General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Hey guys I got a brickforge order in the mail today for some of their custom pieces that go great with Lord of the Rings. Bricforges quality, especially on their viking helmets that are often used for Rohirrim, is superb. I am a quality nut when it comes to lego (I hate how the minifigure series legs are still slightly lower quality than regular minifigures from sets.) But these viking helmets are awesome. I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the helmets and actual lego products if I didn't already know.

I also bought two of these shields which go great with my Gondor soldiers. I'm sure brickforge had gondor in mind when they made these, the tree is obvious. Unfortunately they only come in gold, but they still look really well with the figures.

I also bought these elven swords for my elves, and the obvious narsil recreation for my Aragorn. The swords are also really good quality, but the viking helmets I got just steal the show. They are awesome. I'm using one of them for Eowyn like a lot of people already have.

Link to helmet image - https://www.brickfor...?type=W&id=2327

Link to Narsil - https://www.brickfor...?type=W&id=2189

Link to Gondor Shield - https://www.brickfor...?type=W&id=2394

Link to Elven sword - https://www.brickfor...?type=W&id=2381

Also, Does anyone know if any custom Witch King helmets are for sale anywhere?? The more and more I think about it the more I hate that Lego made a 'Twilight' Witch King with a new helmet mold for the Hobbit line. The twilight Witch King is so much lamer than an actual Witch King would have been. UGH Lego dropped the ball so hard. WHY?? It almost seems like they did it just to tease us haha, All I can hope for is a fun pack including Sauron and the Witch King from dimensions.

Edited by builderbrad

Also, Does anyone know if any custom Witch King helmets are for sale anywhere?? The more and more I think about it the more I hate that Lego made a 'Twilight' Witch King with a new helmet mold for the Hobbit line. The twilight Witch King is so much lamer than an actual Witch King would have been. UGH Lego dropped the ball so hard. WHY?? It almost seems like they did it just to tease us haha, All I can hope for is a fun pack including Sauron and the Witch King from dimensions.

Green Pea Toys used to sell a custom Witch King and also a Sauron, but it looks like they've shut down all their sites. Maybe Lego shut them down or something? I'd like to know if anyone knows if these customs are still available somewhere online.

me9-0y_1kCGXAzv7iEldeZQ.jpg11856749_710359582403509_408446452_n.jpg

Any LOTR fans been following Toy Fair? Both City and Nexu Knights have some volcano themed sets coming out that should be very useful in providing parts for Mordor/Mount Doom MOCs.

http://zusammengebaut.com/toy-fair-2016-five-new-lego-city-volcano-sets-on-display-4344/

http://zusammengebaut.com/toy-fair-2016-lego-nexo-knights-jestros-volcano-lair-video-presentation-4331/

Thanks for the link, Wesker.

It seems that some of the Nexu Knights figures have fairly useful parts, as well:

8f5477796e6ba940f3de40bda3fc9447.png

There aren't nearly enough torsos with orcish armour plating out there, and even a lesser amount of legs of a similar fashion.

My New Lego SAURON.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. My kids asked me if there was a Lego Sauron, and they were pretty upset that there wasn't. So I made them one. The Helmet, armor and mace are 3D modeled, printed and cast in resin. I used a Toy Story Woody body to give him extra height, which I vinyl dyed silver.

I'm still playing around with cape ideas and leg armor stuff, but when its all ready to go I will be able to sell these. As soon as I can I'll let you all know how to purchase the whole figure.

24582094412_804ddf7cc8_z.jpgIMG_6059 by David Krentz, on Flickr

24673652006_4e87688ed4_q.jpgIMG_6053 by David Krentz, on Flickr

Edited by Theodoric

Glad you like him! Yes, I sculpted the helm, breastplate and mace in ZBrush. My kids are bugging me for a Witch King now!

I think I'll be able to sell this guy in about 3 weeks.

I'd love to see him grace your amazing MOCs!

Edited by Theodoric

Glad you like him! Yes, I sculpted the helm, breastplate and mace in ZBrush. My kids are bugging me for a Witch King now!

I think I'll be able to sell this guy in about 3 weeks.

I'd love to see him grace your amazing MOCs!

Awesome. He would be a very welcome addition to my collection! My orcs are waiting... Will you be selling the figures on Bricklink? (Would be great if I could make a reservation on one in advance!)

On the topic of custom LOTR minifigures, I've recently started working on my own LOTR customs again, namely my orc army, but I'll also be making figures such as Faramir, Denethor, Eowyn, Gollum figures with alternate faces, and so on.

For those who are interested, check out and keep an eye on the topic I've linked to at the bottom of this post. Here's my latest batch of orcs:

24682534286_abce79efdc_z.jpg

Topic:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=72967

Edited by General Magma

Sauron looks brilliant, I'll definitely be ordering parts when available!

Hopefully the Witch-King follows too as you said it might :)

Felt like dropping in and sharing this.

Stafford might be sharing some prototypes of Lotr sets from the eighties.

Could be interesting. :shrug_oh_well:

It doesn't really sound like he's going to be sharing them (as much as I would love to see them), but more like he was just trying to further his point.

It doesn't really sound like he's going to be sharing them (as much as I would love to see them), but more like he was just trying to further his point.

I mean, LotR sets based on the book? My curiosity is very piqued right now.

I think he was just discussing old LOTR MOCs made by TLG designers in the 80's not actual prototypes with intent to release something.

I think he was just discussing old LOTR MOCs made by TLG designers in the 80's not actual prototypes with intent to release something.

Didn't he mean LOTR designs based on the 1980s (I think it was late 70s) animated films. It would be interesting if LEGO were thinking of LOTR back in the 1980s, before they did 'proper' licensed sets.

Anyone seen the UCS Orc Pit on Lego Ideas? Its only been up for about two weeks and is already close to hitting 2000 supporters.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/128929

While there's no way its going to pass review based on the size alone, its still always nice to see there's still a lot of people out there supporting Middle Earth.

Certainly, but I just wish there would be a smaller LOTR set on 'Ideas' with some cool new figures and a build that isn't ridiculously huge.

Perhaps it would then pass, for once. There have been numerous LOTR sets on 'Ideas', and they've all been turned down - hope for new LOTR sets may seem lost,

but maybe each time a LOTR set reaches 10.000 supporters, the chances of it happening improves. Maybe not, but seriously, they're already releasing a huge Ghostbusters set,

and I'm very sure that any LOTR Gondor set would be a much bigger hit. What's stopping them? LEGO even acknowledged that fans have been asking for LOTR sets for years when it finally happened,

I think they know there doesn't have to be a new batch of movies or TV shows to make such sets a hit again. Then again, we should probably be blaming Warner Bros...

Certainly, but I just wish there would be a smaller LOTR set on 'Ideas' with some cool new figures and a build that isn't ridiculously huge.

Perhaps it would then pass, for once. There have been numerous LOTR sets on 'Ideas', and they've all been turned down - hope for new LOTR sets may seem lost,

but maybe each time a LOTR set reaches 10.000 supporters, the chances of it happening improves. Maybe not, but seriously, they're already releasing a huge Ghostbusters set,

and I'm very sure that any LOTR Gondor set would be a much bigger hit. What's stopping them? LEGO even acknowledged that fans have been asking for LOTR sets for years when it finally happened,

Exactly. If this Orc Pit makes it, that will be 4 large UCS scale LotR sets to reach 10,000. Come on Lego! Take the hint! Give us Minas Tirith already!

I think they know there doesn't have to be a new batch of movies or TV shows to make such sets a hit again. Then again, we should probably be blaming Warner Bros...

Actually, we have Christopher Tolkien to blame, since he won't sell the movie rights for the Silmarillion. :wink: Of course, that shouldn't stop Peter Jackson from making an Angmar: War in the North film. :tongue:

Actually, we have Christopher Tolkien to blame, since he won't sell the movie rights for the Silmarillion. :wink: Of course, that shouldn't stop Peter Jackson from making an Angmar: War in the North film. :tongue:

He better not sell those rights after the hobbit movies! :enough:

I'm looking for a few ways to improve the official Ringwraith figures. Add gloves, metal boots, and potentially other things. I have some things in mind,

but anyone who may have a couple of ideas - feel free to share them. And no, they don't have to be purist, preferably customized. Perhaps there's a cool way to have robes cover their entire bodies (except gloves and boots) or something. Anyone?

He better not sell those rights after the hobbit movies! :enough:

Better yet, sell the rights on a contract, including agreements to largely stay true to the source material as well as going back to the way The Lord of the Rings was filmed, visually as well as, largely,

the philosophy of adaptation that they had in mind there. Something like that...

Better yet, sell the rights on a contract, including agreements to largely stay true to the source material as well as going back to the way The Lord of the Rings was filmed, visually as well as, largely,

the philosophy of adaptation that they had in mind there. Something like that...

I agree with most of the story changes that Peter Jackson made, although they could have been executed. Having the dwarves fight Smaug in the Mountain is a good idea, but the whole sequence felt a bit ridiculous and unrealistic. The Silmarillion wasn't written with a movie adaptation in mind, so like LotR, it would in all certainty need some tweaks. That being said, the movie should use more practical effects, especially with miniatures and such. Dol Guldur, Lake Town, and the mountain would all have looked better as models. Either way, the Silmarillion is probably the most viable Middle Earth option in the near future. Otherwise, we will have to wait until Hollywood decides it's time to remake the Hobbit and LotR. :sceptic:

I agree with most of the story changes that Peter Jackson made, although they could have been executed. Having the dwarves fight Smaug in the Mountain is a good idea, but the whole sequence felt a bit ridiculous and unrealistic. The Silmarillion wasn't written with a movie adaptation in mind, so like LotR, it would in all certainty need some tweaks. That being said, the movie should use more practical effects, especially with miniatures and such. Dol Guldur, Lake Town, and the mountain would all have looked better as models. Either way, the Silmarillion is probably the most viable Middle Earth option in the near future. Otherwise, we will have to wait until Hollywood decides it's time to remake the Hobbit and LotR. :sceptic:

I think they should've had the dwarves run from Smaug, realizing they wouldn't be able to take him on, with Smaug encountering Bilbo (skip the ridiculous battle scene) and going to Lake-town. Or, just have him go to Lake-town right after Bilbo runs from Smaug.

I also say they should've let Bilbo be the one responsible for Smaug's death. Perhaps show Gandalf communicating with Eagles (in a certain way) on Carrock, with Bilbo watching,

and then later on in the story, he kind of tries to replicate that to have a message sent to Lake-town by a thrush which he then calls upon. Or, if Radagast would still be in that version of The Hobbit, have Bilbo experience his communicating with birds.

And then you can have him send the message (that ends up reaching Bard, eventually) and have it make sense. The thrush lands on the balcony of Bard's house, at the window through which you can see the Lonely Mountain. Bard comes to the thrush,

looking a bit confused, and watches it lift up its wing, as it starts touching the location where Smaug's spot would be (on itself) using its beak, and then hopping into the direction of the Lonely Mountain, looking at it, followed by showing Bard seemingly understanding what it means, without any words spoken. I came up with this idea some time ago, and I think it would work to avoid having talking birds in it and to have Bilbo still play a large role in the death of Smaug, much like in the book. In the movies, Bard already knew the black arrow did hit Smaug and then, in the third film, he could supposedly see the spot from quite a distance, regardless of all the smoke cluttering up his view.

Now if my idea had happened, it would've made much more sense for Bard to know where the spot was, and Bilbo would still have played a huge role in bringing down the dragon he helped unleash.

Edited by General Magma

I think they should've had the dwarves run from Smaug, realizing they wouldn't be able to take him on, with Smaug encountering Bilbo (skip the ridiculous battle scene) and going to Lake-town. Or, just have him go to Lake-town right after Bilbo runs from Smaug.

I also say they should've let Bilbo be the one responsible for Smaug's death. Perhaps show Gandalf communicating with Eagles (in a certain way) on Carrock, with Bilbo watching,

and then later on in the story, he kind of tries to replicate that to have a message sent to Lake-town by a thrush which he then calls upon. Or, if Radagast would still be in that version of The Hobbit, have Bilbo experience his communicating with birds.

And then you can have him send the message (that ends up reaching Bard, eventually) and have it make sense. The thrush lands on the balcony of Bard's house, at the window through which you can see the Lonely Mountain. Bard comes to the thrush,

looking a bit confused, and watches it lift up its wing, as it starts touching the location where Smaug's spot would be (on itself) using its beak, and then hopping into the direction of the Lonely Mountain, looking at it, followed by showing Bard seemingly understanding what it means, without any words spoken. I came up with this idea some time ago, and I think it would work to avoid having talking birds in it and to have Bilbo still play a large role in the death of Smaug, much like in the book. In the movies, Bard already knew the black arrow did hit Smaug and then, in the third film, he could supposedly see the spot from quite a distance, regardless of all the smoke cluttering up his view.

Now if my idea had happened, it would've made much more sense for Bard to know where the spot was, and Bilbo would still have played a huge role in bringing down the dragon he helped unleash.

That is a very good idea to fix one of the major holes between the book and movie. It also would have worked well with Thorin sending the Raven to Dain.

The reason I say having the dwarves fight back is a good thing, is the fact that in the book, they just cowered in the mountain while Bard did all the work. That doesn't make them very sympathetic protagonists. Having them rush into the mountain to save Bilbo, then turning their tails once they saw the dragon, would have been just as effective at making the dwarves not seem like cowards, and not involved a ridiculous, contrived plan to drown Smaug in gold.