General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I don't get all the hate around Mouth of Sauron... I think he is awesome!

Yeah I agree, Mouth is probably my favorite "bad guy" LEGO figure from both Tolkien series, and in the film I thought he was brilliantly executed and terrifying. I was very excited when I saw they made a figure of him, largely because I didn't think it was a possibility.

My assumption was that they knew they wanted to make a Black Gate set, and decided to include him because there wasn't anything else iconic/unique they felt they could put into the set. It already had repeat characters (though in different armor) which is kind of boring, so maybe instead of just including a bunch of orcs (or another troll, which may have been cost prohibitive for that price range) they designed an awesome, unique bad guy figure. Who cares if he only shows up in the EE version? He's a legitimate character from the books; I just see this is a fan-service move, despite the fact that most of the MOC crowd seems to be outraged by his existence because there's no Gondor soldier. Again, I get that perspective, but it is what it is. I'd feel an equal sense of lost opportunity if they hadn't ever made the Mouth figure, knowing how well it turned out.

It's weird, I find myself disagreeing with most of the popular negative perspectives on this site. I think my relative level of disconnect from the LEGO community combined with my pure appreciation for Tolkien allows me to enjoy the releases a little more for what they are.

Edited by bachamn

I think the issue people have with the Mouth of Sauron is the same issue they have with the Pirate Ship Ambush set. It's a nice set and all, but it obviously took the place of something else that might have been MUCH more important. It's like Arwen; she is a cool minifigure to have, but did we really need her before Eowyn? I don't think anyone can really argue Arwen is more important than Eowyn, yet we never got an Eowyn minifigure. It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

I would love a Pirate Ship Ambush set and the Mouth of Sauron... if they came out in a third or fourth wave. It would be like getting Grand Moff Tarkin and never getting Darth Vader, or getting the B Wing but never the X Wing. They are definetly cool to have, but not when they take the place of something vastly more important to the story.

Edited by Deathleech

I don't think anyone can really argue Arwen is more important than Eowyn,

I dunno, in the films I think there's actually a pretty strong argument for this. Arwen saves Frodo twice (including defeating all of the Nazgul at the same time), then marries Aragorn and has a son, effectively rekindling the line of kings in Gondor.

Eowyn slays the witch king, with help, swoons for a while, then settles down with Faramir after the war is over.

I'd 100% agree with you if we were talking about the books, since Arwen isn't much more than a generic princess character serving a purpose, but the films make Arwen out to be a lot more significant than she was intended to be. Apparently the early cuts of the film even had her fighting at Helm's Deep. Ugh.

Edited by bachamn

I think the issue people have with the Mouth of Sauron is the same issue they have with the Pirate Ship Ambush set. It's a nice set and all, but it obviously took the place of something else that might have been MUCH more important. It's like Arwen; she is a cool minifigure to have, but did we really need her before Eowyn? I don't think anyone can really argue Arwen is more important than Eowyn, yet we never got an Eowyn minifigure. It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

I would love a Pirate Ship Ambush set and the Mouth of Sauron... if they came out in a third or fourth wave. It would be like getting Grand Moff Tarkin and never getting Darth Vader, or getting the B Wing but never the X Wing. They are definetly cool to have, but not when they take the place of something vastly more important to the story.

I would have to agree wtih you there, sets like Pirate ship ambush and council of elrond would have been better sets for a third wave, after they had made some Gondor sets and maybe the Balrog.

Those sets could work fine enought as they is if there would be third wave, and in that case it will be more understandable to put Gondor soldier into the BBG set...

Even if that were the case, why make a minifigure out of such a minor character when there are much more important characters that could have been made? And why make a character who is kind of scary to younger kids and gets decapitated?

Like others have said, I would wager the designers had the black gate set on the table, and the MoS was a cool fig that fit the scene. And as for a scary character that gets decapitated, well, we got Lurtz...

Its not like I cant imagine more appealing figs or sets, but the MoS is one of the best we got, IMO.

I'm amazed people are still discussing this.. I am saddened because I'd love more and there is so much LEGO could do with this license, but they failed. LEGO tends to do that these days.

As far as everything stated, I will agree. Pirate ship and Rivendell are neat on their own, but I'd love to have them later after we got other sets OR if they would have used them when they did, but still intended to give us something more later on. But that isn't the case, unfortunately.

I actually really like Rivendell set. I don't care too much for the Pirate ship set, even though I love pirate ships!! But then again I'm not the target audience, so maybe other ship builders loved that set?? I understand their justification of using that set when they did, but I don't think it worked out too well for them in reality. Leave the pirate ship sets to the pirates theme and we will be all set.

I'd love Eowyn also. But boys don't want to play with girl minifigures, icky... Next up, mini-dolls versions of Arwen and Eowyn. That'll be perfect.

Like others have said, I would wager the designers had the black gate set on the table, and the MoS was a cool fig that fit the scene. And as for a scary character that gets decapitated, well, we got Lurtz...

Its not like I cant imagine more appealing figs or sets, but the MoS is one of the best we got, IMO.

Really the set choice is the problem then. I understand the Black Gates are cool looking and the setting of the final battle, but really they are just another wall. Many others have proposed MUCH better sets that would easily fill the four wave two slots.

I think that both internally at Lego, as well as all of the fans around the world want SOME sort of Gondor set that would at least get us the core RotK goodness we are still in need of to complete out collection. If it's going to happen, NOW is the time to try and get it to 10k.

Besides the Balrog & a true Treebeard, this set could include ALL we really need... Armored Witch-King (who's to say they haven't already made the helm?), Fell Beast (Smaug body & wings, new head might already exist), Armored Eowyn, Faramir (either or), Denethor, Gondor Soldier, Gothmog, Guritz & some more Mordor orcs... plus a decent Minas Tirith build.

I agree with this in regards to giving us most of what we want. My only other requests would be a Balrog (iconoic moment), Last Alliance (Sauron, Gil-galad, Elendil), and Osgiliath (I just think it would make a good lego set) sets.

I agree with this in regards to giving us most of what we want. My only other requests would be a Balrog (iconoic moment), Last Alliance (Sauron, Gil-galad, Elendil), and Osgiliath (I just think it would make a good lego set) sets.

Amen brother ... the Balrog is my #1 most wanted set. And The Last Alliance would be sweet. An Osgiliath set could include the iconic Ringwraith & Fell Beast, Faramir, Madril, Gothmog... Could be a TTT set *or* a RotK set... I also really want a true Treebeard.

If they had only made one LOTR set like as an ideas set, I would have guessed Balrog.

I think the Balrog is probably the only LotR set that could be made through Lego Ideas, because it doesn't require any new molds, just new prints and TLG already made a design for it, plus the only minifigure that it needs to come with is Gandalf.

Balrog.png

P.S.If TLG changed thoughs wings for the Smaug wings they could save on the piece count.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Hi there,

Following the discussions and wishlists on the last 10 pages of this topic i noticed that most wishes are related to the minifigures: Gondorian soldiers, Witch-King, Some armoured elves, Eowyn, Faramir Gothmog, orcs etc. etc. Not sure if it has been mentioned before:

Would it not be cost effectiv for TLC if they just made a minifigures run ( Like the Simpsons ? ) I think most of us would buy a box :classic:

I know the sets generate the most for TLC but since the stopped making sets this seems to be the next best thing to fulfill the wishes of the AFOL middle earth fans

Edited by Kyrasdad

I'd be against the minifigure run..

1) I want a balrog and a fell beast!

2) The minifigures would be the nasty chinese crap quality, I want danish plastic!

3) Is it egen possible? LEGO cant make a Star Wars minifig line because theyd count as action figures, and LEGO doesnt have a license for that, some other company has. Id assume LOTR is the same.

I think the Balrog is probably the only LotR set that could be made through Lego Ideas, because it doesn't require any new molds, just new prints and TLG already made a design for it, plus the only minifigure that it needs to come with is Gandalf.

Balrog.png

P.S.If TLG changed thoughs wings for the Smaug wings they could save on the piece count.

Exactly, this is such a cool Balrog, granted the fires could no longer be done like that (sadly) I would instantly buy 2 of those sets, if it came with damaged Gandalf face and hopefully another Boromir perhaps for like 26.99 or something.

Add a Gondor Battle pack for 39.99 and Fell Beast for 60 or 70 (depending if it comes with snowmane and another Theoden or maybe some easterling/haradrim) and there is room for 120$ part of Minas Tirith (gate + grond?) or maybe Ruins of Osgilliath(which i would prefer for smallest set with Faramir + Frodo on ruins....

I always thought that an army builder with Faramir, Gondor Ranger, and multiple Haradrim as well as a brickbuilt Oliphaunt would sell well... Gondor Soldiers, Witchking, Faramir and Eowyn are some of the figures that I thought we'd get for sure when the theme was first announced. :/

I would love for Minas Tirith to make it to 10,000 supporters. It is unlikely that LEGO would make this set via Ideas or even make another LotR set. However, it would require internal discussions on LotR. That by itself would be a major victory.

Who knows, there may even be such a set later. The UCS Tumbler and UCS Sandcrawler were both rejected by CUUSOO / Ideas but very similar sets were made.

I would love for Minas Tirith to make it to 10,000 supporters. It is unlikely that LEGO would make this set via Ideas or even make another LotR set. However, it would require internal discussions on LotR. That by itself would be a major victory.

Who knows, there may even be such a set later. The UCS Tumbler and UCS Sandcrawler were both rejected by CUUSOO / Ideas but very similar sets were made.

Could not agree more, I don't think there is anyway it will pass but its the best way to show lego that afol still want more.

2) The minifigures would be the nasty chinese crap quality, I want danish plastic!

Quite a few of the existing LOTR minifig parts were made in China.

Yes but the CMF minifigs are all made in china wether or not most of the figures in LOTR theme weren't made in china it seems likely that if a LOTR CMF series was made all the figs would be made in china