General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

If you like this specific model or not, you really should support the project in order to show LEGO we want mroe lotr aswell as mians tirith to get made. (just to be clear I didn't make this model or project)

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/36275

7688919374_332d4a2741.jpg

2400 supporters isn't bad. But I think we can drive the numbers up a bit.

Even if the lotr line technically ends, WB and LEGO still has a good relationship so the potential for it to get made in the future is there.

Stop pushing and advertising for this crappy design of Minas Tirith... those who want will find it and those who do not obviously do not care enough....

Really...

A Minas Tirith like that makes the actual Minas Tirith a huge shame.... and thats it.... you can say you like it just cos you want it made.... but that is no Set material there....

What? This is NOT crappy design...this is IMHO the only way how TLG could create Minas Tirith. BTW do you like LEGO Helms Deep? Because you could say that that version of Helms Deep makes the actual Helms Deep a huge shame...but those are LEGO sets..not realistic models from the films...

That is indeed a crappy design. That hardly looks like Minas Tirith, it lacks some distinct, vital parts of the design.. In comparison Helms Deep is great, sure it's a tad small but it features the most important parts of Helms Deep..

Also you can't compare them, Helms Deep is much easier to make a set out of since Minas Tirith is over 10 times as big as Helms Deep..

Your opinion on the quality of the design is somewhar irellevant. If you want any Minas tirith lego set at all you should support it. Lego DOes not copy the design from the lego projects, they take the idea and make it into their own design.

If you want a minas tirith but don't like that particular design you have the option to write that into the form you get before supporting.

I think there will be a third, allbeit small, wave. I think TLG originally planned the LOTR waves as a teaser for the Hobbit sets. There's definitely a connection between the two lines. With the decision to make three instead of two Hobbit movies, TLG might have decided to cut the second and last wave of both hobbit and LOTR in two sections.

Instead of two waves with 7 or 8 sets, we will see three waves, the first with seven, the second and third with 4 each (not counting Tower of Orthanc). That leaves room for a few iconic scenes not yet depicted in a set and explaines why the second wave was smaller.

I think there will be a third, allbeit small, wave. I think TLG originally planned the LOTR waves as a teaser for the Hobbit sets. There's definitely a connection between the two lines. With the decision to make three instead of two Hobbit movies, TLG might have decided to cut the second and last wave of both hobbit and LOTR in two sections.

Instead of two waves with 7 or 8 sets, we will see three waves, the first with seven, the second and third with 4 each (not counting Tower of Orthanc). That leaves room for a few iconic scenes not yet depicted in a set and explaines why the second wave was smaller.

Makes sense.

That's a great looking set, though it would have to be released before the LOTR line ends, as that's how these licenses work. TLG would not spend the money to re-up the license from WB just for one set in the future.

Edited by Hawkman

Stop pushing and advertising for this crappy design of Minas Tirith... those who want will find it and those who do not obviously do not care enough....

Really...

A Minas Tirith like that makes the actual Minas Tirith a huge shame.... and thats it.... you can say you like it just cos you want it made.... but that is no Set material there....

Then do us the courtesy of linking a 'suitable' Minas Tirith that's also economically viable for Lego LOTR fans to buy. Please.

That's a great looking set, though it would have to be released before the LOTR line ends, as that's how these licenses work. TLG would not spend the money to re-up the license from WB just for one set in the future.

Well, lego constantly works with WB on alot of things, and nothing stopping lego from lisencing for 1 more set unless some other brick company has the lisence. It's not like the back to the future set didnt happen.

I sense a curse... of the black pearl. Seriously, these reactions remind me of the PotC forum 3 years ago.

I want pintel & ragetti ~ I want galadriel and witch king

I hope for a D2C Flying dutchman ~ I hope for a D2C Minas Tirith.

'One more wave and all essential scenes are covered!'

I disagree. PotC was a one-shot theme that only existed due to a single movie that no one really liked and faded from public memory rather quickly, whereas the Hobbit / LotR trilogies have been put back into the public's mind. Also, Pintel and Ragetti were very minor characters, and while Galadriel and the Witch-King of Angmar are also minor characters, they play a big role in advancing the plot of both trilogies (Galadriel sending Gandalf to the High Fells, then (apparently) leading a rescue and driving Sauron out of Dol Guldur, giving Frodo the Light of Ëarendil, convincing Elrond to send out the elves to help Rohan at Helm's Deep, and the Witch-King attacking Radagast, this starting the whole "Dol Guldur Affair", and killing Théoden, forcing Éowyn into action and her "big hero moment").

I supported that Minas Tirith just as I supported the creator's Edoras model. Both are appealing. There may be value in supporting Lord of the Rings projects on CUUSOO but that won't counteract whatever sells data TLG has. Also CUUSOO projects have an initial production run of 10,000 to 20,000 units so they cannot support new models that many of us want for Gondor.

I truly hope that we get another wave of LEGO Lord of the Rings. I think there are more sets that have been designed but LEGO probably has already made their decision as they have to schedule production and shelf space for a wave.

This line brought me out of my dark ages but I will still be an AFOL when it finally sunsets. But the current Castle line was so disappointing that I only bought the smallest set while the older Kingdoms line had me trying to find the few remaining sets to buy.

If the line has ended, there are a couple of bright points:

(1) More spending money this summer for vacation and MOCs

(2) The Battle of Pellenor Fields will be easily won by the good guys. Surely, Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, The King of the Dead, and Two Dead Soldiers will be able to overcome the two orcs and their catapult, because that is all that represents Gondor in Lego.

When the second wave came out, I was puzzled and a little excited as well. It almost appeared like it was setting up for the third wave. No one in their right mind would have designed these sets if they were the ones meant to finish out the wave. Two of them were based on extended scenes which were not viewed by many. I find it hard to believe that the Mouth of Sauron would take precedence over the Witch King and that a pirate ship would be more important than Minas Tirith or Osgilliath. The Council of Elrond was the AFOL set, and Wizard Battle was the token affordable set with playability features. Orthanc was great to get, and I am glad we got at least that if this is the end.

Hopefully, we will know soon whether this is really the end or not.

As for the Cuusoo Minas Tirith, it certainly looks nice, far better than I could have designed. Surely, it is better than nothing. If it came with a Witch King and Gondor soldiers, that would really be great.

and the Witch-King attacking Radagast, this starting the whole "Dol Guldur Affair",

Maybe, with what PJ is doing with the Hobbit, we'll see the Witch-king in that line?

It's a very real possibility that he (and the other 8 ) show up at the final dol goldur battle, so we get Galadriel and the Witch-king.

This wouldn't give us the sets we want, but at least we get some of the figs we want.

Really? Why? The first wave had so much going for it. It had almost double the amount of sets so there were more options, the scenes were more iconic as a whole and seemed better built, and there weren't near as many figure rehashes (though admittedly this was because it was the first wave). The second wave was just so meh. Wizard Battle and Council of Elrond were cool, except the Council set had more Gimli and Frodo rehashes. Black Gates was a nice iconic set, but it was little more than a black wall and Lego advertised buying two yet had a horrible minifigure selection if you did buy that many. The Pirate Ship Ambush was the big flagship set and yet it was based on a scene not even in the films 10 minutes, even in the extended editions. The Mordor Orcs in all the sets were the same we got in the first wave but with Uruk-hai armor. Of the 20 minifigures in the wave, only 11 were new or variants (and that's counting things like Gandalf with hair).

I thought Rivendell was well done, the Wizard Duel is my favorite cheap set yet, and I absolutely love Orthanc. I am a sucker for the big sets. I also thought the Black Gate was great - love Mouth of Sauron, Gandalf the White, and Aragorn the King. Mainly I like it (the second wave) better because ROTK is my second favorite movie of all time - Orthanc, Pirate Ship, and the Black Gate were awesome. It really is just scene preference. For example I disliked the decision to include a Weathertop set, as well as a Moria set without the Balrog in the first wave.

I disagree. PotC was a one-shot theme that only existed due to a single movie that no one really liked and faded from public memory rather quickly, whereas the Hobbit / LotR trilogies have been put back into the public's mind. Also, Pintel and Ragetti were very minor characters, and while Galadriel and the Witch-King of Angmar are also minor characters, they play a big role in advancing the plot of both trilogies.

Well, I just wanted to show similarities between themes that are likely to end although most of us don't want them to end.

And ok, Pintel & Ragetti weren't major characters but I could have easily put Tia Dalma & Cutler Beckett who were major parts in those movies. Don't need to split hairs here :wink: .

I actually wouldn't mind that there aren't any sets this summer but I do hope for a Smaug set to compensate it. In the meantime I could catch up with this theme because I still need to buy most of the new Hobbit DoS sets, Uruk-hai Army, Orc Forge & The Black gate... And those last 3 seem to be disappearing faster than they should. :hmpf_bad:

What? This is NOT crappy design...this is IMHO the only way how TLG could create Minas Tirith. BTW do you like LEGO Helms Deep? Because you could say that that version of Helms Deep makes the actual Helms Deep a huge shame...but those are LEGO sets..not realistic models from the films...

The only way for Minas Tirith to be made does not make it NOT crappy....

I agree its one of the few options but that makes it no less crappy....

Then do us the courtesy of linking a 'suitable' Minas Tirith that's also economically viable for Lego LOTR fans to buy. Please.

13383435112_DISPLAY.jpg

Just in white more or less and some black topings for roofs.... and make it Chrome tower atleast the last bit.

This MOC above is around 100 times more realistic than that Minas Tirith above....

The fact that it ''only'' got 2400 votes for probably the coolest City in Middle Earth from LEGO and LOTR fans of millions and anyone who is a LEGO fan a little more than the next Soccer mom knows of Cuusoo shows that the projection is pretty bad.... I bet there are hundreds if not thousands more like me who love LEGO LOTR but absolutely hate that piece of white whatever.

A LOTR sets would only sell if

1. They are needed to complete fellowship!

2. AFOL who is above 14 looks at them and says ''THIS is what I want because it looks beautiful''

And that Minas Tirith Above is neither.... As I said ages ago.... make it Courtyard with White Tower and then also make 1st level of wall + gates + Grond (or even add siege tower) 2 perfect sets to fit 140$ cost... or even make COurtyard with Tower D2C like Orthanc and make it 200$ set....

A full Minas Tirith in 1 set only works if the price point is the same or even higher than Death Star.

Really...

It's crappy for you. Remember that not everyone shares your opinion. Therefore, let's be civilized and respectful and stop telling people what to do or how to think.

It's crappy for you. Remember that not everyone shares your opinion. Therefore, let's be civilized and respectful and stop telling people what to do or how to think.

This Minas Tirith is just good but it wont work as a set, maybe in architecture line but not in LOTr. If TLG relase some kind of set based on MT it should be 1 set even if the price will be aroun 300 bucks.

It seems its ''crappy'' for everyone except 2400 supporters really :) I mean if it would not be, everyone would register and vote for it....

2400 votes for arguably the most adored fiction book (+ movies) in ''history'' is a poor showing to say the least....

The point is IT IS crappy.... I bet even those who supported it, if they could envision a true Minas Tirith it would be 10 times better.... they just supported it because its the best of the worst and also because you guys do not think what it would look the best but how to match a price point.... So you openly ''destroy'' actual opinion....

Thats the whole point.... most arguments that came back to me include ''show better that is ECONOMICALLY possible'' and that actually ruins all good, bad, okish, arguing because Noone said it has to fill a 140$ or 120$ or 90$ etc.... A cuusoo project is limited in 10.000 or 20.000 anyway... so Why could we not think of a 500$ 20.000 limited run Minas Tirith... that is actually Minas Tirith....

It seems its ''crappy'' for everyone except 2400 supporters really :) I mean if it would not be, everyone would register and vote for it....

2400 votes for arguably the most adored fiction book (+ movies) in ''history'' is a poor showing to say the least....

The point is IT IS crappy.... I bet even those who supported it, if they could envision a true Minas Tirith it would be 10 times better.... they just supported it because its the best of the worst and also because you guys do not think what it would look the best but how to match a price point.... So you openly ''destroy'' actual opinion....

Thats the whole point.... most arguments that came back to me include ''show better that is ECONOMICALLY possible'' and that actually ruins all good, bad, okish, arguing because Noone said it has to fill a 140$ or 120$ or 90$ etc.... A cuusoo project is limited in 10.000 or 20.000 anyway... so Why could we not think of a 500$ 20.000 limited run Minas Tirith... that is actually Minas Tirith....

What is your problem? Instead of being extremely rude and disrespectful, if you want an accurate Minas Tirith i suggest you build your own and submit it to CUUSOO.

What is your problem? Instead of being extremely rude and disrespectful, if you want an accurate Minas Tirith i suggest you build your own and submit it to CUUSOO.

being rude and disrespectful and telling truth is 2 different things..... Did I lie? If some Western layout City that got rejected on Cuusoo got 10k votes before minas Tirith... which (if done right) would be million times better and more awe inspiring than ANY Western City from ''Texas'' than it says it all.... All i am doing is wording it for people who cannot connect the dots to read it :)

If you cannot ''survive'' the ''harsh'' words I wonder how come you did not ''die'' yet in this harsh world.... and that was also truth not rude....

being rude and disrespectful and telling truth is 2 different things..... Did I lie? If some Western layout City that got rejected on Cuusoo got 10k votes before minas Tirith... which (if done right) would be million times better and more awe inspiring than ANY Western City from ''Texas'' than it says it all.... All i am doing is wording it for people who cannot connect the dots to read it :)

If you cannot ''survive'' the ''harsh'' words I wonder how come you did not ''die'' yet in this harsh world.... and that was also truth not rude....

The amount of votes a project gets on CUUSOO does not determine whether or not a project is well designed. CUUSOO is about sharing the idea of the set, the final model would have very little to do with the concept one. But instead of saying how Nuju Metru's model is 'crap' all around, express why you dislike it and what could be changed without boosting the price range by hundreds of dollars. A $500 Minas Tirith is NEVER going to happen.

Great ideas! For Minas Tirith, it would be nice to get a Non-conflict Minas Tirith with a trebuchet and Fell beast in another set-or maybe stick with your good ideas.

Alcarin, your condescending posts have been going on for far too long in this thread. Please do try to show a bit of respect toward your fellow posters. Your opinion is just that -- your opinion.

Two things:

1) Leave moderating to moderators and

2) Let's up the level of respect in here. I will start discipline if we can't be civil.

Really...

This is exactly the type of set LEGO would design though, and telling a member what he can or can't post is not your responsibility. You can make your points without making someone feel stupid.