General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

All I could think of was "a mammoth with cannons on its back?!" Why oh why Lego? :ugh:

Chima is full of 'what should of been' for LOTR/Hobbit line.

The Lion Chi Temple 70010 is set up exactly the way a perfect Dol Goldur Battle set would have been.

Chima is full of 'what should of been' for LOTR/Hobbit line.

The Lion Chi Temple 70010 is set up exactly the way a perfect Dol Goldur Battle set would have been.

Actually, the Chima lion temple set would work pretty well for Erebor. It's big, imposing and around the same price point. Too bad reports said it was mostly interior based and open rather than a 'complete' set like this you referenced.

Also it could work for other locations like Minas morgul, Minas tirith courtyard or even Osgiliath.

Since I'm stubborn, in denial, or crazy I think we'll see something at the end of this year or bright and early in 2015. The LEGO Movie sets will only be around for a year I'm guessing, and they take up a ton of shelf space. Plus the new Star Wars sets won't be out until I would think closer to the release of the movies. Just some food for thought. Based on what everyone has been talking about here and what I think would sell well for Lego here are some quick set thoughts.

I bet LEGO could/will do a brick Balrog set for $25-$30. Just the Balrog, Gandalf, and maybe an Orc. A collapsible bridge would be cool but it isn't needed and will keep the set price down.

I really love this http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/41453 model for a fell beast. Throw in Eowyn, and Merry and I'm sure you could keep the cost much lower then Dragon Mountain. $30-$35ish?

Brick built Mumakil with Legolas and 1 or 2 Gordon soldiers and a bunch of Haradrim for $50. Something similar to Attack of the Ward's for price and minifigs count as long as the Oliphant looks good.

Lastly 2 sets for Minas Tirith. I want big as do many others (excluding Alcarin, he seems to love the Cuusoo MOC

Do you know how many pieces was used to build that?

Around 900. Even with Grond and interiors etc. I think the design could quite easily be less than 1300 pieces (i.e. the size of The Battle of Helm's Deep).

Around 900. Even with Grond and interiors etc. I think the design could quite easily be less than 1300 pieces (i.e. the size of The Battle of Helm's Deep).

It would certainly take a very skilled designer, or team of designers to pull that off. Minas Tirith is simply a difficult structure to recreate. Nuju Metru's MOC is great, but not quite what a final, sellable model should look like.

I don't think any of you guys would be 100% happy with whatever form of Minas Tirith set that would be released, if we even get one.

I bet LEGO could/will do a brick Balrog set for $25-$30. Just the Balrog, Gandalf, and maybe an Orc. A collapsible bridge would be cool but it isn't needed and will keep the set price down.

I really love this http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/41453 model for a fell beast. Throw in Eowyn, and Merry and I'm sure you could keep the cost much lower then Dragon Mountain. $30-$35ish?

Bring it on! I'm really hoping for both, and a brick built Treebeard too. Even if the Fell Beast was molded, I'd buy at least 3.

I don't think any of you guys would be 100% happy with whatever form of Minas Tirith set that would be released, if we even get one.

Bring it on! I'm really hoping for both, and a brick built Treebeard too. Even if the Fell Beast was molded, I'd buy at least 3.

Didn't we get treebeard in Ortanc?

It's an "Ent", not Treebeard :D

Its ANY Ent you want it to be really... so it can very well be Treebeard. remember its LEGO :)

Its ANY Ent you want it to be really... so it can very well be Treebeard. remember its LEGO :)

That's what I wrote... It's an Ent, not "SPECIALLY" Treebeard ;)

Too bad Lego doesn't get into the Kickstarter thing. I know Gondor would do exceeding well in that arena and fans would be able to get what they want. Especially if stretch goals added more portions of Gondor or extra army-builders...

Anyone seen this Legends of Chima set from Toy Fair? I'd love to get a similar designed Mumakil.

Why not buy this set and use it as a Mumakil? Is it too big?

Why not buy this set and use it as a Mumakil? Is it too big?

I think it's pretty darn ugly, also, that set is a vehcile made to look like a 'zombie' mammoth.

Also it's brown, Oliphants are grey.

I think it's pretty darn ugly, also, that set is a vehcile made to look like a 'zombie' mammoth.

Also it's brown, Oliphants are grey.

but other than that its good :grin:

Edited by SMC

I'd argue that it has a good basic parts pack for an Oliphant. Take the skeleton, then mod it and add the right colors... Boom! Oliphant! :laugh:

But first you have to take the laser cannons off its back. Oliphants don't have laser cannons. Neither do mammoths come to think of it...

But first you have to take the laser cannons off its back. Oliphants don't have laser cannons. Neither do mammoths come to think of it...

That part's detachable. :wink:

It would certainly take a very skilled designer, or team of designers to pull that off.

Yeah, but I think the designers at Lego could do it. They have, after all, a lot of experience of "gates and walls" sets. The biggest problem I suppose would be making the set self-sustaining with enough play possibilies. Would the gates and walls be enough, if there was nothing much behind to defend? They did add the throne room to Helm's Deep set for a good reason.

Do kids REALLY like this? I'm 25 and I can still remember that I didn't like such toys when I was younger.

I think an AT-AT would be a better Oliphant than this mammoth ;)

The biggest problem I suppose would be making the set self-sustaining with enough play possibilies. Would the gates and walls be enough, if there was nothing much behind to defend?

Even if it were just the front gates of Minas Tirith, I think there would be plenty of play features to keep kids entertained. Lego could make Grond swing back and forth and the front gates explode open to reenact that scene in the film. They could also include plenty of catapults/trebuchets that actually make sense and BELONG in the set (unlike in other sets where they will throw a catapult or flick fire missile in a tree or rock). Ideally you would have a bunch of good and bad guys trying to besiege/defend the city which is always fun, and possibly a cool Fel Beast figure to swoosh around.

I don't think the play features would be an issue at all. I think keeping the scale and overall design of Minas Tirith in tact while trying to hit a certain price point would by far be Lego's biggest issue. I mean Lego did the Black Gates as a set it literally had nothing except a catapult, trap door Lego made up (not in the films), and the gates that opened and closed. The set is literally just a tower and wall piece. If Lego can make a set of that I am sure a MT gate would be significantly more interesting.