General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Unfortunately, Armoured Boromir is only in the EE, so I doubt we would get a set with-oh wait, Lego have done loads of EE minifigures, we're probably more likely to get his armoured variant than we are to getting the Witch King (and his fell beast) :cry_sad:

Edited by Dragonlego27

Unfortunately, Armoured Boromir is only in the EE, so I doubt we would get a set with-oh wait, Lego have done loads of EE minifigures, we're probably more likely to get his armoured variant than we are to getting the Witch King (and his fell beast) :cry_sad:

Was going to post the same thing and then remembered that LEGO doesn't seem to care if it's EE or not :)

:D my point exactly :)

This thread is becoming more and more pointless,i'm a huge fan of the whole TLG Tolkien range but seriously guys,get over it,the theme is done!!! There's no need to speculate about what variant we might get or some cause we won't get none!

This whole talking about how the "next"wave should look like or how the last wave could've been made much better is completely pointless and makes me even more sad and angry!

^ I kind of feel the same way but if you dont like the topic dont read it anymore, no need to close it just because some people dont want it, some still do.

Sure, we know that the 3rd wave is probably never coming. However, there's a small chance of getting a set or two through the Ideas - and the recent discussion has been following that angle. If you find it completely pointless, no problem, it's very easy to avoid this thread. Let us beat the dead horse in peace here :)

Edited by IvanStorm

Thank You IvanStorm I agree. If you don't like the discussion, then don't read or comment on it. Even though there may not be any more sets its still a good discussion, and until Lego disapproves of the Minas Tirith set on Ideas I am still holding out hope for at least one more set.

We're a bit beyond the "dead horse" now. I think we're now beating the earth where the horse had once lain, having battered it so many times by now that the poor, brave steed's remains have disappeared entirely from Middle Earth :cry_sad:, while a few fans desperately try to reconstruct it's atoms and resurrect it via Lego Ideas, just so we can beat it past death again in a year or two :grin:.

But, seriously now, although we have a half confirmation, we don't officially know that the theme is finished. Although I know in my heart that I'm probably wrong, I won't accept Lego has discontinued LOTR until three years after the last Middle Earth set has been released.

And sets like BttF and Ghostbusters have shown us that through Lego ideas we can still get sets decades after the films, so not all hope is lost.

And maybe one day we might see more Middle Earth films in the cinemas and Lego might make more sets. One can but hope.

I'm hopeful for a Tolkien movie franchise, similar to Harry Potter. I thought for sure HP was done, but now they're making movies based not on HP directly, but still in that world. The same could be done with Tolkien, especially if you look at the Tolkien world video games. Plus, there is a lack of fantasy IPs right now making movies, so Tolkien movies could fill that role.

That said, I'm hoping some Tolkien movie develops to provide more material and potentially more Lego sets to make.

I'm pretty sure that we're done with Tolkien Movies for the nearest future, since I'm pretty sure they only have movie rights to Hobbit and LOTR, rest of the rights is with the Tolkien Family which absolutely HATES the Jackson movies.

And maybe one day we might see more Middle Earth films in the cinemas and Lego might make more sets. One can but hope.

I'm 99 % certain that LOTR is deader than dead, my only slight glimpse of hope is by some kind of miracle we'll get some sets next Summer. Very slim chance tough..

Do they? It seems to me many people want the minifigs.

I'd prefer a small Minas Tirith set, including a Gondor soldier and white bricks, that would allow for army building much more than a large set. I cannot see lego doing a decent Minas Tirith anyway, so I'd MOC the build itself.

Well I mean if all you want are Gondor Soldiers, there are plenty of other sets they could be included in besides a Minas Tirith one. Most could be made into actual sets much easier too. A Grond set, Witch King on Fel Beast vs Eowyn, anything Osgiliath.. all could include Gondor Soldiers. I like the idea of Minas Tirith because it's a pretty unique looking structure, not just a bunch of ruins or walls like the rest of the LotR/Hobbit sets

We're a bit beyond the "dead horse" now. I think we're now beating the earth where the horse had once lain, having battered it so many times by now that the poor, brave steed's remains have disappeared entirely from Middle Earth :cry_sad:, while a few fans desperately try to reconstruct it's atoms and resurrect it via Lego Ideas, just so we can beat it past death again in a year or two :grin:.

But, seriously now, although we have a half confirmation, we don't officially know that the theme is finished. Although I know in my heart that I'm probably wrong, I won't accept Lego has discontinued LOTR until three years after the last Middle Earth set has been released.

And sets like BttF and Ghostbusters have shown us that through Lego ideas we can still get sets decades after the films, so not all hope is lost.

I will accept that LOTR is finished once we see the summer 2015 sets at the toy fair in January and the Minas Tirith Ideas set gets approved/disapproved by Lego. If there are no LOTR sets at the toy fair and and Minas Tirith isn't approved I think it would be easy to say that the line is finished. Until then I will hold on to the last thread of hope.

I'm surprised that LotR projects have so much difficulty reaching 10000 supporters on Ideas - I would've expected more interest, considering how huge the fanbase is. But apart from the Minas Tirith, all other projects are not doing terribly well. Would've been so nice to get 3-5 projects past the finish line, I'm sure that would've helped TLG to reconsider the future of the LotR line.

Ivan, I think it can be hard to get that much attention for any Ideas set. Though once NujuMetru's set was featured it quickly rose. I have been checking it daily now and it gets more support than we were ever able to get with the Change.org petition.

On Thursday Oct 30 there were 7100+ supporters. Today it is 7719. People that go to the Ideas site and were not thinking about Lord of the Rings are seeing this project promoted. Success breeds success.

I'm surprised that LotR projects have so much difficulty reaching 10000 supporters on Ideas - I would've expected more interest, considering how huge the fanbase is. But apart from the Minas Tirith, all other projects are not doing terribly well. Would've been so nice to get 3-5 projects past the finish line, I'm sure that would've helped TLG to reconsider the future of the LotR line.

You have to also take in account that LOTR fans are mostly AFOLs........... and AFOLS are demanding......... I for one did not support any ideas about LOTR or Tolkien world except the one Minas Tirith (which imo is the only one that can suffice my absolutely minimum standards for a set with WHOLE Minas Tirith)

The fanbase isn't huge.. This forum is one of the biggest (?) LEGO communities in the world, and there's like 10 regulars in these LOTR threads and then the occasional new face..

The fanbase isn't huge.. This forum is one of the biggest (?) LEGO communities in the world, and there's like 10 regulars in these LOTR threads and then the occasional new face..

I thing that there are much more than 10 loyal fans ... :)

The regulars don't represent the actual statistics of the fanbase. There are a number of lurkers. I have lurked here since the first wave of LOTR sets and only started posting recently. and I see now there are 3 guests reading this topic at this moment and only 1 member (me).

There are definitely more than 10 regulars. There just hasn't been any news lately so there isn't much to talk about. When new sets first get revealed you see people come out of the wood work and post and a thread easily jumps several pages in a single day.

Though this has a 1 in 1 billion chance of happening imagine a line of Lego Children of Hurin.

It's not so much a one in a billion thing. In fact I would guess the chances of it happening are probably somewhat better than a LotR third wave. Children of Hurrin will happen eventually. Just not until after Chris Tolkien dies and the surviving family comes to the realization that they really really like gobs of money and movies generate gobs of money.

You have to also take in account that LOTR fans are mostly AFOLs........... and AFOLS are demanding......... I for one did not support any ideas about LOTR or Tolkien world except the one Minas Tirith (which imo is the only one that can suffice my absolutely minimum standards for a set with WHOLE Minas Tirith)

On the contrary, I would imagine that the chief differences between an AFOL and a younger user on Ideas in terms of discriminating sets would be realism and practicality. It's easier for an adult who perhaps has a more acute eye for economics, brand identity and strategy to imagine what Lego might realistically produce. I haven't backed a single thing that I thought had no chance of being developed, regardless of how impressive the build was.

That giant Minas Tirith is impressive and beautiful, but it's an impressive and beautiful MOC; it's just not a Lego set.

It's not so much a one in a billion thing. In fact I would guess the chances of it happening are probably somewhat better than a LotR third wave. Children of Hurrin will happen eventually. Just not until after Chris Tolkien dies and the surviving family comes to the realization that they really really like gobs of money and movies generate gobs of money.

Interesting thought actually: all of the big money now seems to be in epic, long-running, big budget television shows. The work might fit that format better?

A movie will happen eventually, but he was talking about LEGO sets, which will not happen...

I would be a little disappointed if a CoH movie was made, to be honest. :look:

If it happens, well it happens, but I think it's better not to be on film. Just my opinion, though. :classic:

I'm hopeful for a Tolkien movie franchise, similar to Harry Potter. I thought for sure HP was done, but now they're making movies based not on HP directly, but still in that world. The same could be done with Tolkien, especially if you look at the Tolkien world video games. Plus, there is a lack of fantasy IPs right now making movies, so Tolkien movies could fill that role.

That said, I'm hoping some Tolkien movie develops to provide more material and potentially more Lego sets to make.

Shadow of Mordor movie? Pleeeeeease, WB? You can even make it a trilogy if you want!

definitely a dead horse. I've been depressed with the direction lego has went. So, i sold my whole collection. I dont not own a single brick.