General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

There we go again, with all the theories about what’s happening inside the LEGO office and the legal and marketing details of things we’ve never been officially informed about.

All I know for fact is that the LEGO and LOTR partnership is alive one way or another since we’re getting more construction sets with LOTR logo on them. Elaborating on the details of such partnership, making up explanations about official responses and uninformed discussion of legal matters would lead to nothing.

As a fan, I prefer to discuss things related to the theme I like from a positive perspective. Not the trend here I see. I see people trying so hard to see the case from the worst angle possible to the extent of creating entire theories out of nothing, and I don’t understand why. Why can’t you guys just be happy we’re getting LOTR related stuff from LEGO and hope for more?

Most of what has been said are pretty conservative and sober suggestions, backed up by past experience and the like. So no grand theory-building.

Furthermore, one of the things that makes humans the dominant species on the planet is not only recognizing facts, but extrapolating from them and identifying trends.

And while you may prefer a (possibly unrealistically) positive and optimistic discussion, other fans like to keep their feet firmly on the ground, to exchange info that would lead to the most accurate possible future scenario.

Unwarranted optimism and high expectations will also „lead to nothing“, as you say (well, except future disappointment).

I also prefer to be a little more realistic than optimistic. So far, the video game packs we know about contain only minifigs that were already made. Any day now, we will know the fate of the Minas Tirith project, and I am expecting it to be rejected due to the part count. I am even doubtful about the History Museum, which is the first triple digit item I think really has a chance.

On a little bit more of a positive note, I do find it interesting that Lego is including LOTR in the new game. Is it the only discontinued theme in the game? It seems like everything else is either current or new, like the Wizard of Oz. Part of me would like to think that Lego is testing the waters to see what the demand for LOTR really is, and producing anything at all related to it is at least an acknowledgment that there is some demand out there. Of course, the core group already has those minifigs, and I hypothesize that the Witch King would outsell Legolas by a large margin.

As others have said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it seems positive or negative to someone.

I don't think that's the case. I think people are just trying to be realist and not get their hopes up. You have to realize a lot of us were here when the LotR license was first announced. We had such high hopes. We saw the line going for three, four, or even more waves. We thought for sure we would get some Gondor related sets and definitely would get main characters like Eowyn and the Witch King. People wanted to see army builders, the Balrog, Oliphants, Fel Beasts, Treebeard, etc. Just look at all the wish lists early on.

Then reality hit. We are still missing a good amount of content. Some of it's pretty major stuff. As much fun as it is to hope the Minas Tirith Ideas project will get made, you also have to look at it from a realistic perspective. So far no Ideas or Cussoo project has been made that cost more than $100. Usually they are around $30-50. Why would Lego suddenly go from that to a $250 set? As for the license, it's probably not the same as the original license Lego had with WB. It doesn't appear the Hobbit is included with it at all. The original license was to create sets based on the LotR and Hobbit movies. The current license has most likely been revamped so Lego can only create LotR sets based on stuff seen in the Dimensions game. That means we MIGHT see a Balrog, but it will probably come with the Riddler or something and be in a wave with BttF, Wizard of Oz, Ninjago, and Lego Movie sets. The chances of us seeing a normal LotR wave are slim to none.

Now is this speculation? Sure, but it's like with the sales debate we had awhile back.. it's educated speculation. It's not unfounded. It's how Lego operates and has handled other licenses. I would absolutely love to be wrong and see a Minas Tirith Ideas set get made and a whole nother 4 or 5 set LotR wave. Do I think it will actually happen though? No, and that's based on everything I have seen and heard.

Exactly, thank you.

Anyone who is interested should contact Lego ideas directly for an explanation of the purpose and meaning regarding the preliminary licensing review. They have made comments in the past and is not exactly a state secret but for clarity it would be helpful for some.

As for Lego Dimensions it's most unlikely that the TLG had this in mind when they first obtained the middle earth license. Also, as it involves a variety of parties an extension of the current middle earth license also seems unlikely. TLG has had ample time to make use of its current license and for unknown reasons has chosen not to do so. It's logical to conclude that TLG wouldn't extend nor obtain a new license to do what they could have already done.

There isn't any evident nor precedent that I know of that would lead one to conclude that Lego Dimensions will lead to construction sets of any kind beyond the size and scope of thoses we have already seen in relation to the game. I am of course very happy for the inclusion of LoTR in dimensions but am under no illusion that the game will lead to something more. Despite 177 pages of this portion of LoTR future set discussion reality has not changed despite how positive we are now or once were. Some times it's just best to enjoy what you have than worry about what you don't.

So far no Ideas or Cussoo project has been made that cost more than $100. Usually they are around $30-50.

Indeed, no CUUSOO / Ideas project so far has cost more than $50, even - they've all run somewhere from $19.99 to $49.99 in the US (save for the very first, which was never released anywhere other than Japan, but which LEGO has actually listed as being a $50 USD set).

That said, the upcoming sets based on The Big Bang Theory and WALL*E seem reasonably likely to break that price barrier... but of course they still won't be anywhere close to $200 or more.

I also prefer to be a little more realistic than optimistic. So far, the video game packs we know about contain only minifigs that were already made. Any day now, we will know the fate of the Minas Tirith project, and I am expecting it to be rejected due to the part count. I am even doubtful about the History Museum, which is the first triple digit item I think really has a chance.

On a little bit more of a positive note, I do find it interesting that Lego is including LOTR in the new game. Is it the only discontinued theme in the game? It seems like everything else is either current or new, like the Wizard of Oz. Part of me would like to think that Lego is testing the waters to see what the demand for LOTR really is, and producing anything at all related to it is at least an acknowledgment that there is some demand out there. Of course, the core group already has those minifigs, and I hypothesize that the Witch King would outsell Legolas by a large margin.

As others have said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it seems positive or negative to someone.

Lego have already tested the water for LOTR sets ... by releasing LOTR sets. The LOTR Lego video games have been quite popular. It makes perfect sense for them to release further LOTR video game material.

I personally feel that Minas Tirith will not be approved as an ideas set, but it will however be released as either a UCS or in a similar fasion to Helms Deep/Uruk Hai Army as part of a wave of sets.

Quite a few LotR sets are gaining support on the Ideas site, Minas Tirith hit 10k, now we have the Dimensions game and expansion packs... and lets be honest, we know and Lego knows exactly whats missing from the line and it can all be done in 1 wave of 4-5 sets. We're not talking about going evergreen here... we're talking ONE wave. It's not impossible. And I will remain optimistic until it happens because I want to buy it!

I personally feel that Minas Tirith will not be approved as an ideas set, but it will however be released as either a UCS or in a similar fasion to Helms Deep/Uruk Hai Army as part of a wave of sets.

Quite a few LotR sets are gaining support on the Ideas site, Minas Tirith hit 10k, now we have the Dimensions game and expansion packs... and lets be honest, we know and Lego knows exactly whats missing from the line and it can all be done in 1 wave of 4-5 sets. We're not talking about going evergreen here... we're talking ONE wave. It's not impossible. And I will remain optimistic until it happens because I want to buy it!

I'm sure they do know what is missing. I guess it is just down to them deciding if it is financially worthwhile, and whether they will have any similar competing licensed or non-licensed sets. I doubt it is worth them doing a one wave series now. A single DTC set would probably work, btu not a single wave through the normal retail channels. It has been a while (even if just a little while to us), and they will want to attract new collectors as well as old to be viable. If they are going to do it, then they will probably be better redoing some of the older locations (not necessarily the sets) and repeating many minifigs. They'd probably need to do a new / repeat set of 9 Fellowship minifigs at minimum to make sure they attract new collectors. I cannot see new collectors wanting an Eowyn vs The Witch King set if they cannot get hold of Frodo and Samwise. Nor wanting Gondor soldiers if they cannot get Aragorn.

I think the best chance of getting a new The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings set through LEGO Ideas would be had by getting multiple projects into the same review batch (and by at least some of them being of reasonable size, not 8000-piece monstrosities).

This project will probably the next one: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/70260

It already has 8200 supporters and received another 427 days :classic:

I don't believe we will get a LotR Ideas Set but Ideas is an important source of information for Lego. The projects might be rejected but I'm sure they think about releasing an official LotR set. At least they still have the license :wink:

Even if we don't get new sets there is still a chance to get new minifigures in the Fun Packs!

What we need:

Sauron - Prologue ... Sauron with Elendil & Isildur and the rock where Elendil dies, Isildur cuts the ring... $15

Treebeard - with Merry, Pippin & Grishnakh... $20-25

The Balrog - with small breaking bridge build, battle damaged Gandalf & Moria orc archer... $50 (like the Armies of Middle Earth Bridge of Khazad Dum set)

Then either the Ideas style Minas Tirith or a Helms Deep style Minas Tirith (wall build & gate) which would give us the Fell Beast, Armored Witch-king, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, Gondor Soldeirs, Merry & Pip in armor and whatever else...

See, that's not much to close the biggest gaps, it's realistic and lets face it... not too big a risk as it's what all the fans have been wanting since day one.

Sauron - Prologue ... Sauron with Elendil & Isildur and the rock where Elendil dies, Isildur cuts the ring... $15

I don't think those two sets would really be considered "must haves". The Treebeard set specifically offers nothing. You can easily mod the existing Ent with minimal effort to make him into Treebeard and we already have Merry and Pippin. Grishnak is hardly a must have character. While Sauron is really important, and a prologue set would be the only way we could really get him (outside of an alternate version in a Dol Guldur Hobbit set, or some sort of promo), I don't see that happening for a scene that occured hundreds of years ago, isn't current in the movie, and only takes up a few minutes. I feel like both of these would be forth wave sets if we ever got that far. A Mumakil/Oliphant set seems more likely than either of these...

With that said, the biggest sets people seem to want are a Balrog and something Gondor (Minas Tirith) with Gondor Soldiers, Eowyn, and the Witch King. This could realistically be done in two sets. One big D2C or $100+ set could have a Eowyn, Faramir, the Witch King, a few Gondor Soldiers, and Fel Beast. Heck, you could throw in Rohan Merry, Gondor Pippin, Gothmog, and Denethor to really cover all the characters we are missing. A Balrog basically just needs the Balrog itself, the bridge, and Gandalf. A few more Moria Orcs would be icing on the cake.

Personally I would like a Balrog, Minas Tirith, and an army builder add-on with some new armored Mordor Orcs, Gondor Soldiers, and Faramir in ranger garb who can double as a regular Ithilien Ranger. I think if fans got at least the Balrog and MT though, they would be pretty satisfied. Sure we would still be missing some characters and some scenes, but they are something I think most people can live without unlike Eowyn, the Witch King, Balrog, and Gondor Soldiers.

Honestly, I would just love a small buildable battle pack with a few of the main minifids. Doesn't need to be from the books or movies, just a last chance to get some cool figures (a la the Double Decker Couch) before bidding farewell to the line. One can still hope eh? :grin:

I don't think those two sets would really be considered "must haves". The Treebeard set specifically offers nothing. You can easily mod the existing Ent with minimal effort to make him into Treebeard and we already have Merry and Pippin. Grishnak is hardly a must have character. While Sauron is really important, and a prologue set would be the only way we could really get him (outside of an alternate version in a Dol Guldur Hobbit set, or some sort of promo), I don't see that happening for a scene that occured hundreds of years ago, isn't current in the movie, and only takes up a few minutes.

I whole heartedly disagree with you. I simply cannot state this enough.

Sauron IS the Lord of the Rings and the main catalyst for the entire book/movie trilogy (& even the Hobbit movies), has the most badass armor and is seen in both trilogies sporting it. EVERYONE I know would buy this, everyone. Even dudes that aren't into Legos!

Treebeard... One of my favorite characters. I would have to get at LEAST 4 sets of him alone because my wife, sister and mother all want their own! Many of my friends (who can barely be considered AFOLs) each want one. Everyone has been so disappointed he wasn't included in Orthanc and thus EXPECTED him in a stand alone set. I ain't got no time for deciphering and brick linking all the proper pieces, and neither does anyone else.

I whole heartedly disagree with you. I simply cannot state this enough.

Sauron IS the Lord of the Rings and the main catalyst for the entire book/movie trilogy (& even the Hobbit movies), has the most badass armor and is seen in both trilogies sporting it. EVERYONE I know would buy this, everyone. Even dudes that aren't into Legos!

I agree, but I dunno if Lego would ever see it that way considering he never takes physical form outside the prologue. Lego doesn't seem terribly interested in doing flash back scenes either. We never got old Bilbo or Thror or Thrain from the Battle of Azanulbizar. We never got Girion or the dwarves who fought Smaug when he first arrived at Erebor. Personally I would rather see Sauron over Eowyn or the Witch King (unless he came with a Fel Beast), but that's just my own personal preference.

Treebeard... One of my favorite characters. I would have to get at LEAST 4 sets of him alone because my wife, sister and mother all want their own! Many of my friends (who can barely be considered AFOLs) each want one. Everyone has been so disappointed he wasn't included in Orthanc and thus EXPECTED him in a stand alone set. I ain't got no time for deciphering and brick linking all the proper pieces, and neither does anyone else.

One of YOUR favorite characters doesn't mean he is everyone elses' though. I am just saying, based on most of the wish lists and things I have seen on these forums, Treebeard isn't brought up that much. It's almost always Gondor/Minas Tirith with Eowyn, the Witch King, and Gondor Soldiers, and then the Balrog a close second. Those are the two constantly getting repeated and the sets that seem to be universally agreed on that we need. Anything else is gravy. You listed sets "we need", but really they are just what you want most, not us as a collective community.

Treebeard is easily enough MOC'd from the Ent in Orthanc too. You literally can take 20 pieces or less and make the ent look exactly like Treebeard. It's not difficult at all. If we were to only get two sets I think most would agree they want something totally new rather than another Ent. Especially when we can already MOC the current one fairly easily and it would offer no new characters besides Grishnak (who isn't even that important). Why would you want another Ent who is so easy to create yourself and would offer nothing terribly new or exciting in terms of minifigures when you could get something like an Oliphant instead? I think the list of importance would go:

Minas Tirith (with minimum Eowyn, Witch King on Fel Beast, and Gondor Soldiers. Faramir, Gothmog, Denethor, Merry Rohan, and Gondor Pippin would be icing on the cake)

Balrog

Gondor Army Builder (with more Gondor Soldiers that are massable outside an expensive MT set)

Oliphant

Treebeard and Sauron in a prologue set would make solid entries after these four.. in a fourth wave. Personally I want a Gondor Soldier Army builder, armored Mordor Orcs, a Fel Beast, and an Oliphant. I could care less if we get a Balrog, Minas Tirith, etc., but that's just my own personal opinion.

Edited by Deathleech

I share your fondness of Treebeard, and also regret his absence in the orthanc set, but I have to agree with orhers: this series sells on the mini figures and a Treebeard set would not offer any important missing characters.

If at the end of the day no Treebeard set gets delivered, I'll upload the LDD file of my design onto moc pages so everyone can copy it. You will have to find a substitute for his eyes tho as I used spares from the orthanc set.

Hi, just started collecting LOTR but more on antagonist side as always.lol Will there be more future sets? Thanks.

What we need:

The Balrog - with small breaking bridge build, battle damaged Gandalf & Moria orc archer... $50 (like the Armies of Middle Earth Bridge of Khazad Dum set)

Then either the Ideas style Minas Tirith or a Helms Deep style Minas Tirith (wall build & gate) which would give us the Fell Beast, Armored Witch-king, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, Gondor Soldeirs, Merry & Pip in armor and whatever else...

See, that's not much to close the biggest gaps, it's realistic and lets face it... not too big a risk as it's what all the fans have been wanting since day one.

Your wish list contains two Pippin and two Merry, yet no Frodo, no Legolas, no Sam, no Boromir, no Aragorn, no Gimli. There is no chance they will do that, there are too many missing main characters. Missing main characters is bad for sales to new customers.

Hi, just started collecting LOTR but more on antagonist side as always.lol Will there be more future sets? Thanks.

Unlikely. The only future Lego LotR we will get will be from the dimensions video game. That might help you fill out your main characters, though.

I agree, but I dunno if Lego would ever see it that way considering he never takes physical form outside the prologue.

Do you mean Sauron? I thought that he did appear in dark spiky armor in a physical form, no? Yeah, isn't it crazy that they never did the main villain from the series in his full form? I made a purist custom fig fairly easily, though.

Sauron never appears in the books in his physical form (and the silly flaming eye on top of Barad-Dur thing doesn't exist either... the eye in the books is not a physical manifestation). That didn't deter generations of Tolkien fans from enjoying the works and it didn't prevent Sauron from being a credible threat. Intangible is sometimes scarier than tangible.

Do you mean Sauron? I thought that he did appear in dark spiky armor in a physical form, no? Yeah, isn't it crazy that they never did the main villain from the series in his full form? I made a purist custom fig fairly easily, though.

Can you share a picture?