to smallgreenpeatys on eBay? They used to seel lots of LOTR/Harry Potter/Star Wars/Super Hero customs, but have been away for sometime.

I had just got round to buying their stuff after years of putting it off (they had nice Gothmog, Grishnakh and Celeborn customs I fancied) and they disappeared!