General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I agree, I would be fine with just a gate, grond, and figures. The whole of Minas Tirith is just so massive I wouldn't have room to display it.

But if TLG makes another gate set ,then people will complain "It's just another boring wall( or Gate) " , I would rather have a redesigned Nuju Metru/TLG Minas Tirith, myself, but thats just me.

I disagree. The mere presence of Gondor/Gondor soldiers would make up for it. AFOLS would be happy for the most part and the casual kid or parent honestly wouldn't remember/care.

Edited by SirBlake

I would be all for a gate set. Im sure it could be done in a way that wouldnt be boring, the gates themsevles would probably be pretty elaborate. ANd it would probably be a set bought for the figs.

I never expected a whole Mina Tirith. Why make a whole city when the action is only concentrated in a few parts? I used to think we would get the gates, a UHA-style wall, and maybe something like the lighting of the beacon scene. I guess we wont even get that...

I'm thinking UCS Minas Tirith set to please the AFOL's! As I keep hearing over and over again "The LOTR line didn't sell well because it doesn't appeal to children", so make a set for the AFOL's where the sets are selling. Obviously Tower of Orthanc sold well so they should go the UCS route with this one as well.

Though this has a 1 in 1 billion chance of happening imagine a line of Lego Children of Hurin.

I haven't even seen any MOCs based on Children Of Hurin. I think one in a billion is very generous :)

I haven't even seen any MOCs based on Children Of Hurin. I think one in a billion is very generous :)

Yeah, it's just wishful thinking. I could see some cool visions of scenes from the book like Morgoth's fortress, Hurin's throne, and Turin facing the dragon being great Lego builds, but I highly doubt it would happen. I'm working on a small little MOC of Melkor sentencing Hurin to his throne because I haven't seen one yet.

Edited by A Hobbit Fellow

Minas Tirith is now up to 7490 supporters. If it can keep itself on the Ideas frontpage it should be able to get to 10000 in no time. Hopefully the hype for the final Hobbit movie will help keep the momentum going in the coming weeks.

We don't see many book based MOCs in general though, do we? It's usually when a movie adaptation comes out that the MOCs start flooding in.

We don't see many book based MOCs in general though, do we? It's usually when a movie adaptation comes out that the MOCs start flooding in.

Very true, Deathleech. But, I enjoy building MOCs from books because you can kind of let your imagination run wild with it. I also think CoH is just overshadowed by Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.

I love the ideas for Minas Tirith and would get any of the versions suggested, or either of the sets on Lego Ideas, although right now, I'm so desperate for more Middle Earth Lego I would buy a simple plain grey minifigure for fifty pounds if it came with the official Gondor Helm. However, when I was supporting the Barad Dur this morning, I discovered these on the website.

http://ideas.lego.com/projects/83674

http://ideas.lego.com/projects/83671

These projects spectacularly blew my mind, despite the fact they are an MOC prototype, the two sets are both beautifully designed and have captured the mythical feel and epic grandeur of the Silmarillion perfectly. I also feel that the designer of the sets has captured the minifigures really well, I especially like Melkor, although with Lego printing he could be even better. What do you guys think?

I know that usually a set, or series of sets, have to have a multimedia supporter, unless they are unlicensed, but I truly hope these two sets, and hopefully many future more, are somehow approved by Lego. The Silmarillion, despite the fact that many think of it as a boring fictional history book (I'm generalising here and do not intend to aim this at anyone in this forum), the novel has many moments of epic drama and these two sets somehow embody the scenes perfectly.

Not bad, but not the scenes I would've picked from Silmarillion. The part with the lamps, especially, was tiny and rather insignificant in the book, I barely remember them. Anyway, I wouldn't count on any Silmarillion project to get the required support - even LotR, which is infinitely more popular, is struggling with that.

As there is already some MOC's of these sets, it think there is a 2 in a billion chance of the sets being made :grin:

I know they aren't particularly well known scenes, but I merely wished to draw the forum's attention to the sets as well as the designer's impressive abilities (in my opinion) to manage to represent such difficult parts of the book (I barely knew what was going on when I first read that part). I also have a soft spot for Lego Werewolves and dark sorcerers such as Morgoth/Melkor.

Wow, those Silmarillion sets are beautiful but of course they would never be made. Really stunningly designed though. Makes me feel a bit ashamed of my Silmarillion-inspired MEC entry. Would love to see this creator do Gondolin or Alqualonde. I think I'd rather see Elven/Human/Dwarven locations in general - I suppose because I feel places like Valmar ought to be too magestic and ethereal to depict in lego.

Edited by Srbandrews

I thought that Gondolin or Nargothrond would have a higher chance of being made via Lego ideas (if someone actually designed them) but unfortunately Gondolin would look a bit too much like Minas Tirith and as for Nargothrond-an underground kingdom full of riches inhabited by an evil dragon-ring any bells?

I thought that Gondolin or Nargothrond would have a higher chance of being made via Lego ideas (if someone actually designed them)

As Christopher Tolkien is currently the only owner of Silmarilion license the chance is zero at the moment.

It could be done, but that would be really lame. Most people want the entire Minas Tirith city, not a single wall piece. It also would leave out tons of play features like exploding walls, catapults (that actually belong!), a battering ram for the front gates, etc.

Do they? It seems to me many people want the minifigs.

I'd prefer a small Minas Tirith set, including a Gondor soldier and white bricks, that would allow for army building much more than a large set. I cannot see lego doing a decent Minas Tirith anyway, so I'd MOC the build itself.

Do they? It seems to me many people want the minifigs.

I'd prefer a small Minas Tirith set, including a Gondor soldier and white bricks, that would allow for army building much more than a large set. I cannot see lego doing a decent Minas Tirith anyway, so I'd MOC the build itself.

For my part, I couldn't give a hoot if we never get a Minas Tirith set. The set I've been dreaming of for over a year now would be a $30 Osgiliath Ruins set with Armored Faramir, Gondorians, and some (proper) Mordor Orcs. I don't think you can ever do Minas Tirith justice at this point, all that really matters is the missing minifigs.

Minas Tirith has a better design point for lego designers than Osgilliath, because how many ruins have we gotten in LOTR and The Hobbit by now? Although I can understand the problems with attempting to build the city, their execution of Helm's Deep gives me faith that, if they ever attempt, or have already attempted to create it in a reasonably designed set, they could pull it off.

Osgilliath does have enormous play potential, within the £30 mark it could have an building with a platform for archers and an exploding function, a small catapult and the Orc landing boats from RotK, plus the six minifigures. You wouldn't even need anything apart from that for Gondor, that would give us pretty much everything we would need.

It could even attach to another Osgilliath set, at £40, with the Witch King.

My only question would be: which Faramir would we get?

My only question would be: which Faramir would we get?

Faramir in Ranger gear, since you can easily swap the heads with a Gondor Soldier to get "Gondor Armor Faramir" :wink:

Minas Tirith is now up to 7490 supporters. If it can keep itself on the Ideas frontpage it should be able to get to 10000 in no time. Hopefully the hype for the final Hobbit movie will help keep the momentum going in the coming weeks.

It is over 7600 supporters now. Hopefully this will hit 10000 before the end of the year so that it can get in the next review period.

For my part, I couldn't give a hoot if we never get a Minas Tirith set. The set I've been dreaming of for over a year now would be a $30 Osgiliath Ruins set with Armored Faramir, Gondorians, and some (proper) Mordor Orcs. I don't think you can ever do Minas Tirith justice at this point, all that really matters is the missing minifigs.

I definitely think the figures are more important at this point. I would rather see Lego make all those minfigs and put them in a Minas Tirith set and then I can make my own custom Osgiliath. Osgiliath is just a bunch of castle ruins, it would be much easier to make your own Osgiliath than it would Minas Tirith.

Edited by Bycougars

Faramir in Ranger gear, since you can easily swap the heads with a Gondor Soldier to get "Gondor Armor Faramir" :wink:

No, the idea is to get Knight Faramir, so you can swap out Faramir's head and armybuild Gondorians. Any Faramir is fine, it is (or would be, in a world where this could happen) getting Gondorians that's the priority. Faramir's Ranger torso is pretty unique, more than one is a waste.