General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

A thing I would like (not for wasting a "slot") would be if they released another half of the black gate with a diferent set of minifigures.

change the eagle with a troll

change the mouth of sauron and an orc with 2 easterlings

and change the heroes + an orc with Frodo, Sam and Gollum

Edited by deskp

Good idea. But it's the Mouth of Sauron, not the Witch King. (nerd correction time!)

Omg, I do know that really well, REALLY! I don't know how I ended up writing that, but it's edited now! :facepalm:

A thing I would like (not for wasting a "slot") would be if they released another half of the black gate with a diferent set of minifigures.

change the eagle with a troll

change the mouth of sauron and an orc with 2 easterlings

and change the heroes + an orc with Frodo, Sam and Gollum

I would love for Lego to do something like this as it would make the minifigures from buying two different Black Gate sets not near as bad. Of course they never will because they already released the Black Gate once and advertised buying two of them. Plus I don't think they have ever done something like that before, released two identicle sets other than the minifigs?

As for the top three sets, mine would have to be:

A huge $150+ Minas Tirith

Eowyn vs Witch King on Fel Beast (if not in Minas Tirith set)

Gondor Soldier/Mordor Orc (new print PLEASE) army builder similar to the Uruk-hai Army set

Balrog (if Eowyn/Witch King is in big Minas Tirith set)

My topmost wanted sets list:

1. Defence of Minas Tirith - Gates of the City, Grond the battering ram, either Faramir or Gandalf on horse (Faramir would obviously be better for army building and he hasn't yet appeared as minifigure, but storywise Gandalf would be a better fit, even if PJ quite botched this scene), two Gondor soldiers, three orcs. The details of this set aren't that important as long as we get a Gondor soldier - everything else is gravy. It's a deader-horse-than-Snowmane, but I'm quite uninterested in a complete Minas Tirith set in any scale that a Lego set - normal or UCS - could achieve (and obviously even more uninterested in a bigger scale model than that, because I happen to have only two kidneys).

2. Éowyn vs. Witch King - Well, d'oh, obviously. I suppose the winged beast would have to be brick-built as there's not that much scenery to include - a mûmak carcass doesn't exactly count. Éowyn, Witch King and Merry are the most important characters to include. Théoden on Snowmane (with a barding) would be a cool addition, no denying that, but I fear it would hike up the price too much and upset the balance of figures and bricks. Besides, the only thing Théoden does in the scene is dying, which might be something Lego would want to avoid depicting.

3. Gandalf vs. balrog - Not the easiest thing, but could be very cool. As I've said before, I'd like cool Moria goblins with unique helmets as much as the next guy but I don't want them in this set. Just same old Gandalf and an awesome balrog, please. Well, you can include the bridge if you want.

Honorary mention: Meduseld (that's the royal house in Edoras) as the next big exclusive set. Of course even if we do get another exclusive after Orthanc it's likely to be from The Hobbit... but a man can dream.

My top 3:

Eowyn vs. the witch king

A small prologue set would be nice with the king, esildor and sauron if for no other reason to get a minifigure scale sauron.

Gandalf vs. the balrog at kazhadum. Just the bridge with a collapsing feature and the balrog from the videogame. It would also give people who didn't get orthanc the chance to get a Gandalf with cape and hair unless he didn't wear one in that scene in which case this set could also include moria orcs perhaps with helmets and one with a bow and arrow. maybe they could also include boromir as he has only been included in one set so far of the line.

Edited by legofreak86

I have two variant lists for my top 3 sets for the next LOTR wave. The first is my personal wish and the second is more realistic based on the Lego group and what we've already seen in previous waves.

Wish Top 3:

UCS Rivendell $200 set w/ Exclusive Lindir, Elrond in new print, Arwen in new print, Aragorn in silver brocade print, Old Bilbo w. scary alternate face, 2-4 Elven guards, Frodo new mithril print or rehash, rehash Boromir, Elven maiden flute player, Elven harpist, exclusive Asfaloth, exclusive Glorfindel (nod to book fans). Set features main gate of Rivendell with bridge, a tower, Frodo guest room, shrine of Narsil, Elrond's library, and platform to attach Council of Elrond set. Can recreate key story scenes like Bilbo giving Sting to Frodo, Frodo awaking from Morgul wound, Boromir and Aragorn talking about the blade that was broken, Arwen and Aragorn receiving Evenstar, and book purists Arwen returning Asfaloth to Glorfindel. :D

Caras Galadhon $60 set w/ 2 galadhrim, Celeborn exclusive, Galadriel, Haldir in Lorien garb exclusive, Frodo rehash and Aragorn rehash, white palace set where fellowship meet The Lord and Lady of Lorien

The Fall of Sauron $40 set w/ Gil-galad exclusive, Sauron, Elendil exclusive, slopes of Dagorlad set, Prince Isildur exclusive, rehash Elrond. Recreate the pivotal end of the Battle of the Last Alliance

Realistic Top 3:

Witchking on Fell Beast against Merry and Dernhelm (Eowyn), Battle of Pelennor Fields set. Recreate scene where Eowyn defeats the Witchking of Angmar.

The Bridge of Khazadum w/ Balrog and Gandalf in new wounded print, 2 armored Moria orcs, Legolas rehash, Frodo rehash. Recreate scene where Gandalf stands against Durin's Bane and the fellowship is attacked by Moria Orc archers. Includes fall apart stairs, narrow bridge and a mountain cleft.

Tower of Ecthelion w/ 2 Fountain Guards, Faramir exclusive, King Elessar, Queen Arwen, Gandalf the White rehash, Denethor exclusive, White tree with courtyard and the tall gleaming white tower. Recreate scenes such as Denethor falling to his doom and the wedding/coronation of King Elessar.

LotR is a battle theme with big armies and big armies needing soldiers!

My alliance still have just commanders (movie characters) and one regular soldier (one regular Rohirrim) and they’re faces to superior numbers of orcs. Where is their army?

I have only troops of Gandalfs and Aragorns. But they have no support and those lines will be immediately broken by Saruman’s Uruk-hai.

LEGO: Stay with them! Help them! Otherwise the good will lose!

They need immediately an army! -PLEASE :cry2:

Edited by Elander

I'll be deeply disapointed if we don't get an Edoras set and a Minas Tirith one. A Gondor soldier battle pack is a must too.

Later this year The Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG will release an expansion that will bring Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. I'd love if Lego would jump in and released that set for Christmas. For some reason, it makes me think of the dinner hall in the last Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle.

Gondor Soldier/Mordor Orc (new print PLEASE) army builder similar to the Uruk-hai Army set

But then with just regular soldiers, no character minifigs. Like they do with the SW battlepacks.

But then with just regular soldiers, no character minifigs. Like they do with the SW battlepacks.

A pure battle pack with no named characters would be ideal, but if Lego feels they MUST include at least one like they did in the Uruk-hai Army set then I would be fine with something that looks pretty generic. Faramir in his Gondor garb with a helmet could easily look and serve as a second Gondor soldier if we only got one "real" soldier in the set.

^ that would be ok I like my arm of Eomers better than the Rohan Soldier as there is a lot more printing and I think they look better.

I just realized that we may have increased hope for a Balrog set. One of the new races in the Chima line will be Bat people. With Bat themed vehicles. Hopefully this means some nice new vehicle sized bat wings. Which convert well to our old friend the Ballhog... Err Balrog. (And if you get that reference you are probably too damn old to be playing with Lego... Like me)

I'm still waiting for that inevitable 4 Hobbit battle-pack with flick fire carrot sticks for fighting off farmer Maggot.

I'm still waiting for that inevitable 4 Hobbit battle-pack with flick fire carrot sticks for fighting off farmer Maggot.

Inevitable... Isn't the right word. :laugh:

I talked to one of my local TRU managers today. Apparently LOTR isn't that great of a seller "because kids don't know the storyline". Still, it's only one store, so take it for what it's worth. :sceptic:

Edited by SheepEater

I talked to one of my local TRU managers today. Apparently LOTR isn't that great of a seller "because kids don't know the storyline". Still, it's only one store, so take it for what it's worth. :sceptic:

Totally understandable. Lego should put screens in stores with that little cg video they have retelling the story. If theres no lotr sets next year maybe we can get a full 6+ sets for the hobbit!

And who know maybe because it doesent sell much lego chouse to hold back some of its sets from this year and will release another small wave with those next year.

Nooooooo I would never give up LOTR sets for Hobbit sets.

Yeah, me too. My liking is on the side of LotR.

Nooooooo I would never give up LOTR sets for Hobbit sets.

I feel the same. None of the first Hobbit Lego sets really impressed me other than an Unexpected Gathering, and that could of easily been a LotR set if it had different minifigs. Other than a Smaug set and a Bo5A/Erebor one, I would MUCH rather get more LotR sets.

Maybe its just the nostalgia speaking but I feel the LotR books were significantly better than the Hobbit and so far the films seem to be the same.

Edited by Deathleech

I don't understand the love for the battle of five armies. I just read the book the other week (for the first time) and it seemed there was some brief fighting and then Bilbo was knocked out so we missed it all. Of course, the figures might be interesting. As far as I can tell lego has done wonders with what they were given.

I don't understand the love for the battle of five armies. I just read the book the other week (for the first time) and it seemed there was some brief fighting and then Bilbo was knocked out so we missed it all. Of course, the figures might be interesting. As far as I can tell lego has done wonders with what they were given.

That's why I would like to see it made into a set, it pretty much has every main character from the book involved. Thranduil, Beorn, Dain, Bard, all 13 dwarves, Gandalf, Bilbo, Bolg, wargs, eagles, goblins, dwarves, humans, and elves. There's a lot of room to add unique characters and cool creatures/factions. It's also the only really big battle in the book other than Laketown fending off Smaug, but the Bo5A actually has armies clashing so it would make a good action set too. Compared to some of the LotR battles it is fairly short and wrapped up quickly, but that's pretty much how everything happens in the Hobbit book.

Edited by Deathleech

Well the battle still goes on when bilbo is knocked out, do not expect PJ to skip a massive battle ;)